The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Wahwah*

On 28/08/2021 at 09:07, Ivanho said:

Anyone know why so much of The Metallica Blacklist album is unavailable in the UK?  BC9CF96A-C00D-4914-B27D-35F71C3A8838.thumb.png.dc28e3465335fc7abbb667155ab73f37.png04804151-C677-47EA-AF84-4314DBB268A1.thumb.png.691b9f95fa986f38bf7b6b174fc8f1a9.png

It's not out yet, they've released a few tracks over the last few weeks but it's officially out on the 10th of September with the remastered black album. 

Almost a year after I pre-ordered it, my anniversary edition of Anthrax's Among the Living came through today. It ships with a hardcover oversized comic illustrating each song as a story and they have put a LOT of work into it surprisingly rather than just some afterthought book with large format pictures and not much else. Would recommend as Z2 comics still have it for sale on their site.

Are Turnstile considered metal? I’m not sure, hardcore, power pop, and there are a LOT of influences in their music, but I think their new album Glow On demands to be heard, one of the albums of the year no question regardless of genre. 

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

Are Turnstile considered metal? I’m not sure, hardcore, power pop, and there are a LOT of influences in their music, but I think their new album Glow On demands to be heard, one of the albums of the year no question regardless of genre. 

Fantastic recommendation - never heard of them. Listening now and there's a lot of Suicidal Tendencies/New Wave/Deftones mashing going on. I love it. 

This video hits right too!

13 hours ago, Lovelyman said:

Shame it sucks 😓

It's a grower rather than an immediate banger. Some lovely callbacks to earlier albums with some of the melodies and Riffs (or blatant recycling if you're feeling less generous). Not sure about the 'doing stuff that nobody would expect Maiden to do' hype that Bruce was spouting though. 

Bandcamp Friday yesterday (and for another 2 hours or so), so I bought up a raft of things that have been lurking near the bottom of my wishlist since the beginning of the year.

• Horrendous - Sweet Blasphemies (first demo from the once OSDM and now progressive death metal band. If you like HM2 chainsaw-riffing Swedish death metal then you'll love this)
  • Jake Dryer - In the Shadows of Madness (instrumental neoclassical shred metal EP from the current Witherfall and former Iced Earth lead guitarist)
  • Ophidian I - Desolate (hyperspeed tech death metal, but with riffs and melodies your brain can actually latch on to, and so a lot more immediate than Archspire et al)
  • Throne - Pestilent Dawn (brutal blackened death metal in the vein of Hate Eternal and pre-wanky-prog-shit Behemoth, with face-melting riffs for days)
  • Two Minutes to Late Night - Covers Vol. 9 (more covers from Gwarsenio Hall and friends. I keep on buying these to support the musicians, even if I'm not always entirely convinced by the song choices)

On 03/09/2021 at 23:42, Kingpin said:

Fantastic recommendation - never heard of them. Listening now and there's a lot of Suicidal Tendencies/New Wave/Deftones mashing going on. I love it. 

This video hits right too!

This video really captures their live performance well, the amount of people stage diving and yet the singer is just there untouched doing his zen dance manoeuvres, awesome! You might want to fast forward a bit to get to the actual performance although I enjoyed the warm up bits too. 

On 03/09/2021 at 10:22, Lovelyman said:

Shame it sucks 😓

I’m quite liking it actually - only one song I really don’t like (The Time Machine). The classic E-D-C-G-A progressions and Celtic motifs typical of Nu Maiden, but quite a lot of departure from the standard stuff on this album, and I think they’ve finally realised Bruce has been reaching a bit for those higher registers the last three albums and let him sing a lower scale a bit more. And Adrian Smith is still the best soloist of the three amigos.

50 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

New Maiden was a fiver for MP3 last night on Amazon. Glad I slacked off with it.

EMP Direct were doing the physical CD with a flashy lenticular cash yesterday for £6.66, so I got that.

13 hours ago, Sureshot said:

Machine Head have finally put up the full revisiting of Burn My Eyes from their 2019 studio session - really does it justice, I think:

Sounds good - still remember the first time I heard this record, at ‘The Loft’, an alternative music night at Bojangles nightclub in Guildford, when it first came out. That 2019 thing must’ve been a 25th anniversary or something like that.

12 minutes ago, Jammy said:

EMP Direct were doing the physical CD with a flashy lenticular cash yesterday for £6.66, so I got that.

I don't really do physical any more. I was going to get the vinyl as, aside from this one, I'm only missing 2 studio albums in my collection but it didn't have autorip on Amazon and I'm fucked if I'm buying it twice.

25 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

I don't really do physical any more. I was going to get the vinyl as, aside from this one, I'm only missing 2 studio albums in my collection but it didn't have autorip on Amazon and I'm fucked if I'm buying it twice.

I’m the same with a few exceptions - I kept all my Tool stuff because at the time they were being difficult about going digital, and there’s a couple of bands I always buy physical media for. No idea why, as I just rip them and never play the disc again. Habit I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

New Carcass is great by the way.  Only listened all the rest through once so I'm still not sure about staying power, but it's certainly more distinctive than Surgical Steel which just seemed like Carcass doing their best Heartwork impression with a mix of absolute belters and filler. 

If nothing else just listen to those beautifully melodic solos by Bill Steer. Glorious.

https://carcass.bandcamp.com/album/torn-arteries

Ooo new carcass, I shall check it out.

Tremonti just dropped his usual heavy sometimes, melodic sometimes sauce.

I kinda like the power production. There’s one song I don’t like really at all and a couple which are sounding like they are trying to keep up with the times.

This one is probably going to be everyone’s favourite.