IGNORED

Nintendo 3DS

spatular

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think smartphones have got anything to do with it. Are things that much different from the GBA and DS days?

Well you ve got all the major western devs who used to employ smaller studios to create gba, DS stuff pulling their support. Those small studios in turn move to smartphone dev or bigger consoles or break up and go indie. Indie devs will go smartphone.

The markets completely different now of course but there used to be significantly more western support in the gba and even DS days.

Guys I don't think Moz meant that it was literally impossible to play DKCR.

The main issue is that if you want to use face buttons like a sensible person you have to use the analogue thing, which isn't very nice. The acceleration and deceleration of Kong feels very off, moreso with the analogue nub. The attacks are odd, one hits the ground directly where you're standing, and sometimes hits enemies in front of you but most of the time either stuns them or doesn't do anything. Then if you're moving a bit when you press the same button you fly awkwardly across the ground, usually becoming vulnerable again right at the point where one of your pixels cohabits a space on the screen with an enemy pixel and you take a hit. You can't really judge at what point you become vulnerable again. But the fact both attacks are on the same button means you often trigger one when you mean to trigger the other, from a standstill you can't simply press right and attack to trigger the roll, you have to be moving a bit, but sometimes the game deems that you haven't picked up enough speed and triggers the ground bash thing instead. Or worse it decides you're not moving slowly enough and shoots your across the ground to an immediate trip down a big hole. Then there's the whole mechanic where you only have a double jump half the time. Mario games sometimes do this too, but for some reason it's immensely annoying here because Kong controls extremely sluggishly, with lots of delay, not much air control and excrutiatingly slow wind up/slow down times which weren't in the old Kong games. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious like a character toggle where you can play the whole game as Diddy and not be at a massive disadvantage half the time?

Basically I just want a cunting run button.

Just fired up the game, on an utterly terrible level called tidal terror, died three times in a row when it wasn't remotely my fault, twice when the controls fucked up because the frame rate dropped massively for some reason which introduced loads of control delay, and once when Kong inexplicably didn't grab a grabbable surface as I sailed right through it despite definitely pressing the right button at the right time. Great.

Oh man. Just had my first go on Streetpass Squad with 10 Miis and it was hilarious and glorious. I've been mostly doing it with 2/3 Miis so to have green balls and bombs and saw blades going in all directions was amazing.

Made it super easy but also super difficult to keep track of my ship. Just an amazing well put together game.

Just fired up the game, on an utterly terrible level called tidal terror, died three times in a row when it wasn't remotely my fault, twice when the controls fucked up because the frame rate dropped massively for some reason which introduced loads of control delay, and once when Kong inexplicably didn't grab a grabbable surface as I sailed right through it despite definitely pressing the right button at the right time. Great.

I love that level. Like I said earlier, the only times I thought it wasn't 100% my fault was on the boss battles, which I would cut immediately.

I agree with you about the controls though, the setup is crazy. I have no idea why you can't change the face buttons when using the d-pad.

Well you ve got all the major western devs who used to employ smaller studios to create gba, DS stuff pulling their support. Those small studios in turn move to smartphone dev or bigger consoles or break up and go indie. Indie devs will go smartphone.

The markets completely different now of course but there used to be significantly more western support in the gba and even DS days.

The only problem there is that eshop games can sell more and make more money. Gunman Clive being an example of this. The eshop is also far less vulnerable to the "Must be 69p to buy" mob. The real reason is that most big western publishers have this attitude of "Only nintendo games sell on nintendo systems". The money men think its a risk and so do bother. Pretty sad when you think about it.

Oh man. Just had my first go on Streetpass Squad with 10 Miis and it was hilarious and glorious. I've been mostly doing it with 2/3 Miis so to have green balls and bombs and saw blades going in all directions was amazing.

Made it super easy but also super difficult to keep track of my ship. Just an amazing well put together game.

It's really great, I've been so impressed by all of the streetpass games.

The garden one seems totally overwhelming to begin with, but I like it a lot now (despite not really being a game in any way).

It's 10 at a time for both!

You use 2 Play Coins per hire, spatular.

Oh yeah, I was thinking of the rock paper scissors game. I got confused because you can only hire 3 people who you've previously streetpassed in quest. My mistake!

It's 10 at a time for both!

You use 2 Play Coins per hire, spatular.

Thanks for the replies! But sorry I don't really understand, I've never played any of the streetpass games. Do the coins come from walking around with the 3ds? Then you use the coins to hire- is that like a life? So every time you want to play you have to walk round a bit?

Pretty much. If you don't get any StreetPasses, you can use 2 play coins (from walking) to generate a "go" in any of the games, be it a puzzle piece or a computer Mii to use in the game.

You can only get 10 play coins per day from walking and some games have limits on how many Miis you can have at once.

If we are indeed getting this. That DS Chibi-Robo game never made it to Europe after all. And the second DS one never even left Japan for that matter.

I know it's unlikely but we've had a better success rate with eShop titles being released over here than card based stuff. There's always hope!

Not sure if someone's already posted it but i've only just found out and proper fist pumped on hearing the news..........

Korg M01D is coming out on the E-Shop this summer! YEEEEEESSSSS!!! Best. News. Ever.

Hopefully, it'll do well and we'll get an updated Korg DS-10+ on there at some point too. :)