IGNORED

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Doctor Shark

I've just finished the cave sequence where you take on the first Wild Hunt guy and it has pretty much taken until now for me to fully grasp the combat. Coming in from Batman I was very hacky-slashy and was convinced that there was a tutorial or something I'd missed. Now that I'm taking my time with the combat a bit more and applying some intelligence to fights rather than just swinging away like a drunken knight, things are going much better.

I haven't checked, but I assume there is some way to turn off the HUD in the game? I'll definitely be going on some photography adventures at some point, it's such a ridiculously pretty game.

I've just finished the cave sequence where you take on the first Wild Hunt guy and it has pretty much taken until now for me to fully grasp the combat. Coming in from Batman I was very hacky-slashy and was convinced that there was a tutorial or something I'd missed. Now that I'm taking my time with the combat a bit more and applying some intelligence to fights rather than just swinging away like a drunken knight, things are going much better.

I haven't checked, but I assume there is some way to turn off the HUD in the game? I'll definitely be going on some photography adventures at some point, it's such a ridiculously pretty game.

Pop along to the options screen - I think under 'gameplay' or possibly HUD configuration. You can turn off everything...

Apart from damn icons which tell you characters that you can 'talk' to - unless I've missed it somewhere.

nearing the end now

we know where Carrie is and I'm collecting NPC's to fight with me against the Wild Hunt

. Only lvl 27 despite only having a couple of witcher contracts left to do and no obvious yellow marks on the map except for a druid who seems to be broken. Does Gwent generate a lot of XP?

nearing the end now

we know where Carrie is and I'm collecting NPC's to fight with me against the Wild Hunt

. Only lvl 27 despite only having a couple of witcher contracts left to do and no obvious yellow marks on the map except for a druid who seems to be broken. Does Gwent generate a lot of XP?

Hee-hee. You got so much left to do :D

Still can't get over just how big and detailed the world is in this- I've been playing for a huge amount of time and still only just started the main story thread in Skellige.

There are loads of lovely little touches- like how the quick travel markers are different depending on where they're placed in the world. Sometimes they're a signpost in a town, but other times in the outer reaches of Skellige they're just a pile of rocks as a marker stone. I'm not sure I've ever seen so much work go into one game before.

nearing the end now

You aren't as close to the end as you think. I'm past that and I still haven't finished.

EDIT: What everyone else said.

nearing the end now

You're only about halfway through Act 2.

edit: beaten by everyone

When do the sub quests become more than 'go here, kill something'?

Early days, I'm only on the second location, but I'm not exactly enthralled so far.

When you say "second location" do you mean Velen? For early stuff, the side quests Keira gives you after 'Wandering In The Dark' on the main quest are really good, and can be done at about level 6. Also the 'Family Matters'/'Ladies of the Wood' lines that stem from the Bloody Baron stuff are both excellent. Once you get to Novigrad, 'Of Dairy & Darkness' (level 9, from a merchant in Gildorf Square) is good, and 'Carnal Sins' (level 16, from Dandelion) is great.

Witcher contracts by their very nature are always going to essentially be 'Go here, track something, kill it', although there are a few that have more story tied in or involve more elaborate hunting. 'Contract: Skellige's Most Wanted', which admittedly is a loooong way off for you, is particularly good, and its outcome is very dependent on how you've acted in previous contracts.

Smashed my highest Gwent score earlier.... 161 from 14 cards played that round...

How high are you guys scoring (I'm still only level 14)?

Couldn't give you a high score off the top of my head, but your hand looks 'highly' proficient. ;)

Like you, I got bitten by the Gwent Bug ages ago, and have been obsessively chasing them down - after all, one of the secondary quests is completing your Gwent collection. Unfortunately, I'm here to tell you that it's NIGH IMPOSSIBLE to do this

if you cannot beat Finneas in a fist fight during the final round of the High Stakes tournament

because the last of the Scoia'tael leader cards (Francesca Findabair) is your reward afterwards. It's probably the biggest comedown I've experienced after eighteen (in-game) days of slavishly attempting to tie up loose ends.

Never mind that I've a permanent blotch on my record with three failed quests (possibly because I didn't realise you could fail them if you weren't paying attention - note: it helps if you undertake quests when they are comfortably within your level, not only for the XP which scales off accordingly, but also because low-level quests sometimes refuse to trigger when you've let the trail go cold. For example, there's some woebegone "whoreson" with a quest marker encircling his head who's been left to rail against a locked door in Novigrad forever, simply because he refuses to recognise me. Oh, the humility).

And here am I, painstakingly criss-crossing the map(s), visiting EVERY question mark in my quest to properly 'finish' the game. Again, I'm here to tell you that after a good day's worth (in real time) of high seas bollocks, there are still three question marks that won't unlock! Granted, I've now hit a story beat

that unlocks the door to Bald Mountain

but what of that 'Ancient Crypt' due east of Kaer Trolde? Apparently, it leads to two unknown locations within. Harrumph. Will I even score a reward for doing this? That's an unknown, too.

As much as I'm loving the game, it's the little things that grate. To refrain: like "completing" my Gwent collection. Because I'm holding 129 cards in total, but still haven't obtained the last leader card for Monsters (Eredin - Destroyer of Worlds). I mean, seriously? HOW TO OBTAIN ALL GWENT CARDS WHEN I'VE BESTED EACH & EVERY OPPONENT*?

*Apart from that ne'er-do-well who called me a cheater in the High Stakes tournament and insisted on duking it out - albeit who cheated himself by having a inexhaustible stamina bar! Ugh.

The quests in this really show what games like GTA should be doing going forward. I love GTA but I can't say that the quests have really done anything different or emergent since GTA3.

