Orko

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

158 hours and I'm all done, nothing but treasure hunts and smugglers cache left. I've said it before but I love this game, it's like nothing that's come before, part of me is happy that Geralt will die in his own bed but the other part is kinda gutted I won't get to see him again, greatest game of all time.

• Upvote 7

So, I am continuing slowly but surely my third playthrough, just taking everything in and exploring every nook and cranny. I suggest to everyone to visit this CD thread, where different variations of quests and details are discussed. I was really surprised with how many different things can happen and how many secrets are scattered in the game world. 

Also, I think one of the most emotional questlines has to be the search for the wolf gear, which is essentially a trip down to memory lane for Geralt. We have read and know by rumor how the witchers are made, but seeing with our own eyes some of their experiences, the tables and tools used for the Trial of the Grasses can be truly gut wrenching. Writing and voice overs really shine here.

Here are some shots of the Bastion in Kaer Morhen, now lying in ruins, where Geralt and witchers from the school of the wolf used to train. Extraordinary stuff by CD.

Spoiler

141p73n.png

2i9305c.png

2j2vqjr.png

Pro patch is out.

"Yes, the game has just received an upgrade patch, enabling it to take advantage of the additional power offered by the PS4 Pro," CD Projekt Red told me. "When playing the game on a PS4 Pro system, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and all its additional content feature support for 4K resolution and a slight boost to performance."

• Upvote 1

The Witcher 3 is number two in my top 20 games of all time list and the first Witcher isn't on it, but still that first game remains my favourite of the trilogy. It was my introduction to the world of the Witcher, and in 2007 it blew my mind. Its shortcomings were obvious even back then, but what it did well was so amazing that the rough edges didn't matter. Since then I've not only read the books, but the first game showed me that I had been wrong in dismissing the fantasy genre as 'not for me' until that point. Sapkowski's grim world wonderfully deconstructed all the cliches you'd associate with fantasy, and the first game did the same with the rpg genre. Compared to the likes of BioWare and Bethesda it was incredibly refreshing to play an epic rpg with difficult moral choices that had no wrong and right answers. Just consequences that you had to accept and live with. No obvious good and evil, just inhabitants of a merciless world trying to get by as best they can. As I'm typing this and after watching that video I feel the need to replay it for the umpteenth time.

• Upvote 4

Nah, they weren't going to do a patch at all but eventually said they'd get a quick one out the door even though they weren't going to allocate much of a team to it.

Some devs can't fucking win.

• Upvote 3

Seems to think they've gone to the effort of implementing full on checkerboarding rather than a simple 1440p patch.

Includes downscaling support for 1080p folks. Support looks good. I'm still happier with having it at 60fps on PC but if I had a 4K telly I'd be keen to see the Xbox One X version.

Frame rate seemed better from my 10 minute test last night. I actually had to reduce the stick sensitivity as it seemed so much quicker. I am a console peasant so not really used to 60fps (and pretty much don’t care about all that stuff) and can’t tell you how much improvement was due to boost mode. I’m sure Digital Foundry will be along soon to answer that. 

I got into a few fights and it seemed rock solid. Res bump is welcome and it all looked pretty wonderful from where I was sitting.

They said many times after B&W that they were done with the game and all focus was on Cyberpunk. They’ve relented and given us something that makes an already shockingly beautiful game a bit more beautiful. I’m happy as I was expecting nothing and I’m looking forward to finally doing the DLC. If I ever stop playing fucking Destiny. 

3 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Meh, this upgrade is a fucking lazy res-bump, nothing more. Conversations are still wonky, with weird pauses. The lighting hasn't changed, with light through windows disappearing as you approach them. But worst of all, Geralt's chin still annoyingly clips through the collar on his armour, ruining cut scenes. <_<

LAZY DEVS!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Meh, this upgrade is a fucking lazy res-bump, nothing more. Conversations are still wonky, with weird pauses. The lighting hasn't changed, with light through windows disappearing as you approach them. But worst of all, Geralt's chin still annoyingly clips through the collar on his armour, ruining cut scenes. <_<

I'd have preferred a 1080p option with more graphical bells and whistles. Very disappointing from CDPR. :(

edt: Lol, my game is fucked. I can't talk to anyone. The talk logo appears, but no button prompt.  For fuck's sake! 

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Well pardon fucking me for expecting a Pro Patch that actually makes a fucking difference. :coffee:

I'm often entirely dumb-founded at how mis-understood these new consoles are by so many people. 

The Pro and X are 4 K machines, primarily. The doubled GPU is there to render essentially 2 x 1080p frame buffers and derive a check-boarded 4K imagine from them. 

You even have a 4K tv? and its now in check-boarded 4K! What the fuck are you expecting?

2 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Well pardon fucking me for expecting a Pro Patch that actually makes a fucking difference. :coffee:

Has anyone ever told you that you swear too much? 

Because you swear too much :P

But in all seriousness, what else did you want? I'm new to the PS4 pro and then only game where I've seen particular settings so far is Rise of the Tomb Raider, where it had higher framerate at 1080p, "enriched visuals" at 1080p 30fps and 4k at 30fps. I couldn't see what enriched visuals did over 4k so went with that instead. Is that the kind of thing you'd expect from a pro patch?

Edit: ah, you've answered above. Never mind!

Well, considering they said it'd be a few days back in early September, and I presume they've mostly done it to get it ready for the xboxox, it is a bit disappointing in that sense. Stuff like clipping and lighting is far more work than a simple patch, though. 

38 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

However, correct me if I'm wrong, but the clipping issue does not, I believe, happen on the PC version. I may well be wrong on that, though

It happens. I remember ut specifically happening with certain armor types. I used the Wolf school armor all the way through because I liked the look of it, even though the chin clipping annoyed me.

You should get Witcher 3 on PC LeChuck. Yes, even though it has clipping beards.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It happens. I remember ut specifically happening with certain armor types. I used the Wolf school armor all the way through because I liked the look of it, even though the chin clipping annoyed me.

You should get Witcher 3 on PC LeChuck. Yes, even though it has clipping beards.

Playing Witcher 3 on a decent PC is for me, the best reason to own one.

Even today, it's a visual feast with all the settings on ultra and with 60fps.

57 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

SHUT IT!! ;)

Anyway, here's the lighting issue I'm on about:

Am I really asking for the moon on a stick by expecting a PS4 Pro patch to fix that?

You’re certainly expecting too much.