The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Visigoth

I bloody love heavy metal. You can sing along to it in the car, you can jump around to it, you can wear your y-fronts and pretend they are a leather loin cloth and lift aloft your sword!

All good power metal bands should sing about being a knight, carrying a sword and slaying monsters. When Hammerfall released an album about zombies my interest went through the floor and I still haven't listened to it. Each album should also have an obligatory 'metal-brothers' song, which serves the purpose to show there are other like-minded folks around, you just don't know any in real life.

Visigoth does this very, very well. I love this album, its been on constant play in my car since I got it.

"Falsehood crushed by our will

we cannot be killed

strength and honour immortal

anthems rise to the sky

brothers-in-arms unite

our voices unified

Raise your fist beside your brothers

stand eternally proud

we are the true and the brave

forever one with the sound

we are the iron brotherhood"

\M/

So, Coma Ecliptic has been out for near enough a week.

I'm going to put this out there... It's BTBAM's best album by a big margin.

Toning down the heaviness was exactly what they needed to do. It's fucking epic.

I kind of agree but in the sense that it's the best album they could have made at this point in their journey. The earlier albums are still amazing, the one before this being the best they had made.

Then they made this, still as heavy but with some very intelligent dynamic and instrumental/vocal choices. For example, the way they add the harmonics onto the end of the transitions between sections in 'turn on the darkness' before the melodic singing. Sends shivers down my spine.

I couldn't pick this ahead of The Parallax II for sentimental reasons as it is so different to what they have done before. TPII was the best articulation of their sound and you have to admire the direction they have taken here. So they are my joint favourite albums by BTBAM :D

Muse should listen to this and retire.

I kind of agree but in the sense that it's the best album they could have made at this point in their journey. The earlier albums are still amazing, the one before this being the best they had made.

Then they made this, still as heavy but with some very intelligent dynamic and instrumental/vocal choices. For example, the way they add the harmonics onto the end of the transitions between sections in 'turn on the darkness' before the melodic singing. Sends shivers down my spine.

I couldn't pick this ahead of The Parallax II for sentimental reasons as it is so different to what they have done before. TPII was the best articulation of their sound and you have to admire the direction they have taken here. So they are my joint favourite albums by BTBAM :D

Muse should listen to this and retire.

Surprised to hear so much love for TPII. It's a very good record, but personally I would put it behind Colors. At the time that album just blew me away. Everything after then (until Coma) has just been refining the formula but not necessarily improving it.

I love heavy BTBAM, but Coma is a mature record that captures then builds upon what I love about the band.

Bring me the Horizon (for all two of you who are interested) have a new album out this September. I for one am excite, mainly because Sempiternal was such a far cry from their previous work and actually worth the listen!

Here's a single of their new effort:

In more positive news...

The Drewsif Stalin album is really good.

If you like Devin Townsend through to Tesseract it will be right up your street. For a guy doing this in his bedroom it is incredibly impressive. He has a fantastic set of lungs and can play the guitar like a badass. What isn't to like?

Some stuff i've been listening to:

Ruinebell - "Imagine apocalyptic, heavy and dark, metallic crust in the vein of Amebix, Axegrinder mixed in a blender with some Voivod and Godflesh"

Amygdala - Progressive grindcore?

Fractal Universe - some proggy DM

Ni - Imagine Primus waking up partway through a nightmare

[/yotuube]

Author and Punisher - Godflesh worship

Midnight Odyssey - Might need to trim it (2 hours+) but holy shit its good

]

Gruesome - Death worship! Who cares, its awesome

I thought every thing about Gruesome was great, except for the vocals. Truly awful stuff.

Author and Punisher isn't my cup of tea.

Ni is my cup of tea (dat guitar wankery yo!)

Enjoyed Fractal Universe but I'll stick to Insomnium for now (there's so only so much of those types of vocals I can take). That groove of Tears of Misanthropy though! :omg:

Amygdala... Hm rather be listening to Iwresteldabearonce. Which is of equal levels of saying 'fuck you' to your ears.

Ruinebell just doesn't do anything for me. Again the vocals might be the issue here but I suppose the shitty YT quality is to blame as well.

Thanks for sharing LaParka!

I just preordered the new Iron Maiden album from Amazon. On vinyl. I like my LP copy of Final Frontier and the new one comes with free 320kb/s mp3s so I don't have to double dip. Given the quality uptick on Final Frontier i'm super hyped.

I've got a copy of The Crimson Idol coming tomorrow as well. Going to settle down tomorrow night with the turnytable and listen to some of my fave metal. \m/

How about I share something a bit nicer that doesn't have a penis in it?

How about something that is about as pop as metal can get? Album out August 1st, for fans of Arsafes, Destiny Potato etc etc. Serbian/Russian metal is great.