In this, if you happen to have jumped ahead and met someone or done something for them when you go back to a lower level quest it 'remembers' instead of trying to introduce the character as new. It's a little thing that a lot of games don't do but adds so much to immersion.

Let's face it, pretty much all missions in games can be deconstructed to 'go here and do that that' but Witcher 3 just does that little bit more.

GTAV staggered me with the scope and detail for its world but this is something else entirely. I actually can't fathom how they did it.

When do the sub quests become more than 'go here, kill something'?

Early days, I'm only on the second location, but I'm not exactly enthralled so far.

There are remarkably few bread and butter quests in this, whether main quest related, side quests or even the smaller scale things arising from yellow exclamation marks. Once you have had one unexpected and totally unpredictable outcome, you tend to want to see everything :) The only issue really is sufficient time and taking the odd break to avoid being jaded.

According to the XBO leader boards, I'm exactly 50% done after 117 hours: just started act 2 with quite a few o/s bits and pieces. I'll never get 100% since I failed a couple of quests by not doing things in the "correct" order in Novigrad and not adequately defending the dude on the battlefield. :lol:

And here am I, painstakingly criss-crossing the map(s), visiting EVERY question mark in my quest to properly 'finish' the game. Again, I'm here to tell you that after a good day's worth (in real time) of high seas bollocks, there are still three question marks that won't unlock! Granted, I've now hit a story beat

that unlocks the door to Bald Mountain

but what of that 'Ancient Crypt' due east of Kaer Trolde? Apparently, it leads to two unknown locations within. Harrumph. Will I even score a reward for doing this? That's an unknown, too.

You go to the Ancient Crypt towards the end of the main quest.

There is no formal achievement for uncovering every map marker.

You go to the Ancient Crypt towards the end of the main quest.

There is no formal achievement for uncovering every map marker.

Ta for that! Oh well, akin to my obsessive-compulsive wandering in Skyrim, there's nowt to be said for completionism (Gwent cards aside). *sigh*

I smashed my record again with 176 winning round. Gwent is so addictive!

I've never even noticed the score tbh; I just think I'm being inefficient if I smash an opponent with a really high score. It's what the ai sometimes does in the first round with a monster deck. By playing small cards and using spies etc you can get them to spunk all their decent cards in the first round. Take the loss and then destroy them in round 2 and 3; it's not about the battle, it's all about the war!

I've never even noticed the score tbh; I just think I'm being inefficient if I smash an opponent with a really high score. It's what the ai sometimes does in the first round with a monster deck. By playing small cards and using spies etc you can get them to spunk all their decent cards in the first round. Take the loss and then destroy them in round 2 and 3; it's not about the battle, it's all about the war!

These are my third round scores to win the game, not one off rounds designed to show off ;) I use decoys and spies, usually in the first round, which builds up the size of my hand. I usually pass on the first round, then the opponent usually passes on the second (so I win using 1 or 2 cards)... then the final round is full on assault with the cards I've built up from the first. Obviously it doesn't always work like that but if my spies get drawn and the opponent also uses spies (which I take for myself using decoys) then I can go into the final round with 14 cards to play.

Gwent is marvellous but I do feel a bit OP with my current Northern Realms deck. There should probably be a limit on how many special cards you can hold in one hand.

Still hopelessly addicted though!

I've just got to Skellige and oh my is it a beautiful landscape.

Yeah, Skellige is lovely. I took a quick detour there (despite only just arriving in Novigrad) as there was a quest that took me there briefly. But I headed straight back. Looking forward to exploring there properly some time in the future.

Patch 1.07 sounds really good. Glad to see storage options at last. Because of this patch there will be no free DLC this week.

• A new, alternative (optional) movement response mode for Geralt.
  • A player stash for storing items, available in various locations throughout the game. Stash locations are marked on the player's map.
  • Crafting and alchemy components no longer add to the overall inventory weight.
  • Books are now placed in a dedicated tab in the Inventory and books that have already been read are properly grayed out.
  • Multiple sorting options are now available in the Inventory.
  • Alchemy formulas and crafting diagrams can be "pinned", meaning all components and ingredients required to make them will be conveniently marked in the Shop panel.
  • Dozens of fixes for quest related issues, both major and minor.
  • A few performance enhancements, including the optimization of FX, scenes and general gameplay.
  • Various improvements to horse behavior.

Patch 1.07 sounds really good. Glad to see storage options at last. Because of this patch there will be no free DLC this week.

Although, Sony being the fuckups they usually prove to be have thoughtfully put up a sneak peek of one of the DLCs - Ciri's alternative costume (which looks quite nice)...

ciridlc.jpg.jpg

This game . This fucking game . I'm quite near the end I think . But I remember thinking talk show host was going well overboard in his praise for it . I take it all back . Sorry TSH . This thing is incredible .

So glad to hear that they're sorting out some of the inventory issues. I've been spending time mopping up a lot of quest markers on the game (not too bothered about being over levelled. I'm Geralt, Witcher extraordinaire) and my collection of Witcher armour and books is getting a bit excessive and restrictive.

It's a foundation :D

The ending was proper payoff , left me hanging thinking ciri may not have survived . Then I get a silver sword and get to name it swallow . Then I ride to an inn , hoping that ciri wil be there ... And she is . I pumped my fist and whooped .

She became a witcher , Geralt settled down with triss. Radovid ravaged the North . Emyr was assassinated, Cerys ruled a peaceful Skellige.

The depth and scope of this game whilst still being able to keep an emotional connection with the main characters is stunning .

I may go back and respec some abilities to play around with POI locations . And one day I'll play through it again, I'll do things differently , however, with games like this the choices you make through the story are the ones that are true to yourself and anything else feels unnatural .

Bravo CDPR, I cannot wait to see what you come up with next .