IGNORED

Fallout 4 - VR Coming Soon

Uzi

Right so I got to a museum and killed lots of people and stole their clothes. I then got the suit on and had to fight this big monster thing. It chased me a bit until it fell into the hole it had first emerged from, it couldn't move so I battered it with a tyre iron until it died. Bethesda, never change :rolleyes:

I don't think I'll bother with this actually. It looks so dated and brown and ugly. The last game I played was Assassins Creed Origins so perhaps I've been graphically spoilt with that. I'm not feeling this game at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, it can be a very beautiful looking game sometimes. Here's a couple of recent shots I took...

11gBGoH.jpg

UjY6Zwj.jpg

These are on a One X. I've also just installed, not long after the above two shots were taken, a mod called "Natural & Atmospheric Commonwealth". It's been in my favourites for ages but I've just never got round to installing it. Probably because the one screenshot on the mod page doesn't have that in-your-face "wow" factor.

But I wish I'd installed it earlier, it's amazing. It's lead me to uninstall all the separate lighting and weather mods I was running (including True Storms, never thought I'd uninstall that!!). You don't need any of them. The mod does everything and has loads of settings where you can tinker with colours, saturation, brightness, remove fog from interiors, darker nights etc. (But there's a good default preset to start you off with everything.) Some of the effects are beautifully subtle, especially sun rises and sun sets. The weathers are as good as True Storms as well. And it's small, at just under 20mb.

Highly recommended. :)

• 3 months later...

I've been playing this again, no quests really, just playing with the systems. After a few aborted attempts I decided to just make a character whose stats let them build or craft anything. I'm scouring the map for stuff to build with, and I've set up a few settlement farms which are producing enough fruit and water to make me pretty rich. I'm adventuring about looking for more traders now and trying to get enough settlers attracted to set up more shops to farm more cash. Enjoying it much more this way.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to drag up a dead thread for an old game, but I've been playing this a lot recently. Sunk about 26 hours in all and really enjoying it. I did play it originally when it first came out but really struggled with the super mutants and rage quit. This time I find them surprisingly easy though and have powered through most of the quests. Saying that, I've recently got to the point where I've made contact with all four of the "factions". I started with the Institute until I got told to go and kill some railroad synths and so decided to do their missions instead. Unfortunately, whenever I do a mission which now involves institute synths, they just ignore me. It's quite hilarious infiltrating the existing railroad base as the guy who asked me to do the mission is tagging along and being butchered whilst I just walk through like I don't exist. It sort of feels wrong to kill any of them as they don't target me.

I know part of this is about morality, but it's like the game really steers you down a particular path. The institute comes off as a bit evil with the others a sliding scale. The brotherhood, railroad and minutemen can co-exist whereas the other one does not.  Has anyone else struggled with this part or did you choose the good / evil part on purpose? I don't expect too many replies as it's likely been a while since anyone has played.

Thought I'd give this a whack, as I have time and PSNow. It's no New Vegas but it's nice enough visually and a big old map to trudge around. Wasted a couple of early perks through not looking at the new system closely enough, then went totally off-piste and am in my trademarked state of underpowered and trapped

Spoiler

in some research lab having accepted a role as employee.

Really enjoying the skulking around.

On 09/05/2020 at 10:05, tronied said:

Sorry to drag up a dead thread for an old game, but I've been playing this a lot recently. Sunk about 26 hours in all and really enjoying it. I did play it originally when it first came out but really struggled with the super mutants and rage quit. This time I find them surprisingly easy though and have powered through most of the quests. Saying that, I've recently got to the point where I've made contact with all four of the "factions". I started with the Institute until I got told to go and kill some railroad synths and so decided to do their missions instead. Unfortunately, whenever I do a mission which now involves institute synths, they just ignore me. It's quite hilarious infiltrating the existing railroad base as the guy who asked me to do the mission is tagging along and being butchered whilst I just walk through like I don't exist. It sort of feels wrong to kill any of them as they don't target me.

