IGNORED

How do you store your huge film collections ?

mr_woo

I wasn't sure where to put this but I think a good discussion could be had here since a lot of us either have large collections or used to.

In the transition of moving from a house to an apartment a few years ago I had to really cut down on my collection or at least the space it took up, it was basically becoming really annoying having so much stuff. So I bought a big metal dvd storage case that holds 1000 dvds and have thrown out the amaray cases but kept the covers/inserts in storage. I use a spreadsheet on my PC to keep track/search for a particular film so as I know where it is in my case. Has anyone ever been brave enough to just throw out all packaging (even for special editions) ?

I'm nowhere near as hardcore as I used to be when it comes to watching/collecting films and having a huge collection on display has no real appeal to me anymore, I guess dealing with a lot less space has made me more appreciative of it. Of course I enjoy watching films and always will but I find myself going more digital with either downloads or watching on netflix/lovefilm and the cinema of course. Anyone gone completely digital yet ?

Obviously people have different ways of handling their collections so I was just wondering in general what the folk of rllmuk do :)

I'm completely digital unless there's no alternative to the features on a disc that I want, or when the time and effort required to rip outweighs simply having a small box on the shelf. For example, I still own the Lord of the Rings extended edition blu-ray set, because I can get neither the films themselves nor the special features anywhere else. Other than that I own 5 blu-rays and 4 DVDs that are actually in cases. Everything else is gutted for the discs, and those kept in a CD wallet. I'm extremely picky about the films I buy these days (I too was once a collector with several hundred titles, but I'm long done with that and got rid of almost all of them. I found I simply didn't need immediate access to hundreds of films, especially with the rise of good quality streaming and digital rentals / purchases).

I threw away the packaging for the Dark Knight Trilogy blu-ray set. Mostly, films become so cheap that I'm not even bothered about any kind of investment, or the idea of getting a couple of pounds back should I ever want to get rid of anything. My next purchase is Skyfall. If the blu-ray is equivalently priced to an iTunes download I'll go with the download. If it's significantly cheaper I'll get the disc, chuck the packaging immediately and plonk that disc next to the others in the wallet.

I use exactly the same system as you, Woo. I know I'd never bother going digital as it would take too much time and bore me senseless converting my collection so it is the best space saving option available to me. I thought I'd miss the convenience of having all my DVDs displayed and kept safe and sound in their cases but I find being able to scan down an alphabetised list far easier.

I use exactly the same system as you, Woo. I know I'd never bother going digital as it would take too much time and bore me senseless converting my collection so it is the best space saving option available to me. I thought I'd miss the convenience of having all my DVDs displayed and kept safe and sound in their cases but I find being able to scan down an alphabetised list far easier.

Yeah, I would loooooove to digitise everything eventually and maybe I will start doing bits here and there but as you say it's so bloody boring I haven't really had the motivation to do it yet. I had to be incredibly ruthless at the time with my collection and I still need to do a bit of pruning. Basically the entire collection is from when I used to buy anything and everything and I'm not really like that anymore. Some I did give away to friends or even sold off. I find myself caring less about fancy packaging these days as well, I used to love buying a lot of fancy packaged dvds back in the day but find myself just keeping the disk and getting rid of everything else as it's the films I care about more than anything.

I was like this up until about 6-7 years ago. Then I thought "fuck it" and stuck 90% in a rucksack and dumped them at CEX. Only kept the ones I know I will watch again and favourites. It's a lot quicker to torrent stuff than digitize imo.

It bugged me when I moved four years ago that I was basically moving a stack of DVDs from Home A to Home B so they could sit largely untouched somewhere else. I threw everything I had (which wasn't too much, but still enough to be a pain in the arse at the time) into a CD wallet other than a handful of things that were already in convenient box sets, and tossed any and all packaging.

I haven't bothered buying any since, either, as I've no desire to amass a collection of films that I'm only rarely going to watch, and as Sabreman states, there are enough options to watch most films that I might find myself bothered by. I only want to watch the film. The physical item is clutter. Additionally, I increasingly felt there was no point in buying things on a format that would, before too long, be obsolete. I stopped buying music for the same basic reasons.

Peversely, I have not applied this to games, of which I own many more. That's probably because my interests in either movies or music are fleeting at best.

Most of the house content is on a central server which feeds a couple of PCs dotted around the house running XBMC, there's a few oldschool xboxes doing the same. It's mostly digital but other stuff not deemed worthy of transfer is still in disc format.

I moved into a new house in October, ours are all stored across shelves of four Ikea bookcases. I wanted to go alphabetically by director but my girlfriend wanted alphabetically by title...she won, I'm still grumpy about it.

In the process of moving I set aside a bunch of dvds I've never watched or feel the need to see again and those have all gone to Music Magpie, not for a great deal of money but for more than if I'd thrown them in a skip. From now on, I'm only going to be a lot stricter about what I buy, no impulse purchases or buying something I've seen hundreds of times just because the disc is £3 or whatever. All the stuff we doubled up on like Seinfeld and Fraiser boxsets have been given away to friends.

Still stuck in the past with all my DVDs still in their boxes/packages and on my shelves. But then again I doubt my collection is anything like the ones you guys have (less than 250 DVDs I'd say) so it's not a problem storage wise yet.

Though even if I was to have a ridiculously large collection I think I'd still want to do it this way, I just like looking and seeing a shelf full of DVDs. Not very practical, I know.

Think it's also to do with my distrust of technology. I can't help but worry that if I go down the route of storing all my films on hard drives I'll somehow lose them all one day. It's why I still have boxes full of CDs even though they've all been burnt to computers/backup drives/ipods.

I'm in the process of doing this with my DVDs - I've started with the ones in standard DVD cases and am just summoning up the courage to to it with all the box sets as well.

Has anyone done the same for CDs? I guess there's even more of an argument for it, given that all my music is now on iTunes match and available on any of my devices.