The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Wahwah*

I think blaze gets shat on a bit unfairly. The period he was in maiden was when they were writing awful songs (not blaze fault (worst songs ever though were with dickinson - chains of misery :( )) and he just couldn't sing the dickinson tracks.

Does anyone fancy doing a book club style thing but with albums? Someone recommends an album old or new and we all listen to it over two weeks and post back what we think of it? With Spotify and lesser extent YouTube there's no need to even sail the high seas to join in.

Any recommendations for a metal fan stuck in the 90s? I'm a big fan of Atheist, Carcass, Death, Edge of Sanity, partial to a bit of 80s metal, Mercyful Fate and Maiden and that sort of stuff. My girlfriend recommended Arcturus and Arkona which I thought were cool but I'm so out of touch with modern music it isn't even funny.

Everyone ok if I put up the first album?

Firstly, the reason for doing this is the amount of times i've read about a classic or essential album, and then just ignored it for something is just bizarre. Darkthrones Transilvanian Hunger is one. I've never listened to it. Wore out my copy of Blaze in the Northern Sky, never got round to TH. No idea way.

Exhorder is another band. I like Pantera, everyone likes Pantera. Pantera is being discussed and someone always has to mention 'yeah but Exhorder did it first'. So with that in mind i'm going to put forward@

Exhorder - Slaughter in the Vatican

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFvmCh54JVU

Spotify

1 - Death In Vain

2 - Homicide

3 - Desecrator

4 - Exhorder

5 - The Tragic Period

6- Legions of Death

7 - Anal Lust

8 - Slaughter in the Vatican

Released: October 23rd, 1990 on R/C Records

I had a listen. The first track is very Pantera. After that it kind of segues into a mixture of slayer and early death metal. It's pretty good, I would have probably gotten into it heavily if I had heard it in the right time. Nice and heavy.

Descend's new album "Wither" is proggy death metal for the Opeth and Edge of Sanity fans out there. The first song is pretty damn good but does go into full-on Opeth worship mode at around the 6 minute mark, so if you're been feeling sad since Ghost Reveries (although really it all went wrong around Watershed), the entire album is streaming over on the Terrorizer website.

http://www.terrorizer.com/news/streams/stream-descends-new-album-wither-full-exclusively-terrorizer/

In the meantime, I'm still working on my best albums of 2013 list. I keep on hearing about albums released last year that I completely missed and some of them have been truly outstanding.

Any recommendations for a metal fan stuck in the 90s? I'm a big fan of Atheist, Carcass, Death, Edge of Sanity, partial to a bit of 80s metal, Mercyful Fate and Maiden and that sort of stuff. My girlfriend recommended Arcturus and Arkona which I thought were cool but I'm so out of touch with modern music it isn't even funny.

Definitely Enforcer. They sound like a more metal Di'anno era Maiden.

Atheist

Augury - Concealed

Gory Blister - Earth-Sick

Atheist - Jupiter ;)

Carcass

Impaled - Mondo Medicale

Exhumed - Slaughtercult

Death

Martyr - Hopeless Hopes

Decrepit Birth - Polarity

Edge of Sanity

Dan Swano - Moontower

Witherscape - The Inheritance

Edge of Sanity - Crimson II ;)

Enslaved - Axioma Ethica Odini

Mercyful Fate

In Solitude - The World. The Flesh. The Devil

Hell - Curse and Chapter

Maiden

Satan - Life Sentence

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding

Blaze - Tenth Dimension

Pharaoh - Be Gone

Fracture - Dominate and Overload

I'm liking the new Alcest, and looking forward to seeing them live in a couple of weeks, but I think they're right in saying they aren't really a metal band anymore. Anyway the album is on YouTube ( http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLToXWne2Bk-eP5sut551U96yF9kLPVYWx&desktop_uri=%2Fplaylist%3Flist%3DPLToXWne2Bk-eP5sut551U96yF9kLPVYWx ) and Spotify.

Be sure to check out their support, Hexvessel. Caught them at last year's Desert Fest and they were fantastic. Really caught me off-guard. Pagan psychedelic neo-folk, that old chestnut.

Hell - Curse and Chapter

Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding

Blaze - Tenth Dimension

Pharaoh - Be Gone

These are excellent choices. :) Tenth Dimension is one of those rare excellent albums that ended up unfortunately largely forgotten. I might recommend Accident of Birth and The Longest Night before TCW and BG though. :)

This is both hilarious and really fucking good.

I was there, and was at the recording of the bonus DVD in the new album (I'm in the liner sleeve... twice! :D) It's brilliant. At first you go "whoa!" but then you just get really into it. I like Hell because they aren't too serious, in addition to having beasting music. :D Getting an actor to front the band was genius.

For the lols, here's Dave Bower on corrie, skip to 3:31:

:D