I know part of this is about morality, but it's like the game really steers you down a particular path. The institute comes off as a bit evil with the others a sliding scale. The brotherhood, railroad and minutemen can co-exist whereas the other one does not.  Has anyone else struggled with this part or did you choose the good / evil part on purpose? I don't expect too many replies as it's likely been a while since anyone has played.

I think the completist in me meant that I kept all the threads of the game alive as long as I could. I did feel like a right bastard doing it, but then it's a cruel world out there, and you have to look out for yourself.

• 7 months later...

Fired up the VR version of this to use on my Quest 2.  So far seems to work fine on virtual desktop which is fantastic as this is one of the more demanding VR games, however I’ve turned VR graphics streaming to low and have installed the VR optimisation mods.  I’m having problems getting the Idle hands mod to work the way I want to.

Playing this in VR with the Idle Hands and Kabuto VR mods.  Love it.

Bit confused about power armour though.  The fusion core has run out of charge.  I can still use the power armour but eventually my walking speed goes to a crawl.  I can exit the power armour and go back in then I get walking speed back for a while.  Not sure if that supposed to happen but it got to a point where I could not get back into the armour at all so I've abandoned the armour for now.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Played through this years ago, felt it was kind of alright for a one time play through. Never bought the DLC but I was always interested in it, so what better way to have it all in one neat package then the GOTY edition for a measly 10 euro (8 GBP). To keep things fresh I went for the opposite of a sneaky sniper build: a heavy weapon tank. As well as using different companions, completing quests in a different way etc. Might as well experience a different Fallout 4.

So far:

- Minutemen fella does not take no for an answer. No I do not want to help, no I do not want to be general, no I do not want any of it. So I guess I am a general of the minutemen now.

- Paladin Danse bugged out. He insists on fighting ghouls that aren't there halting progress of his quest. Google yields results from the day the game came out. God damn it Bethesda.

But fine, sure. I did a ton of stuff on the side and after like 30 hours or so I decided to stop by Diamond City. Upon arrival I realised I just did not care. The Railroad, the Institute, the bad guy from there beginning, the stuff with Piper and Valentine. I just can't.

Instead I downloaded some mods for infinite ammo and decided to pursue Far Harbour and whatever the robot one is called. First on the list: robots. I meet Jezebel, she asked me a question to which I can answer [sarcastic] (I think, it might be [maybe]), [yes] and [no]. The only way to progress is to answer [yes]. Everything else accomplished nothing.

I just can't. I can't even pretend to care about any of it. Oxhorn surely has a neat 2 hour video where he explains in great details everything that happens in Far Harbour and Robotland, I rather watch that.

The most fun I had with this game was playing Far Harbour in Survival mode (I think the main game would be too gruelling this way). To be honest, I think you've gone the wrong way with the infinite ammo mod. With no challenge this game is dull, dull, dull.

Actually, whilst I have the notion I disliked the game overall I do keep remembering good bits.

Did they ever fix this so that there's actually a peril to your settlements? I spent hours building mine up and creating a wasteland fortress where my little guys could happily farm and live. Bristling with guards and gun emplacements so they were safe. But I don't think it ever once got attacked. Dunno if it's just because I built at Sanctuary and that's a safe area? But I remember thinking the whole base building thing (which I loved anyway) would have been so much better if your settlements were coming under attack from increasingly strong waves of enemies, as the quest moved forward. 

• 4 weeks later...

I must be the only person on earth still playing this (playing in VR) but did anyone get the bug where you cannot re-enter your power armour after exiting it?  I just get do not get the option to enter it and it would just become a permanent monument were I’ve parked it.  I have to reload to a previous save.  Pretty major bug if I’m never going to be able to exit my power armour without abandoning it.

• 2 weeks later...

This got me to fire this up again and try and give it a decent run through this time.

This has got me intimidated and inspired at how huge and deep this game is... I never got much more than a few hours in. The first part goes into detail over what it does better than previous games. 

I'm going to give it a decent modless attempt over the next few weeks/months/years. So far I've made a light work in my big bed holding barracks. Which I think is further than I got with the building side of things in previous plays. 

