IGNORED

Nintendo 3DS

spatular

After 50 hours, I finally finished Dream Team Bros. Some of the bosses were brutal and, whilst it was always enjoyable, 50 hours was a little excessive.

Also the lack of a soft reset was annoying/baffling. In trying to get the "dodge 10 in a row" challenges in each area, I repeatedly savescummed but had to quit the game entirely and load it up again. It must have done my Daily Log no end of mischief.

I've got a really annoying and very strange problem with my 3DS XL, if I press the case 'space' between the buttons and the on button, it totally turns the whole console off and resets the date and time settings. I don't need to press particularly hard either.

Even more annoyingly, I bought it from CEX and threw the box away and everything so I'm probably totally fucked - anyone else heard of such a thing and any rogue chance I can do anything about it?

It's totally fine apart from that but it means that streetpass is almost impossible now as the machine can turn itself off in my pocket and I've got some aggravated Resetti action in AC:NL when I've inadvertantly done it while playing (and reset all my work for the day in the town).

Mine used to do that occasionally, mostly when mashing buttons playing street fighter, but it hasn't done it for a while (probably just because I don't mash buttons as much!). I think my 3DS still thinks it's 3DS launch day because I never bothered to set it up again.

I've been playing a wee bit of the virtual console version of Mega Man 1. It's pretty frustrating. A lot of very precise jumps which aren't helped by the wee robot guy's heavy, slippery handling. I can't imagine playing it for enjoyment without save states. Anyway, just beat the Yellow Devil fella from first Dr Wily stage. Ridiculously frustrating boss. Probably wouldn't have ever managed it without save states (though I've just found out about a pause mashing glitch that resets hitstun and kills him in one shot, but that would be double cheating on top of save states).

I'm gonna buy Mega Man 2 afterward anyway since that's the one I had as a kid and it's supposedly the best.

I've got a really annoying and very strange problem with my 3DS XL, if I press the case 'space' between the buttons and the on button, it totally turns the whole console off and resets the date and time settings. I don't need to press particularly hard either.

Even more annoyingly, I bought it from CEX and threw the box away and everything so I'm probably totally fucked - anyone else heard of such a thing and any rogue chance I can do anything about it?

It's totally fine apart from that but it means that streetpass is almost impossible now as the machine can turn itself off in my pocket and I've got some aggravated Resetti action in AC:NL when I've inadvertantly done it while playing (and reset all my work for the day in the town).

I used to have a mobile phone that would freeze up and the only way to get it working again was to give it a squeeze just above the D-pad. Which worked for a while until the screen cracked.

I kind of assumed there was something loose inside, like a dry solder joint or something, If there's a wonky/loose component in your 3DS then I'd imagine it'll get worse rather than better. Could be why someone traded it in, even.

You could try getting in touch with Nintendo UK and just asking them if they can help you. Even if you don't have a receipt, you're still a Nintendo customer after all. It's in their interest to keep you happy and in possession of a functioning system so that you'll keep buying software (like how Amazon gave me a new Kindle, no questions asked, when mine broke well outside its warranty).

After getting loads of streetpass hits at the meet on Saturday, I've been playing around with some of my other games that have streetpass functions. I'm a bit confused by Mario Kart, or at least I'd expect to see some kind of indication of which Miis I've beaten but apparently that's not there.

But I LOVE NSMB2's Coin Rush. I'd never really done more than give it a quick try when I finished the main game but now I've got a screenfull of Miis to challenge it's like a whole new game. I even broke one of my own rules and spent £6 on the the first 3-pack of extra levels. I can see myself getting them all before long.

I'm a bit confused by Mario Kart, or at least I'd expect to see some kind of indication of which Miis I've beaten but apparently that's not there.

