IGNORED

Nintendo 3DS

spatular

I don't want to have to spend £20 on all my DS games though again. Like I wouldn't object to buying titles I don't have but why can't I put a cartridge in and have it authenticated against my account?

Because you could then give the cartridge to somebody else and they could do the same. And then they could give it to their friend etc.

It'd only work if every DS cartridge had a unique serial number but I don't think they do and even then you could still give the cartridge to somebody else after getting the digital version.

Because you could then give the cartridge to somebody else and they could do the same. And then they could give it to their friend etc.

It'd only work if every DS cartridge had a unique serial number but I don't think they do and even then you could still give the cartridge to somebody else after getting the digital version.

I was assuming every cartridge had a unique serial but even so, it's not going to cost them even if people did that - there are still loads who don't have any sort of access to this lending and right now they should be doing all they can to try and keep people invested in Nintendo machines.

I was assuming every cartridge had a unique serial but even so, it's not going to cost them even if people did that - there are still loads who don't have any sort of access to this lending and right now they should be doing all they can to try and keep people invested in Nintendo machines.

It's never going to happen and you'd be stupid to think it would it or complain about it not happening.

What Nintendo (and Sony and Microsoft) need to do is go back in time and build in the facility to do this and a way to then make the physical media self destruct so it can't be used again or sold on.

I for one can't believe how fucking useless Nintendo (and Sony and Microsoft) are for bit having a time machine to make this happen!

What we need is some form of digital rights management to allow this in the future, making sure you own only the right to the game to be used on any version of hardware but only one at a time to prevent piracy, I would think you would need some form of always in internet connection to check with the server you can play the game you own.

Maybe a call to Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft is in order - could make a Klimt getting the jump on this one guys!

Seems DS games might be making it to the eShop, eventually.

As a Club Nintendo award in Japan, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is being offered as a 3DS download.

Hmmm.

To be fair like Earthbound in Europe, Days of Ruin never got a release in Japan on the DS. As for using DS cart to validate 3DS game downloads,Sony tried that with PSP games on Vita and decided it was too much effort to release outside of Japan and I'm not sure if they are still doing it there either.

I'm perfectly aware that there's zero chance of Nintendo doing this, given how moronic the Wii -> Wii U implementation is.

I just think that for older titles, giving consumers the benefit of the doubt and the convenience is better than trying to get them to pay all over again. Especially since Nintendo need the goodwill more than anyone really. Encouraging people to get a 3DS makes it more likely they'll get a Wii U, look at how people on here have been sucked in.

It's precisely because they haven't had the system before that maybe they should just suck it up. Yeah some people might take advantage but honestly how many people are going to rip them off buying the DS Phoenix Wright games versus people who'd genuinely buy a new digital copy? Or the Castlevania games or stuff like Chrono Trigger - good games that might not have done huge numbers.

You're whining because Nintendo won't do it because they are shit with managing one generation to the next but not mentioning sony and Microsoft are exactly the same van tho they do accounts etc much better?

Microsoft will charge you for digital halo on 360 the same as Sony will for ridge racer on the ps3 but Nintendo should give they ip away for free??

I think it's shit whenever any company charges you to access things you've already paid for on another system but will happily roll out the 'you pay for the licence' shite when it suits them.

It's a crock of shit when you have something and are required to pay full price to access it again without any sort of improvements. So yeah, MS and Sony and everyone else are just as guilty. Only reason I'm whinging is because it's a 3DS thread and I've got a whole bunch of DS games I'd love to have on the SD card.

Instead, I have a DIFFERENT SOLUTION and my DS Lite.

Not to be a pain but what are the rules about discussing flash carts on here? I know it's against the Trading forum rules to try and buy/sell them in there.

Just wondering if we should avoid that sort of discussion in here, especially as this forum is visible without signing in.

If someone 'in the know' could confirm, that'd be lovely.

The only instance I've seen of a company giving free digital upgrades away is Amazon sending me free MP3s for an album I bought years ago. That's a trivial task to do yourself anyway. Otherwise I've upgraded loads of my stuff on other formats (VHS->DVD->BluRay, vinyl->CD etc.), often at quite a high retail price. Digital games are often relatively cheaper.

Rip Letterbox :( Damn Nintendo and their morals...

Yep they really are pathetic. Surely they could just somehow link it in with any 3DS's that have credit card details saved so that they know you are old enough to look at boobies. Letterbox was fantastic and everyone gets punished because of a few morons.

edit: doesn't this mean that there is actually no way to communicate with people on your friends list now?

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/UHQZFP2Jxcll_Vm-PsZpxNIK5920bRRK

Notice about service for Nintendo 3DS software Swapnote

2013-10-31

Thank you for your support.

Nintendo has learned that some consumers, including minors, have been exchanging their friend codes on Internet bulletin boards and then using Swapnote (known as Nintendo Letter Box in other regions) to exchange offensive material. Nintendo has been investigating ways of preventing this and determined it is best to stop the SpotPass feature of Swapnote because it allows direct exchange of photos and was actively misused.

Nintendo always wants to provide a positive experience for all consumers and limit the risk of any inappropriate activity or misuse of a service. We feel it is important on this occasion to take this action.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience to the many consumers who have been using this service responsibly; however this decision was made considering the point that many minors also use this feature of Swapnote. Thank you for your understanding.

Nintendo will continue to work to ensure more consumers are aware of our Parental Control features, which allow parents to manage their children’s experience on our systems. For more information, please click here.

• Service stop date: Thursday, Oct. 31, 2013, 7 p.m. PT
  • Service being stopped: Nintendo 3DS software Swapnote – Sending and receiving notes using SpotPass
  • Affected regions: All regions where the service was offered

Special Notes services are also stopped

Incredible :( They already have solid parental controls, why not delegate responsibility to the parents???

We may never know, but my guess is some kind of child protection laws (which are even more prohibitive in the US than they are here.)

This is the same company that completely shut down their official forums one day, out of the blue, and just replaced them with a notice saying "There are loads of fansites out there with forums - just go and use one of those". (Subtext - we can't be held legally responsible for anything that happens on a fansite.)