13 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

This got me to fire this up again and try and give it a decent run through this time.

Is there a new boost that also increases the resolution or is this the same FPS boost from awhile back that also lowers the resolution at the same time? The "resolution boost" bit of that video title got me confused

There's no hard data but it appears that something has upped the res along with fps boost. In a similar way to various improvements to other games where stuttering in Control disappeared without an actual patch/update specific to that game.

F4 isn't 4K 60 but it doesn't appear to be 1080/ 60 either. There is a 60fps ultra settings mod which you can apply. 

It looks and plays great in standard fps boost/dolby vision auto hdr mode on SX now. 

Like really great. The likes of which we couldn't dream of on console way back at launch.

JFnyb0x.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

There's no hard data but it appears that something has upped the res along with fps boost. In a similar way to various improvements to other games where stuttering in Control disappeared without an actual patch/update specific to that game.

F4 isn't 4K 60 but it doesn't appear to be 1080/ 60 either. There is a 60fps ultra settings mod which you can apply. 

It looks and plays great in standard fps boost/dolby vision auto hdr mode on SX now. 

Like really great. The likes of which we couldn't dream of on console way back at launch.

JFnyb0x.jpeg

Fantastic, thanks for the informative explanation :)

It doesn't surprise me coming from the current Xbox team, they're all in on QOL and quality in general improvements. Games running better thanks to under general the hood improvements is the kind of thing that they do all the time. Maybe I should finally give F4 a shot.

The building in Fallout 4 was a massive misstep, but other than that it was just a bit boring. It also should have had vehicles, it felt wrong to me not having any mode of transportation. 

I wanted to love it, but I’ve restarted about 4 or 5 times and I only ever get so far before packing in.

I don’t know exactly what Fallout 3 has that this doesn’t. Because on paper they are very similar, but in practice F3 is a way better game in every respect. 

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

The building in Fallout 4 was a massive misstep, but other than that it was just a bit boring. It also should have had vehicles, it felt wrong to me not having any mode of transportation. 

I wanted to love it, but I’ve restarted about 4 or 5 times and I only ever get so far before packing in.

I don’t know exactly what Fallout 3 has that this doesn’t. Because on paper they are very similar, but in practice F3 is a way better game in every respect. 

There is a mod called sim settlements which make the base building more interesting or automates it if you are not interested.

3 hours ago, Stanley said:

I thought this way too as I bounced off Fallout 4 a couple of times. The above video showed me how stupid I was thinking this way. On the surface it looks like Fallout 3.5 especially 6 years ago. The improvements are numerous and more behind the scenes. they are also across the board and solved many problems with Fallout 3 and opening up the game to the different camps of differing player styles and allowing the game to be played as a shooter, as a heavy rpg, or as a crafter's paradise. It's actually very impressive and the game doesn't get the credit it deserves for the work that has been done under the hood. It's a far easier game to dismiss and criticise than it is to dig deep and praise.

I got quite a way through it after starting again but it was entirely unremarkable. I also kept getting cunted by lower level super mutants which was when I uninstalled it.

I think the problem of Fallout 4 to Fallout 3 is the same Borderlands 3 has to 2, it's very, very similar to the previous game and a lot of water has passed under the bridge at this point. Having all those emergent laughs and fucked up stories are more frequently found in games these days.

Saying that I did buy the season pass so I ought to make use of it at some point.

Edit: lol I've still played it for 4 fucking days.

I picked up the season pass recently when it was silly cheap. 
I didn’t realise the game doesn’t properly support 21:9, so it looks weird on my new monitor. It’s also been a long time since I played it, so I can’t remember why I’m where I am in the game 🥺. I have a good 60hrs+ on the clock, so I’m not prepared to start again. 

I always liked the game though, I definitely enjoyed what I played even if it wasn’t a patch on FO3.

I’ll need to check out the mod @Stanleymentions, I hated the base building and if it could be automated, I’d be over the moon!