The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Transient Curse

The Sword, Lonely Kamel and Holy Mountain were awesome! To anyone who's been to one of The Sword's shows lately: Did LK and HM support The Sword there as well?

The venue I was at boosted the volume waaaaay too loud though. At times I had a hard time discerning any subtleties or individual instruments from the wall of sound that was brutally being pumped into our tiny and fragile ear canals. The vocal mix for The Sword during the beginning of their set was too low as well so the first few songs felt like instrumental performances of their album counterparts. Still it was a very enjoyable show by all bands. A mate of mine scored 2 picks, a drumstick, 2 setlists and as he's into that kind of thing, I managed to trade a The Sword pick of mine for the price of the ticket with him. Score! :lol:

Also, this is more than likely not everyone's cup of tea on here but if you're into The Mars Volta, Icarus the Owl or Protest the Hero(ish) then you might enjoy this! I certainly did (though at first I was like "omglol wtf is this gay shit" but then the song progressed and kicked me in the balls with its excellent songwriting and superb vocals).

http://youtu.be/wOJeWuzX0ec

Some other stuff I've been enjoying lately (which Spainkiller and/or Twinbee might dig as well. Or was it Talvalin that kind of appreciated my taste every now and then? I forget.):

Not quite sure how I feel about this song but it defintely has wet my appetite for the album to see if it's worth a damn. It's another one of those Christian bands though. :hmm:

Speaking of Christian bands and their rants, I'm sure you all have heard about the For Today debacle? Well here's one band's response. A way too descriptive song about gay men gaying it up. It's honestly one of the most awkward songs I've heard in a while but you can't blame their sentiment. :lol:

(I hate punk though so ya)

Here's something for Spainkiller from UK's own Heart of a Coward.

And finally some post-rock from Germany which you can chill out to while doing... other stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HehzbftdEGM

The Sword, Lonely Kamel and Holy Mountain were awesome! To anyone who's been to one of The Sword's shows lately: Did LK and HM support The Sword there as well?

Nah, at the Camden Underworld, London show it was LK and Amulet.

The Sword's setlist from that show - I'm writing it up tomorrow.

The Veil of Isis

Freya

Hammer of Heaven

Tres Brujas

How Heavy This Axe

Cloak of Feathers

Arcane Montane

Dying Earth

Maiden, Mother & Crone

To Take the Black

Seven Sisters

Lawless Lands

Ebethron

Apocryphon

Encore

Barael's Blade

Iron Swan

Dude, have you listened to Fall of Troy? I wasn't too keen on what you posted – musically I liked it, but this style of vocals (and OMG the lyrics) puts me right off. Fall of Troy do similar, but also happen to be completely fucking deranged…

In other news, it seems that with Sonisphere not on the table anymore, Download is becoming quite a good festival again, rather than recent years' killer/filler ratio badly skewed. A casual glance at the line-up so far sees Mastodon, Converge, Vision of Disorder, The Sword, Alice In Chains, Down, Earthtone 9 and Amon Amarth!

Shame, as I definitely won't have the cash for it this year. Hey ho.

Yup I'll be going to Download myself. Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Rammstein, Bullet for my Valentine (shut it, they're great performers), Queens of the Stone Age, Thirty Seconds to Mars (I kinda like some of their tracks, hmpf), Korn, Enter Shikari, Mastodon, Stone Sour (Latest album is a bit meh), Parkway Drive(!), Jimmy Eat World (only know one song), Amon Amarth, Cancer Bats, Limp Bizkit (Old time sake), A Day to Remember, Airbourne, The Sword... yes pls.

Now it just needs Kvelertak, Protest the Hero, Northlane, Periphery, Gojira, Killswitch Engage and some more progcore and it'll be the best fest ever!

EDIT: Enjoying those tracks there Twinbee! Again at first I wasn't really feeling that first one, the production just sounded a bit off but I'm sure that's mostly due to the shitty Youtube quality but then everything was rectified by amazing prog notes and what not.Will definitely check out that album now.

