IGNORED

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Doctor Shark

5 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Mine is always what looks like Triss in a hut in the background on the GOTY version!

Not Triss :D

Something much more interesting (well, for me at least, as I'm not a huge fan of the red-head :P )

But when you do get around to all the DLC, just make sure you rewatch some of the old trailers...it goes back to the point about how much CDPR planned in advance!

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Not Triss :D

Something much more interesting (well, for me at least, as I'm not a huge fan of the red-head :P )

But when you do get around to all the DLC, just make sure you rewatch some of the old trailers...it goes back to the point about how much CDPR planned in advance!

That trailer with the woman in question was amazing. You can hear the song she sings in the trailer in the distance if you wait on the title screen long enough.

7 minutes ago, buzz711 said:

As a novice to this type of game how easy is it to get into?

Pretty straightforward - it has a great little tutorial at the beginning, which leads directly to the game proper - and even then you're reigned in a little so you can get to grips with everything. It does take a while for things to click for sure, but if/when it does you'll be hooked.

You can spend a good few hours wandering the tutorial level. It's taken me 18 months to get into it properly. It's a game that demands your full attention and lengthy play sessions if you want to progress and make a dent in it's rich content. The writing has to be treated like a heavy fantasy tome and demands that you get to know characters to further enhance the twists and turns of the narative along with the way it introduces and intertwines plots across the main quest and side quests.

It's a fascinatingly well made game and thoroughly deserves playing both in terms of how well it's made and that you owe it to yourself as a gamer to play it.

I got serious with it at the start of the year and have put about 50 hours in on normal difficulty. That's a massive commitment considering it doesn't have any cars in it.

Spent around 40 hours in Skellige now and thought I'd seen most of it. Done a lot of quests and a lot of aimless wandering. As the main quest has just moved me to the next main area I decided to turn on the points of interest on the map to see if I'd missed anything. 

Suffice to say, I had missed something. I counted around 30 unvisited question marks. 

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

At this point, I'm thinking the level of content that CDPR have put into this verges on the sadistic. 

5 hours ago, wretcherd said:

I played chapter 1 of Witcher 2 a couple months ago, should I finish that before moving on to this? A mate bought me the GOTY edition for Christmas.

I would suggest you go for it. W2 is one of the best RPGs out there, with a great story and complex characters. It ties nicely to the third and you will feel an amazing step up in quality step when you reach W3.

W2 has a more nuanced mature story which is not about saving the universe. The compact nature of each chapter gives it more of a 'book' feel. The places you visit are more distinct, with unique personalities, character and struggles. I feel this is not always the case in W3. I cannot always tell Novigrad from Oxenfurt for example. the fact that the entire world is connected in W3 in my opinion makes everything feel smaller rather than larger. The fact that in W2 it is not connected and often people don't even know what's going on in other places, gives it a more authentic feel of what living in that world may be like. The fact that you can ride your horse in 10 minutes from one kind of weather to another in W3 makes it feel more like a game. Each chapter in W2 changes the look of the game entirely down to lighting and weather effects. Playing W2 I felt transported ala the first time I saw Neverending Story. So much so that the game seemed longer than it was. The idea to have a whole middle section of the game which is optional took balls that no other developer has. Having said that the original combat of W2 was shit. 

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Hmmmm, I've got Witcher 2 digital on 360 and backward compatible. I recall rather liking the combat once I'd upgraded Geralt's abilities. It made the game a touch easy, sure, but it still felt satisfying pirouetting from one villain to the next, like a deadly ballet dancer. 

I think they did a lot to the combat following release in the enhanced edition and when released on 360. when I first gave it a go on PC on release it was rough. or maybe I wanted every game to be like batman then. not sure. :D

34 minutes ago, Oz said:

I think they did a lot to the combat following release in the enhanced edition and when released on 360. when I first gave it a go on PC on release it was rough. or maybe I wanted every game to be like batman then. not sure. :D

The combat was almost unrecognisable from W2's original release to the enhanced edition...it's still clanky as hell, but the game still oozes atmosphere!

1 minute ago, Oz said:

you don't need to fight that guy. I greeted him and he went on his merry way. witchers before hoes. 

And of course, doing that means you might have a nice little storyline open up in W3 just because of that!

21 hours ago, Oz said:

W2 has a more nuisance mature story which is not about saving the universe. The compact nature of each chapter gives it more of a 'book' feel. The places you visit are more distinct, with unique personalities, character and struggles. I feel this is not always the case in W3. I cannot always tell Novigrad from Oxenfurt for example. the fact that the entire world is connected in W3 in my opinion makes everything feel smaller rather than larger. The fact that in W2 it is not connected and often people don't even know what's going on in other places, gives it a more authentic feel of what living in that world may be like. The fact that you can ride your horse in 10 minutes from one kind of weather to another in W3 makes it feel more like a game. Each chapter in W2 changes the look of the game entirely down to lighting and weather effects. Playing W2 I felt transported ala the first time I saw Neverending Story. So much so that the game seemed longer than it was. The idea to have a whole middle section of the game which is optional took balls that no other developer has. Having said that the original combat of W2 was shit. 

