The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Transient Curse

I've sort of stopped following metal, there's just too much of it that does fuck all for me. Can anyone recommend anything released 2012-3 along the same lines as Sleep/Harvey Milk/Melvins?

I've heard good things about Eagle Twin (on Southern Lord), though I've not bought the album yet:

Or how about Indian (on Relapse)? Warning: it's extremely tough going in places.

I've sort of stopped following metal, there's just too much of it that does fuck all for me. Can anyone recommend anything released 2012-3 along the same lines as Sleep/Harvey Milk/Melvins?

Sleep

Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction (sorry, I keep mentioning this album but it's incredible)

Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65

Orange Goblin - A Eulogy For The Damned

Amenra - Mass V

Melvins

Unsane - Wreck

Metz - Metz

High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay

I've never listened to any of their stuff bar a couple of tracks on Youtube but I'm going to see them in a couple of weeks!

Orange Goblin? They're fantastic. They don't deviate from the template much but they're brilliant at what they do. I need to buy my ticket yet, going on my own like a right saddo :P

Cult of Luna's new one? Sorry!

New Tomahawak album if you're a Mike Patton fan (is anyone not?)

Voices, ex-members of Akercocke, with the succinctly titled Voices From The Human Forest Create A Fugue Of Imaginary Rain

Vreid's latest opus, Welcome Farewell

Hymns by Godflesh reissued as two-disc set. The usual rarities/demos I think. Also, it's a fucking good album.

Erm, that's about it, maybe?

I'm not really a fan of Khanate but I love Sunn O))). I think you have to be in the mood for it. It's essentially just slowed down doom, there are textures, patterns and rythms there you just have to get in the zone to hear them. Have you listened to Monoliths & DImensions? That's their most accessible and best stuff IMO.

I suck at explaining why I like stuff!

I think it helps that I like noise, feedback and shit anyway!

Power Electronics, Noise, industrial etc done right can be some of the most unnerving and overbearing pieces of music you can listen to.

If the Sunn chaps were not originally in metal bands, I don't think they'd have so much cross over appeal.

To appreciate Sunn o))) I really think you need to see them live. Its there that the whole performance becomes almost a test of endurance and one of the most powerful sensory experiences i have ever had. Listening loud on headphones in the dark with no distractions can help get into that zone that they exist in, like the otehr poster said you become aware of textures, rhythms etc in the music, i feel like this with some noise too

OK, so sensory overload. Interesting. A mate of mine said once, 'The bass is so low and rumbling that it's like the sound of brown noise.' I didn't know if making the audience literally shit themselves was such bands' goal, but you know, horses and courses. I'll give Monoliths & Dimensions a go then - I'll happily listen to Mogwai, Isis, soundscape yadda yadda but sometimes I just think it needs a fucking beat/some fluency. Always happy to be enlightened innit! Thanks!

As an aside, my live review of The Sword's show this month is finally up. Hope I'm not being an egotistical twat by pimping myself. Erm, they don't pay me, or something.

http://ninehertz.co.uk/viewitem/4126 - my name is Stirling by the way.

I've heard good things about Eagle Twin (on Southern Lord), though I've not bought the album yet:

Or how about Indian (on Relapse)? Warning: it's extremely tough going in places.

Cheers, I have an earlier Eagle Twin album downloaded but never really gave it proper time to sink in, maybe I'll get the new one and give it a proper go. Wasn't too fussed on Indian though, that vocal style really annoys me.

Sleep

Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction (sorry, I keep mentioning this album but it's incredible)

Saint Vitus - Lillie: F-65

Orange Goblin - A Eulogy For The Damned

Amenra - Mass V

Melvins

Unsane - Wreck

Metz - Metz

High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis

Neurosis - Honor Found in Decay

This is my problem, most of these bands are almost as old or older than the Melvins themselves, are there no young bucks doing this stuff? I've never been a big High on Fire fan either which is weird as I adore Sleep. I've got the Saint Vitus one already but I'll be curious to see what Unsane are up to these days. Never heard of Metz or Amenra so I'll check those out along with Pallbearer. Cheers!

New Gama Bomb April 22!

Irish thrashers Gama Bomb have unveiled the title of their brand new album! The Terror Tapes is the follow-up to 2009′s Tales From The Grave In Space. and will drop on April 22 via AFM.

“I think this album’s really going to shock people,” says singer Philly Byrne. “We’re not afraid to write brash, outrageous songs that will make people stand up and shout. There are some straight-up classics on this album and we can’t wait for everyone to hear it.”

“It’s been a long road to bring The Terror Tapes to life,” he adds. “I had throat surgery, Domo had a tendon injury, we changed our lineup, we recorded without a label, did it all the hard way. We worked hard and got through and made a great album which we’re proud to be releasing with such great guys as AFM, who really believe in what we’re doing. We’ve spent long enough in the shadows; now we’re ready to re-emerge.”

Expect songs about zombies and videogames and suchlike.

Time to turn this shit around yo! VN1X here with another hip new selection of tracks straight out of 2013!

Now I dislike BMTH as much as the next guy but by god if this isn't one of the best songs of 2013 then I will eat a dick. Cool video too! (can you spot all the editing mistakes?)

"This is sempiternal!"

Vildhjarta preview a new track!

Some French KsE for ya.

Speaking of which KsE offered a preview of their upcoming album "Disarm the Descent".

And last but not least here's a new Kvelertak track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9aD3EpEcu5Q