Yup I'll be going to Download myself. Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Rammstein, Bullet for my Valentine (shut it, they're great performers), Queens of the Stone Age, Thirty Seconds to Mars (I kinda like some of their tracks, hmpf), Korn, Enter Shikari, Mastodon, Stone Sour (Latest album is a bit meh), Parkway Drive(!), Jimmy Eat World (only know one song), Amon Amarth, Cancer Bats, Limp Bizkit (Old time sake), A Day to Remember, Airbourne, The Sword... yes pls.

Now it just needs Kvelertak, Protest the Hero, Northlane, Periphery, Gojira, Killswitch Engage and some more progcore and it'll be the best fest ever!

Its like I've just warped back 10 year to my 17 year old self :mellow:

Heh yeah I realize these are the more 'mainstream' bands but by god are they great to see live. My perfect festival would look a bit more like this (you've asked for it):

• Parkway Drive
  • Volumes
  • Born of Osiris
  • Dyscarnate
  • Protest the Hero
  • Thy Art is Murder
  • Kvelertak
  • Northlane
  • Killswitch Engage
  • Gojira
  • Periphery
  • Trivium
  • Devin Townsend Project
  • The Human Abstract
  • Sylosis
  • Mastodon
  • Them Crooked Vultures
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Animals as Leaders
  • Corelia
  • And So I Watch You From Afar
  • Make Them Suffer
  • Hands
  • The Empire Shall Fall
  • The Famine
  • and any other band that partakes in guitar wankery.

Will be heading to Download again this year, but after the shitty weather the first few days the last time, I've went and booked a Travelodge for this year.

Great line up this year, will be hoping to see Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Rammstein, Queens of the Stone Age, Korn, Stone Sour, Cancer Bats, Limp Bizkit, Airbourne, The Sword. Five Finger Death Punch and Volbeat (who where great the last time I saw them live). I'll also try and catch some bands I don't know much about this year, something which I haven't really done in previous years.

Astra are touring in April :)

15th: Bristol, The Fleece.

16th: The Slade Rooms, Wolverhampton.

18th: Deaf Institute Manchester (:D)

19th: Borderline, London

Meant to reply to this – aren't they supporting dates to Anathema? Or are they headlining shows?

I really want to see them but I'm not travelling far for 3 songs :)

Pallbearer are supporting Royal Thunder at The Borderline, London in April. Good chance to see arguably last year's best doom release, Sorrow & Extinction. Doom with soul, if you can imagine (I mean the feeling, as opposed to Luther Vandross).

http://theborderline...er-plus-guests/

Also, here's a cracking review, and track from, Cult of Luna's new monster album, Vertikal.

http://www.thrashhit...-luna-vertikal/

Meant to reply to this – aren't they supporting dates to Anathema? Or are they headlining shows?

I really want to see them but I'm not travelling far for 3 songs smile.png

Hmm, you're right - just checked the Astra site - the source I got those dates from (metalgigs.co.uk) didn't mention it at all! Will still go to the Manchester show, I like Anathema :D

Well, Clutch on Tuesday were a bit fucking lovely, save for some muffled sound issues towards the start. They played 19 songs! NINETEEN!

Pure Rock Fury

50,000 Unstoppable Watts

Texan Book of the Dead

Walking in the Great Shining Path of Monster Trucks

The Yeti

Big News I

Big News II

Earth Rocker

Gravel Road

Crucial Velocity

Profits of Doom

The Mob Goes Wild

A Shogun Named Marcus

Spacegrass

The Wolfman Kindly Requests

Electric Worry

One Eye Dollar

The Elephant Riders

Animal Farm

Personal favourite:

Stream new Cult of Luna album now go here it is go go go:

https://soundcloud.c...f-luna-vertikal

Thanks for that. I've got four hours to turn in a piece on Ava Gardner so this should be the perfect soundtrack for it. :)

Track three is 19 minutes long? Cheeky! I fucking love me some Cult of Luna.

I'm putting this here just because it has one of the most brilliant outros ever, Serious business. DAT RIFF.