Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

New Bowie Album

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jan/08/david-bowie-new-album-single

David Bowie to release new album, with surprise single out now

New song Where Are We Now? goes on sale, with album The Next Day, his first for 10 years, due in March

David Bowie has celebrated his 66th birthday by releasing a new single, Where Are We Now?, ahead of his first new album in 10 years.

The track was put on sale in the iTunes store in 119 countries on Tuesday morning and a video preview posted on his website, which has been relaunched for the occasion. His 30th studio recording, The Next Day, would be released in March, said the Iso/Columbia record company.

The glam-rock singer shot to fame in the late 60s with Space Oddity but has been largely silent in recent years, not performing live since 2006 and rarely appearing in public since then. Bowie turned down the opportunity to appear at the 2012 Olympics opening ceremony despite a personal plea by director Danny Boyle.

"Throwing shadows and avoiding the industry treadmill is very David Bowie despite his extraordinary track record that includes album sales in excess of 130m, not to mention his massive contributions in the area of art, fashion, style, sexual exploration and social commentary," said a Columbia press release.

The record, produced by long-term collaborator Tony Visconti and written by Bowie, was recorded in New York, Columbia said. The single is accompanied by a video directed by Tony Oursler that harks back to Bowie's time in Berlin. He is seen looking in on footage of the auto repair shop beneath the apartment he lived in along with stark images of the city at the time.

A spokesman said: "Throwing shadows and avoiding the industry treadmill is very David Bowie despite his extraordinary track record that includes album sales in excess of 130m not to mention his massive contributions in the area of art, fashion, style, sexual exploration and social commentary.

He added that Bowie was the sort of artist who "writes and performs what he wants when he wants".

http://www.davidbowie.com/vision?videopremiere=true

• Upvote 2

elegaic is the word I believe you are after ;-)

It's not going to wow the casual music listener but to those of us brought up on a diet of Quicksand, Word on a Wing, Warszawa, It's Gonna Be Me and Thursday's Child, I'm very much enjoying it

But in 2013, how the hell does something like this not leak out? Impressive control..

• Upvote 1

That was lovely.

I love all of his stuff - the pop, the rock, the DnB, even the silly (like The Laughing Gnome). Man's a god.

It's lovely. Kinda hope the whole album is ol' Davey in Wild is the Wind/Word on a Wing mode.

I don't really ask much from him, mind. Not in the sense that I don't expect him to make good records, because he's still more than capable, but because he's done more than enough over the years. It'd be a bit unfair to get all stroppy if the record isn't the best thing ever.

• Upvote 1

quite so, vermin

I genuinely thought he was "done" but that if he did make an album it would be along these lines. Reality was last stab at "thrusty" music but I prefer my older artists to take a step back

New single sounds good. Certainly a million times better than the Hello Spaceboy dancy bollocks he was putting out last time his new releases appeared on my radar.

Outside is a fantastic album though that track is far from my favourite on it. Have you heard "strangers when we meet" or "through these architects eyes" ? Both quite dance free as far as I remember. Its just a very experimental sounding album and takes you all over the place. The new single sounds quite Heatheny. Would love it if there was an extended version as it just seems to be going somewhere with the drums and then it ends .

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Outside is a fantastic album though that track is far from my favourite on it. Have you heard "strangers when we meet" or "through these architects eyes" ? Both quite dance free as far as I remember. Its just a very experimental sounding album and takes you all over the place.

Ok, will give it a listen. :)

My memories of it at the time are prancing with the Pet Shop Boys on TOTP and some drum-n-bass lite at his live gig at Glastonbury. Time to give the whole album a go along with all the other stuff.

• Upvote 1

Really great video and a genuingly good song.

I don't think new Bowie albums will ever ignite the same passion as the golden years because we are all a bunch of cynical fucks these days. However, sounds good.

I love Outside too and most of the stuff in general since Tin Machine like Black Tie and Buddah of Suburbia. In fact the only week period in his discography really is 84-91 but that did cause many peoples opinions to change. That and he went through a period where he wouldn't play any old stuff and you had idiots walking out of his gigs etc. He seems to be a lot more accepting of it nowadays and realises he has a pretty stunning back catalogue to share.

I think Outside is fucking brilliant, it's like some China Mieville-esque sci-fi novel made into an album. Mind you I even didn't mind the Pet Shop Boys version of Hallo Spaceboy too much so hey. Preferred the original and the rather heavier version he did on Jools Holland though.

• Upvote 1