Don't worry you're not alone! I think Nintendos intention was to confuse as many people as possible with that! :(

I've been playing a wee bit of the virtual console version of Mega Man 1. It's pretty frustrating. A lot of very precise jumps which aren't helped by the wee robot guy's heavy, slippery handling. I can't imagine playing it for enjoyment without save states. Anyway, just beat the Yellow Devil fella from first Dr Wily stage. Ridiculously frustrating boss. Probably wouldn't have ever managed it without save states (though I've just found out about a pause mashing glitch that resets hitstun and kills him in one shot, but that would be double cheating on top of save states).

I'm gonna buy Mega Man 2 afterward anyway since that's the one I had as a kid and it's supposedly the best.

Don't feel bad about using save states for old NES games, especially Mega Man; if using them breathes new life into the outdated mechanics then that's a good thing. Ice Man's stage, with those floating platforms which fire bullets from the sides, is pretty much impossible without save states. And everyone knows it's cool to abuse the pause mashing glitch.

Mega Man 2 on the other hand... I think I only saved after defeating all the robot masters, just before Wily's castle.

After much talking about it, I've finally bought a 3DS XL! The Blue Pokemon Limited Edition one for £180 at GAME. They told me its region locked, classic Nintendo of old, much like not including the AC adaptor.

GAME offered the official one for a tenner, I declined as I have it on order from Amazon for cheaper. Even the high street HMV had it £2 less than GAME.

The demo is wildly short. And in a forth wall breaking moment the judge even refers to it as a demo so I doubt it's really representative of a full case in the game proper. It is very lovely though so you're not going to mind playing through that short section again if it is much the same.

But I LOVE NSMB2's Coin Rush. I'd never really done more than give it a quick try when I finished the main game but now I've got a screenfull of Miis to challenge it's like a whole new game. I even broke one of my own rules and spent £6 on the the first 3-pack of extra levels. I can see myself getting them all before long.

I absolutely LOVED the Nerve Wrack DLC Pack. Really shows off some wonderfully tight level design. I played that single three level pack more than the full game. There's also that wonderful DLC pack where the levels are playful recreations of the original Super Mario Bros and Super Mario Bros 3 stages. It's nice. Lots and lots of fun secrets in those.

A very big shame they decided a 30,000 coin limit for Coin Rush though. Plus no leaderboards. Nintendo make so many games perfect for leaderboards and so frequently mess it up (Mario Kart 7 :( )

Don't feel bad about using save states for old NES games, especially Mega Man; if using them breathes new life into the outdated mechanics then that's a good thing. Ice Man's stage, with those floating platforms which fire bullets from the sides, is pretty much impossible without save states. And everyone knows it's cool to abuse the pause mashing glitch.

Mega Man 2 on the other hand... I think I only saved after defeating all the robot masters, just before Wily's castle.

Some of the vanishing platform sections are frustrating because of the poor handling of Mega Man more than anything. And while I can appreciate Nintendo's "Virtual Console" decision to keep the game intact, slowdown, sprite-flicker and all, Mega Man really suffers badly from it at times.

Don't save state. Makes your old skool manly skills into a wuss.

PLAY LIKE A MAN.

(I certainly beat the whole lot without save states a couple years back)

I don't think I would have enjoyed it at all without save states really. I know Mega Man 2 is supposed to be the easiest, so I'll play that one a little more honestly. I don't really think the first one holds up well today.

Does anyone know if the Phoenix Wright demo is a case from the full game? If so, do you have to complete it again when you download the full game? I want to play the demo, but not if it means I have to play through a case twice >_<

The whole demo is about fifteen minutes.

Just got a new Street Pass puzzle piece for Pokemon X and Y via SpotPass (In McDonalds at 7am. I am obese). Hit me right in the face with a marketing stick and now I'm annoyed I can't afford it.

On the wild StreetPass Battle game I'd whittled my army down to just over six million by deliberately losing battles then saving it with my rock and scissors armies at around 32,000 each so that anyone with a 70,000+ army could beat my 6million one, guaranteed if they were able to spy twice. No idea if anyone would even know to try battling a bigger army like that, though.

I want pokeymen.