I love W2, one of my favorite RPGs ever, but this post Oz is spectacularly wrong. :P

The story in W3 has nothing to do with saving the world. As a matter of fact, it is rarely -if ever- discussed amongst the characters. The only one who seems to care about ''saving the world'' is

Spoiler

Avallach

, but it is clear that his motives are far from pure. Powerful men do not care about Ithiline's prophecy, common folk only whisper it

Spoiler

and the end game does not even bother to explain it.

This is a coming of age story that shows the need for personal freedom and choice along with the all time classic ''what the abuse of power does to people''.

Everyone wants to control Ciri for their own purposes, not for saving the world. She has been trying to live a free life, to make her own choices since she was a child. The game is first and foremost about that: how a character with extraordinary power to change things can have a personal life, a free life. That is why, in the entire game, Ciri cares more about choosing freely than actually saving the world. That is a byproduct of her being in the right place at the right time, with the right abilities.

The story also touches the dysfunctional make-believe family of Geralt and Yennefer, as they try to feel relevant in a world that treats them with fear and disdain. They actually try to guide Ciri through all of this, even though only Geralt seems to be the one who has no ulterior motives. It is left up to the player to decide how to treat Ciri, trusting her to make a choice or manipulating her. There is an amazing line near the end of the game, when Geralt

Spoiler

tries to advise Ciri, and she responds with the glorious: ''what do you know about saving the world, silly, you are just a lowly witcher?''

It is a direct reference to all the ''saving the world'' rpgs and at that moment, the most important moment, CD decides to make the player feel

Spoiler

insignificant instead of powerful.

And the reason is because this is not a ''saving the world quest''.

The general story and the world are leagues better than anything in W2. In W2 Geralt does not interact with almost anyone outside the main story, so the actual places and people are left generally unexplored. In W3 the devastated land is full of stories, love drama, war drama, curses, poverty and weakness, that make the world come alive. The political background in W2 is also kind of a mess. Important characters like

Spoiler

Saskia or Henselt

are left unexplored, as kingdoms clash to control the land. Due to resources the player is forced to try and come to terms with personas like Jon Natalis that are completely detached from the player. In W3, Geralt is in the middle of everything and the players are explained, their motives clear. Just the Reasons of State questline is more mature and political than the entire W2.

I will give you though that the soundtrack is probably better in W2.

@Talk Show HostYeah this precise thing of Geralt having conversations and being involved in a million things in the city feels gamey to me. He does not interact with anyone outside the main story because he has a fucking Keyran to go kill in W2. Just because they can create more content does not mean they should. I feel the improvements in technology left some of the nuance aspects of Witcher 2 behind in favor or more, more, more of everything. at any point in time you are working on a dozen different contracts. it breaks the game for me. I would prefer that he had one contract at a time. and was nearly killed on each one. and then took three months to recover. so an entire chapter was just him recovering with the healing nuns (and maybe shagging one). I like that he doesn't interact with everyone in flotsam and not everyone is the city needs his help with a very personal tale. He is just minding his own business and doing a couple of witcher contracts. AND the soundtrack is way better. 

3 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Oz, I hate to be that guy, and I know you're Dutch and all, but do you mean nuanced, rather than nuisance? 

I do. thanks Drippy. :facepalm: In the Netherlands we say nuisance when we mean nuanced. and if you don't like it you should go home. 

1 hour ago, Oz said:

@Talk Show HostYeah this precise thing of Geralt having conversations and being involved in a million things in the city feels gamey to me. He does not interact with anyone outside the main story because he has a fucking Keyran to go kill in W2. Just because they can create more content does not mean they should. I feel the improvements in technology left some of the nuance aspects of Witcher 2 behind in favor or more, more, more of everything. at any point in time you are working on a dozen different contracts. it breaks the game for me. I would prefer that he had one contract at a time. and was nearly killed on each one. and then took three months to recover. so an entire chapter was just him recovering with the healing nuns (and maybe shagging one). I like that he doesn't interact with everyone in flotsam and not everyone is the city needs his help with a very personal tale. He is just minding his own business and doing a couple of witcher contracts. AND the soundtrack is way better. 

All the major side quests are needed because they are part of the story and he takes contracts because he is a witcher. It is his job. Whatever he does is part of the main plot and anything that isn't can be safely ignored, so it is the player that breaks the immersion, not the game. if you want to deal with the main story, go ahead and do that and create an epic tale with no interruptions from start to finish, doing some contracts from time to time if you want. 

There is nothing different in W2, just less of it because of lack of resources. Geralt is involved in at least 4 side quests before he goes for the Kayran and, after that, he is fine with a simple swallow potion. Having Geralt take a three month downtime healing may make for a nice read, but gameplay wise is impossible and it doesn't achieve anything. What you are describing is a "problem" in all open world games and RPGs and it is only a problem if you choose to see it as one.

Anyway, my post was mainly about the W2 story being more mature because it feels more "political", more "personal" and that the W3 is a "world saving quest". I find these statements completely missing the mark in my opinion.

24 minutes ago, Talk Show Host said:

Anyway, my post was mainly about the W2 story being more mature because it feels more "political", more "personal" and that the W3 is a "world saving quest". I find these statements completely missing the mark in my opinion.

Capture.PNG

I could argue that Matrix is about plato's cave. but it is really about kung fu and slow motion effects. :D