The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Yep, right in the middle of Saturday. Stage times aren't confirmed yet but I'd assume the billing on the BOA website is basically in order. They're on before Death To All, Opeth (who are billed surprisingly high considering they aren't a metal band any more) and Within Temptation (I'll be in the tent watching Fleshgod Apocalypse).

Crossposted from ATF. Slightly off-topic but as the gig has been discussed a bit in here, hopefully it's OK.

I'm going to see Devin Townsend Project tonight at the Royal Albert Hall and I'm looking to drive in from Gravesend as my girlfriend doesn't get on well with trains.

It's five years since I've last driven there (that time was to see Opeth) so I'm just wondering if there's anything I should know in advance?

I've looked up the details of a few different NCP car parks in the surrounding area - I seem to recall that there's a private underground car park really close to the venue (that's what we used last time) but I can't find it online.

I know I have to pay the congestion charge as well (last time was on a Bank Holiday Monday so it didn't apply).

Any recommendations for good places to park that I might not think of?

Start driving now as the doors are at 6.45 and you'll be in traffic for at least 5 hours ;)

The warm-up set-list looks interesting. First half is Dark Matters, second half a best-of set. I'm guessing similar stuff tonight.

If you need a Babymetal shaped void filling, then try Bandmaid. Bit more poppy, but catchy as heck.

JUST BREAKIN' NEW GATE!!

I'm not sold. They're trying a bit too hard to be a rock band and sound pretty 90s. If they were either 1. More ridiculous or 2. more 80s, they'd be a winner. Guitarist and drummer are pretty good though. 10/10 for effort. Would like to have seen the video descend into something a bit more metal with some blood, demons and explosions.

EDIT: Just been following some of the suggested links after tha video. Hysteric Lolita! Dragon Guardian! DOLL$BOXX!!

LOLZBOX.

The Devin show last night was pretty sweet.

I stand by not really liking Dark Matters that much. So the first half of the show wasn't as good as the second, but it was still pretty great.

Could have done with Anneke being there. But still, really good.

Fuck it, I may as well ask here.

So, I have two tickets for the DTP/Ziltoid gig on Monday April 10th. I'm in Tokyo for work, which was a dream come true, but at the price of missing a special Devin gig again (I missed the Retinal Circus gig due to a wedding).

They're stalls tickets in one corner (O I think) so right near the stage. It should be epic, so if any of you are free and interested, send me a PM. :)

You didn't miss anything, it was all a bit meh.

Obviously that's bullshit, it was brilliant. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray. Hope you're having a nice time in Japan!

The cross section of the fans is pretty hilarious.

The bar at times was a stressful experience, middle aged (at best) people with dyed black hair be acting like they had lobotomies when ordering a beer (there appeared to be a choice of two...).

Not as bad as the Karnivool show from a few weeks ago though. That was just weird.

Our view was OK really. The only people I could hardly see at all were the choir behind Dave Young, and that's obviously not that important. And in the second set, which didn't have much in the way of pre-prepared visuals, they projected the live view of the band on to the video screens instead, so that was good.

No one else took them in the end, so they went to waste. I was watching a video someone took of Supercrush! and I could see my empty seats in the video. :(

Glad to hear the gig was (mostly) great.

Meanwhile, Leprosy-era Death worship has been taken to a new level with Gruesome.

I picked up the new Enslaved album, In Times, today. It's really good. Possibly not quite as good as RIITIIR, which was an absolute masterpiece. Although I've only listened to it once so far. If you like what Enslaved have been doing over the past few albums then this is more of the same, and that's ace.

Also picked up that Synth Pop comiplation album they're hawking all over the telly at the moment...but, diggable as it is, that's probably not for this thread 8-)