rllmuk
Orko

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Without too many spoilers, could someone give me some guidance about what to do next? I'm still in Velen.

Spoiler

I've just released a trapped female ghost from the top of a rat-infested tower but she turned out to be a baddie and has now murdered her husband. Back at Keira's place, the pellar has come asking me go back with him to the tower for all-soul's night celebrations. I'm only level 7, will I be able to hack this quest? I feel like I 'need' to do it now continuity-wise if you see what I mean, but I'm scared of that killer wraith I just released.

4 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Without too many spoilers, could someone give me some guidance about what to do next? I'm still in Velen.

Reveal hidden contents

I've just released a trapped female ghost from the top of a rat-infested tower but she turned out to be a baddie and has now murdered her husband. Back at Keira's place, the pellar has come asking me go back with him to the tower for all-soul's night celebrations. I'm only level 7, will I be able to hack this quest? I feel like I 'need' to do it now continuity-wise if you see what I mean, but I'm scared of that killer wraith I just released.

It is not a particularly easy quest but you should be able to deal with it if you are properly prepared. I always followed upon the quests when I felt I needed to for continuity purposes. Do not be afraid to take breaks from the main quest to earn some money from contracts though. If you just want to go on with the story just turn enemy scaling on and just return whenever you want for the side content. It will still feel as fresh.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, I'll give it a go. I sometimes find if the quests are too difficult I have no choice but to run away and leave them unfinished, which is very un-Geralt-like. There's a poor village out there being terrorised by a werewolf which I promised to take down, before noping it out of there a few seconds into the fight. The whole village is probably dead by now.

Cheers, I'll give it a go. I sometimes find if the quests are too difficult I have no choice but to run away and leave them unfinished, which is very un-Geralt-like. There's a poor village out there being terrorised by a werewolf which I promised to take down, before noping it out of there a few seconds into the fight. The whole village is probably dead by now.

That is a great quest but also a notoriously difficult one, even if your level matches it. There are also various ways to deal with the werewolf though. [emoji6]

Errr, I had 32000+ crowns yesterday and noticed today that I only have 400 now!   Wheres all my money gone...?   Only thing I can think I did since then was to up the difficulty to Death March level, and I also accidently picked up some junk in front of a guard who then beat me and arrested me.   Would the guard take all my cash?

Is that normal..?   To be honest, money is all but useless for me at least as although I earn a lot through selling gear I rarely have any need to buy anything with it.   Spent the last few hours on Death March difficulty, makes the game more interesting as you actually have to pay attention to the battles.   Even a group of Drowners can catch you out if you are off-guard.

Something that's been bothering me for the 100+ hours I've played this thing: Why does Geralt have those weird looking marks on the side of his head in the title screen? The top one looks like a wonky 'S' and the one below appears to be a hairy ball bag.

He doesn't have them in the game proper, or at least I've never seen them.

maxresdefault-1.jpg

15 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

If you have the GOTY version it just swaps between the 3 title screens randomly.

Mine is always what looks like Triss in a hut in the background on the GOTY version!

5 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Mine is always what looks like Triss in a hut in the background on the GOTY version!

Not Triss :D

Something much more interesting (well, for me at least, as I'm not a huge fan of the red-head :P )

But when you do get around to all the DLC, just make sure you rewatch some of the old trailers...it goes back to the point about how much CDPR planned in advance!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Not Triss :D

Something much more interesting (well, for me at least, as I'm not a huge fan of the red-head :P )

But when you do get around to all the DLC, just make sure you rewatch some of the old trailers...it goes back to the point about how much CDPR planned in advance!

That trailer with the woman in question was amazing. You can hear the song she sings in the trailer in the distance if you wait on the title screen long enough.

7 minutes ago, buzz711 said:

As a novice to this type of game how easy is it to get into?

Pretty straightforward - it has a great little tutorial at the beginning, which leads directly to the game proper - and even then you're reigned in a little so you can get to grips with everything. It does take a while for things to click for sure, but if/when it does you'll be hooked.

You can spend a good few hours wandering the tutorial level. It's taken me 18 months to get into it properly. It's a game that demands your full attention and lengthy play sessions if you want to progress and make a dent in it's rich content. The writing has to be treated like a heavy fantasy tome and demands that you get to know characters to further enhance the twists and turns of the narative along with the way it introduces and intertwines plots across the main quest and side quests.

It's a fascinatingly well made game and thoroughly deserves playing both in terms of how well it's made and that you owe it to yourself as a gamer to play it.

I got serious with it at the start of the year and have put about 50 hours in on normal difficulty. That's a massive commitment considering it doesn't have any cars in it.

• Upvote 4

Spent around 40 hours in Skellige now and thought I'd seen most of it. Done a lot of quests and a lot of aimless wandering. As the main quest has just moved me to the next main area I decided to turn on the points of interest on the map to see if I'd missed anything. 

Suffice to say, I had missed something. I counted around 30 unvisited question marks. 

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

At this point, I'm thinking the level of content that CDPR have put into this verges on the sadistic. 

5 hours ago, wretcherd said:

I played chapter 1 of Witcher 2 a couple months ago, should I finish that before moving on to this? A mate bought me the GOTY edition for Christmas.

I would suggest you go for it. W2 is one of the best RPGs out there, with a great story and complex characters. It ties nicely to the third and you will feel an amazing step up in quality step when you reach W3.

W2 has a more nuanced mature story which is not about saving the universe. The compact nature of each chapter gives it more of a 'book' feel. The places you visit are more distinct, with unique personalities, character and struggles. I feel this is not always the case in W3. I cannot always tell Novigrad from Oxenfurt for example. the fact that the entire world is connected in W3 in my opinion makes everything feel smaller rather than larger. The fact that in W2 it is not connected and often people don't even know what's going on in other places, gives it a more authentic feel of what living in that world may be like. The fact that you can ride your horse in 10 minutes from one kind of weather to another in W3 makes it feel more like a game. Each chapter in W2 changes the look of the game entirely down to lighting and weather effects. Playing W2 I felt transported ala the first time I saw Neverending Story. So much so that the game seemed longer than it was. The idea to have a whole middle section of the game which is optional took balls that no other developer has. Having said that the original combat of W2 was shit. 

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Hmmmm, I've got Witcher 2 digital on 360 and backward compatible. I recall rather liking the combat once I'd upgraded Geralt's abilities. It made the game a touch easy, sure, but it still felt satisfying pirouetting from one villain to the next, like a deadly ballet dancer. 

I think they did a lot to the combat following release in the enhanced edition and when released on 360. when I first gave it a go on PC on release it was rough. or maybe I wanted every game to be like batman then. not sure. :D

34 minutes ago, Oz said:

I think they did a lot to the combat following release in the enhanced edition and when released on 360. when I first gave it a go on PC on release it was rough. or maybe I wanted every game to be like batman then. not sure. :D

The combat was almost unrecognisable from W2's original release to the enhanced edition...it's still clanky as hell, but the game still oozes atmosphere!