IGNORED

The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Transient Curse

Dave Ellefson is suing someone over the recent news story. 

If he's exonerated, will Megadeth take him back?  Would he go back? 

The whole thing seems pretty weird. Seems like his band think he's guilty enough to fire him.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/david-ellefson-to-sue-for-defamation-after-leaked-videos-prompted-his-dismissal-from-megadeth

Yeah, I saw that statement, but I assumed that was more about making sure that nobody thought they were friends and that Ellefson was definitely keeping his secrets to himself and that nobody in the band had any clue about anything that may or may not be revealed.  

It seems like an overreaction to him getting caught out doing some kind of zoom-sex with a consenting adult which is what Ellefson is claiming it was.  I don't see why that would destroy a lucrative working relationship, and would expect Mustaine to want to keep the status quo if possible. I assume Ellefson represents quite a big part of the draw for Megadeth fans, being part of the band people have affection for, no offence intended to the other two guys, I'm sure they're great players and do the songs justice, but Megadeth fans would definitely rather Marty Friedman up there and if he was into it, Kiko would be respectfully asked to leave. Now that the band will be even more of a Dave Mustaine solo project, I wonder if people will be as keen to see him play.  I suppose if it doesn't affect ticket sales, he'll be laughing, he'll hire another talented but anonymous (and cheap) player to play alongside him.

Maybe I've got it wrong and Dave Mustaine just can't stand the thought of part of his band jerking off on a webcam. 

You'd think as mental as Mustaine is that being friends for almost 40 years and all the money and music together would buy Ellefson some credit in the bank? So either it's something really bad or Dave is ruthless as many assume he is. 

I've no idea whose in the band these days, but if Chris Poland was back again that'd be cool. As @Wahwah*says having Marty up there would be awesome, (is he the guy behind Friedman amps?)

36 minutes ago, McFly said:

You'd think as mental as Mustaine is that being friends for almost 40 years and all the money and music together would buy Ellefson some credit in the bank? So either it's something really bad or Dave is ruthless as many assume he is. 

I've no idea whose in the band these days, but if Chris Poland was back again that'd be cool. As @Wahwah*says having Marty up there would be awesome, (is he the guy behind Friedman amps?)

I don't doubt for a second that Mustaine is utterly ruthless (Megadeth was always the Dave Mustaine band, even before they split up and then reformed), but I wonder if there was a lingering grudge over the fact that Ellefson took Mustaine to court over unpaid royalties (which was eventually settled out of court for an undisclosed sum). It's faintly amusing that Ellefson would always laud Mustaine as this great guitarist who single-handedly invented thrash, and got booted out of the band faster than you could say "Reputational risk alert".

There's also the fact that both Mustaine and Ellefson became born-again Christians (Ellefson is even a preacher of sorts), so maybe Mustaine considers Ellefson's actions to be adultery and so that's why the hammer came down?

Apart from Ellefson, current era Megadeth has Kiko Loureiro on lead guitar (former lead guitarist of the Brazilian symphonic metal band Angra) and Dirk Verbeuren on drums (Verbueren has played in far too many bands to list, but he was the drummer of Soilwork before joining Megadeth). Even if Loureiro were to quit or be fired, there's no way on earth that Marty Friedman would ever rejoin. He was asked years ago to join for the Big Four tour and turned it down because he has had his own successful solo career in Japan and viewed going back to Megadeth as a step in the wrong direction. Chris Poland also turned down an offer to join full-time after playing on The System has Failed so eh.

On 02/06/2021 at 15:18, shirubagan said:

This is a bit fucking good.

I like it a lot but it sounds like the years of gargling razorblades have caught up with Tomas Lindberg - he sounds quite strained compared to his heyday. Still works though.

On 10/05/2018 at 22:59, Robo_1 said:

Any fans of Leprous on these boards? They're definitely on the proggy end of the metal scale, but I've recently started listening to them and to my ear, they're one of the freshest sounding bands I've heard for many a year. Their operatic style of composition, coupled with the incredible vocal range of lead singer / keyboardist, Einar Solberg really distinguishes them. Part of their style is to use vocal tracks more as an instrument than as a simple backing vocal, it creates some genuinely different sounds and melodies, which they harness to incredible effect. If you like your metal with a progressive twist, then this is certainly worth a listen:

I've been listening to them the last couple of days. Spotify recommended as similar to Opeth but it's more like Devin Townsend mixed with Muse and, I dunno, the Mars Volta or something. Good stuff :D  

Anthrax have a massive set of videos charting their history on YouTube.

I count Sound of White Noise as one of my top records of all time. I'm a big fan. It's a brilliant insight. Scott Ian is such an amazingly interesting man. If you like them, it's a must watch series.