The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

On 01/11/2020 at 20:09, shirubagan said:

I listened to it on Friday and was pleasantly surprised. The last two or three tracks didn’t grab me at all, but I’ve only heard it the once. 

gotta say, i think the last track, with Amy Lee is one of the best tracks they've ever done, just for the sheer difference in sound! Its such a great juxtaposition between their vocals!

i really like this EP , as it has the heaviness of the earlier stuff, but with the fineness of knowing what they are doing!

On 30/10/2020 at 20:41, 5R7 said:

this is...pretty good!

I just came in to talk about this, I think it's not bad, certainly the first 3 tracks I like a lot, especially the Slayer style solo break on the first track. I saw the Needle Drop review and thought he nailed it, that it's sort of a tour through 90s music. When you look at it that way, the disparate sounds sort of make sense, though the songs often sound nothing alike, they do sound like they fit together. 

I really liked That's The Spirit, and really didn't like Amo, I'm hopeful that they'll continue being more rocky than that.

10 hours ago, Wahwah* said:

I just came in to talk about this, I think it's not bad, certainly the first 3 tracks I like a lot, especially the Slayer style solo break on the first track. I saw the Needle Drop review and thought he nailed it, that it's sort of a tour through 90s music. When you look at it that way, the disparate sounds sort of make sense, though the songs often sound nothing alike, they do sound like they fit together. 

I really liked That's The Spirit, and really didn't like Amo, I'm hopeful that they'll continue being more rocky than that.

never heard of that person,  just watched his review...he mentions comparison to linkin park alot...yet...seems utterly unaware how much of a fan of LP Oli is...

33 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

never heard of that person,  just watched his review...he mentions comparison to linkin park alot...yet...seems utterly unaware how much of a fan of LP Oli is...

He probably doesn't know, he reviews so much stuff that I reckon him knowing trivia is unlikely, he's a good reviewer of music though, which is the good bit. 

Fwiw, I had no idea about Bring Me the Horizon liking Linkin Park either!

On 28/10/2020 at 00:23, 5R7 said:

well...this is pretty damn good!...and really makes one question using spotify...

Yeah, that's a solid track and I followed up on "Sleep Society" and checked out their Patreon:

https://www.patreon.com/whileshesleeps

It's one of many fan to band actions I've seen quite a few groups try to use, although with 2,310 patrons, they're probably the most successful I've seen. Another band I follow, Jolly, get paid for every song they release. Right now, they get around 2k for each track and they only charge on release, so that must work out quite well for them and fans.

I think it's the inevitable future for any bands hoping to make any money from their craft. I'm hopeful that concerts will return next year, but the only real money smaller bands will make from selling their actual music will be through this kind of crowd funding stuff I think.

Might not go down well here with the fans of the heavier stuff but one of my guilty pleasures is Amaranthe. The keyboards can be a bit happy hardcore but it kinda works with the beautiful female lead, the male vocals and the screaming.

They always make catchy stuff with upbeat tempos but the latest album Manifest has knocked it out of the park. Always puts a smile on my face listening to it.

Here's a few from the album, the videos are a bit naff but most are I guess.

Viral is a cracking track, really catchy but it sacrifices nothing. Yeah, I get why some sneer at Amaranthe, but they keep knocking out great, melody driven pop metal albums and I'll apologise to nobody for lapping it up.  :lol:

13 hours ago, Pug said:

Might not go down well here with the fans of the heavier stuff but one of my guilty pleasures is Amaranthe. The keyboards can be a bit happy hardcore but it kinda works with the beautiful female lead, the male vocals and the screaming.

Although I've never been entirely convinced by the beauty and the beast vocal thing in metal (Cradle of Filth aside), I do love Anneke Van Giersbergen in both The Gathering and in the Devin Townsend Project.

On 23/11/2020 at 16:51, shirubagan said:

Hello sailor.

Fucking magnificent. I'm listening to the first album now on Spotify, I was in to 2000s era crust / d-beat at the time so hearing something that takes me back to then but has so many extra layers of complexity is incredible.

Been listening to Nightrage's first album (Sweet Vengeance) and man, it feels like something that could have slotted into In Flames' pre-Come Clarity backlog. They had Thomas Lindberg (from At The Gates) as their vocalist for their first 2 albums, but it's a shame they just don't stack up as well following his departure - their output after that is just OK.

Worth a listen if you haven't heard it before and are craving some good ol' melodeath:

It's nearly time for me to catch up on all the music I missed this year by compiling a year end lists from well known-ish websites compilation on Spotify, but I totally forgot to do last years so here it is

These albums turned up 3 or more times on said lists. Korn turned up 6 times, if you can believe it. Anyway, I'll do 2020s list in a couple of weeks when more lists are up.