IGNORED

The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Wahwah*

I will miss the old days when they played places like Brixton and even Hammersmith. The live show is a visual spectacle but the band themselves aren’t particularly dynamic on stage, and I usually spend the whole show watching Danny Carey be spectacular on drums.

I think I saw them in Hammersmith on the 10,000 days tour. I couldn't make Danny out as it was dark and i think I had bad seats. I enjoyed the gig but it would have been much better had I have been able to watch him. 

2 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I like that, cheers! I felt an overwhelming sense of dread and fatigue listening to Portal yesterday. Never heard them before, but willing to put the effort in.

I would say check out Vexovoid it's slightly more accessible but still bananas. 

On 27/09/2021 at 15:36, moosegrinder said:

Actually it's not crunchy. It's like if you made a guitar the size of northumberland and used suspension bridge cables as strings, then fed it through a black hole.

Thanks to this lovely writing I did something fairly rare for me and listened to something new. And it was great.

Cheers for that.

More relevant here than the vinyl thread I think, but Nuclear Blast have a bunch of stuff either on sale now or available for pre-order which might be of interest to anyone who likes old Thrash:

• The first 4 Slayer albums on crazy coloured vinyl
  • "Blind" by Corrosion of Conformity which appears to have been rare and expensive up until this point.
  • "Shovel Headed Kill Machine" (Exodus) - Ditto

Usually it's a load of Helloween and not much else but they seem to have a lot more stuff all of a sudden. The 10 Euro shipping fee is steep but a casual glance at the same titles on eBay/Discogs throws up similar (or more expensive) prices and you get tracked relatively quick shipping for that.

I've made another record!

asherah_crucible_cover_3000x3000_16-09-2021.thumb.jpg.de2ee8be2d790b87be58c10ac72e4954.jpg

Four tracks of metal. (I think our singer Dan calls it something like "atmospheric post-black-metal" which is probably fine). 

It's on Spotify (below) and most other streaming services. 

CDs are in production. 

My favourite track is probably 3. Apart from the big unintentional silent gap at the end before track 4 :facepalm:

48 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

asherah_crucible_cover_3000x3000_16-09-2021.thumb.jpg.de2ee8be2d790b87be58c10ac72e4954.jpg

Four tracks of metal. (I think our singer Dan calls it something like "atmospheric post-black-metal" which is probably fine). 

CDs are in production. 

My favourite track is probably 3. Apart from the big unintentional silent gap at the end before track 4 :facepalm:

795187387_jakethedog.gif.7230cb0a6cb079beb3a2e4224194c45e.gif

You have my interest

20 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

CDs are in production. 

Disappointed that logo doesn't just say "Jonathan"

In all seriousness it’s a bit off for me to phrase it as “I” made a record. It’s not a solo project - in fact the band had existed for a few years before me and I was the last member to join.

I’m just the tyrant in charge of the recording. All the drums and bass on this record, the backing vocals and most of the keyboards are all me. And some additional guitar in certain places. And I did all the recording and production. And even the cover art.

It’s a double-edged sword because I feel proud of the record but also hyper-aware of the things that are wrong with it. 

10 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

It’s a double-edged sword because I feel proud of the record but also hyper-aware of the things that are wrong with it. 

That's understandable. However, you've made an album which most people have never done!

14 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

For any doom/death fans out there, the new Worm album is pretty good (at least from what I've heard so far). Listen for yourselves!

Just dropped by to post this. It's blowing up the metal internet a bit!

It's not really funeral doom, but it borrows some aesthetics. I think it's more death doom. There's a hint of the 90s peaceville sound in there, as well as modern influence.

A couple of beasts have been let loose and they've never sounded so good.

Beast in Black have gone in more of a synth metal direction and have somehow crammed a small cyberpunk film into their music video!

Battle Beast have stuck to their fist pumping, head banging, anthem driven metal but pumped the dramatic flourishes up to... eleven. ;) Noora absolutely owns this band now, her vocal performances have gone from strength to strength.

I've posted about them in here before but Erra are pretty much my favourite band (coming to Leeds in Feb too, can't wait). They released an album track Vanish Canvas as a single with a female vocalist doing a verse. 

didn't really add much to the song IMO. But I went to check out this person and oh my days she is amazing. Check her transition from cleans to screams here:

makes me think Erra could have done something more creative than having her simply replace one of Jesse's verses word for word. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm not sure what's supposed to be impressive about transitions from clean to harsh vocals. People go nuts about Jinjer too.

You're basically just singing one way and then singing another, there's no requirement for a gradual transition.

There's training yourself to do it. Harsh vocals are incredibly difficult without completely fucking your throat and vocal chords permanently. Look at Corey Taylor. He didn't train himself properly and fucked his screams. The singer from Jinger has great cleans and great harsh. It's impressive as shit, man.

This isn't "FUCK YOU CAN YOU DO IT?!" thing, it's a genuine question, but can you sing? Like actually sing? Warm ups and the lot? I can't at all. As I understand it doing clean and harsh takes 2 entirely different methods of singing, something to do with "false vocal folds". Devin Townsend's response to how does he have the range that he does is "sheer force of will" but what he's done is inadvertently found a way to sing that hasn't shagged his voice like the vocal coach told him he would when he was 19 when he was touring with Steve Vai.

I watch a lot of "Vocal coach reacts" videos and I think I need help :(