rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Asura

TERA Online - Soon free-to-play

I'm interested in giving the combat a go — especially with a controller — although the... salacious aesthetic is more than a little off-putting.

If nothing else it's another ounce of pressure on EA to make SWTOR's free option less rubbish; that's my preferred 'comfort food' MMO of late.

Also confirmed for the EU version,

EU version? There were different versions?

I'm interested in giving the combat a go — especially with a controller — although the... salacious aesthetic is more than a little off-putting.

I didn't find the beta offputting so much as hilarious. I made a few characters; one of them defaulted to a silk dress with a high slit in the skirt, and when clambouring off the top of ladders did so in a ridiculously "watch me stretch" kinda way. Cracked me up at how blatant it was, though admittedly the whole look of the game would get tiresome after a few hours I'm sure.

EU version? There were different versions?

Yes, three to be exact. Korean version, then the US version which is handled by En Masse and EU version which is handled by Gameforge.

Gameforge have usually been slower to implement things, why it's a slight surprise they seem to be running to the same timetable as En Masse for this. What they do have in their favour is better pings, hopefully F2P will force them to step up their game.

There is currently a trial available with some of the usual restrictions, so I assume you could effectively start F2P now. One warning the game is a big download, around 25gig.

The whole Elin thing and character design of the females is really bad. It's a shame, because the actual world is stunning at times, and the combat is a real breath of fresh air for an MMO.

Solo-ing the BAMs with a crowd of people watching and applauding as you pirouette around joypad in hand, avoiding attacks in real time and chipping away at their HP is really great compared to the usual stolid toe to toe click and win stat-fests.

The whole Elin thing and character design of the females is really bad.

Ah yes, I forgot about the controversy (thought that was a different game). I assume the Euro/US versions had that toned down?

JPR's already answered this in the Steam thread Dave, but for the purpose of this thread: compared to traditional MMOs which rely primarily on targeting reticules, selecting mobs and hammering skill buttons like an RTS and such, TERA's more in line with games like Phantasy Star Online - In that the skills and attacks you use have hitboxes and animations have to actually connect with the enemy in order to gain a hit/critical. Likewise, evasion is done by using dodge rolls and fancy stuff that's taken for granted in action games.

Really looking forward to getting back into this - I played the trial all the way to completion, and the actual 360 controller integration is sound - Inventory navigation is always going to be iffy, but in terms of actual combat I was happily on point as a Lancer, parrying shit left right and centre before lunging in with charges and generally battering huge bastards in the face with my shield.

We'll have to arrange what server we'll be playing on, although if memory serves, it wasn't hard to convert a EU Region install into a US one and vice-versa. Which many people did, as Gameforge's implementation is apparently a bit gash.

The combat is amazing, the graphics are beautiful (if you like asian style), but everything else about it is mundane. Add to this content flow being slow, and anything coming down the road is convoluted as even the korean version has been critic'd with bugs that don't get fixed for months and months, the original dev seems...last I read, disinterested in investing in their own game.

Not a very good first impression, considering I registered for an account hours ago and I still haven't had a confirmation email. If they can't even get something like this right, it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Not a very good first impression, considering I registered for an account hours ago and I still haven't had a confirmation email. If they can't even get something like this right, it doesn't fill me with confidence.

Well it isn't free-to-play yet, not until Feb. I just tried signing up myself and got to the account screen straight away though.

Aye, I'd try doing it again, or ensure you haven't disabled anything on the page by using NoScript and the like - I've literally created a new account a few seconds ago, and I got the Verification E-Mail in under a minute. it's using the exact same e-mail address as my first trial as well, using the GMail dot trick. It's certainly not a case of Gameforge being picky about who they're letting in!

Aye, I'd try doing it again, or ensure you haven't disabled anything on the page by using NoScript and the like - I've literally created a new account a few seconds ago, and I got the Verification E-Mail in under a minute. it's using the exact same e-mail address as my first trial as well, using the GMail dot trick. It's certainly not a case of Gameforge being picky about who they're letting in!

Gameforge? Did you create an American account?

I registered fine, it's just not sending the account verification email (I've checked spam folders etc). I tried to register again, but it says my address is taken so it's definitely registered me.

Gameforge? Did you create an American account?

EU Account, Asura - Gameforge runs Europe, while En Masse handles American regions. No idea about Korea, mind.

I have been tempted to run a US account, though - I did read up that it's a case of grabbing the US installer, running it and then moving the EU data into the US install folder before you run TERA for the first time (which then starts the massive download. It has to redo the client data, but it's 500MB compared to the original 22GB download, thankfully.

EU Account, Asura - Gameforge runs Europe, while En Masse handles American regions. No idea about Korea, mind.

I have been tempted to run a US account, though - I did read up that it's a case of grabbing the US installer, running it and then moving the EU data into the US install folder before you run TERA for the first time (which then starts the massive download. It has to redo the client data, but it's 500MB compared to the original 22GB download, thankfully.

Ah, I've been using the En Masse site. Just registered on the EU site and I got an email right away. :)

Is this actually going free-to-play or just subscription free?

I think the latter, then the former - so first it's going to have a permanent "free trial" where you can do just about everything, but you might have to wait longer for certain things or ration certain resources, then gradually it'll get more F2P over time, but with the option of a sub that keeps it how it was. Pretty sure I read that somewhere.

Fully free to play, so no need to buy anything, but there are some benefits if you have bought a copy as you'll get veteran status.

Not sure if they will carry on selling it, wording seems to suggest they won't and it will be a case of when all copies out there are sold that's it.

You can sort of start free to play now, as accounts created for the trial version will be converted to free to play accounts. There are currently some restrictions such as chat etc.

You can sort of start free to play now, as accounts created for the trial version will be converted to free to play accounts. There are currently some restrictions such as chat etc.

Hang about... I created a new account, but I got no message about a trial. Where do you download the client?

EDIT: Found the client download, but still unsure of what to do. Should I just be able to log in?

Well I got to the bit at the start where you get your gear and it was telling me to take my gear even though it was already in my inventory.

I'm gonna have to wait a bit. My router's starting to die and I'm getting a lot of corrupt data through it, so it's breaking the download.