Jump to content

The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2


Recommended Posts

On 10/09/2020 at 19:55, Lovelyman said:

Also, Pantera were really overrated.

 

Not liking the band is fine, but calling them overrated is just wrong.

 

The band's influence is undeniable (see the entire groove metal sub-genre for good or bad), they wrote some stone cold classics in their time ("Cowboys from Hell", "Mouth for War", "This Love", "Slaughtered" etc etc) and Dimebag was an incredibly talented and distinctive guitarist who influenced a shit tonne of modern guitarists including Vogg of Decapitated and Ola England of The Haunted. 

 

Honestly, I don't understand why it's still the done thing to shit on Pantera, almost 20 years after they split up. It's like people were put out by how popular they were in their heyday and never got over it or something. :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

 

Not liking the band is fine, but calling them overrated is just wrong.

 

The band's influence is undeniable (see the entire groove metal sub-genre for good or bad), they wrote some stone cold classics in their time ("Cowboys from Hell", "Mouth for War", "This Love", "Slaughtered" etc etc) and Dimebag was an incredibly talented and distinctive guitarist who influenced a shit tonne of modern guitarists including Vogg of Decapitated and Ola England of The Haunted. 

 

Honestly, I don't understand why it's still the done thing to shit on Pantera, almost 20 years after they split up. It's like people were put out by how popular they were in their heyday and never got over it or something. :( 

Respectfully disagree. 

 

I have no qualm calling Dimebag a great guitarist (in fact the whole band were probably up there in their genre at the time) and they have some fantastic songs. 

 

But they don't have an album that I find great front to back (I used to be into them, I had Cowboys, Vulgar, Far Beyond and Trendkill).

 

I acknowledge their influence but I am allowed my opinion. I think they got more exposure from their dumb tough guy image than their songs.

 

Maybe I used overrated slightly incorrectly. 

 

I won't tell you what I think of Ola and Decapitated's output. Ola is a great guitar nerd and I like his channel though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

Respectfully disagree. 

 

I have no qualm calling Dimebag a great guitarist (in fact the whole band were probably up there in their genre at the time) and they have some fantastic songs. 

 

But they don't have an album that I find great front to back (I used to be into them, I had Cowboys, Vulgar, Far Beyond and Trendkill).

 

I acknowledge their influence but I am allowed my opinion. I think they got more exposure from their dumb tough guy image than their songs.

 

Maybe I used overrated slightly incorrectly. 

 

I won't tell you what I think of Ola and Decapitated's output. Ola is a great guitar nerd and I like his channel though.

Those are fair points and you are entitled to your opinion. We're adults now and I can live with someone not liking bands that I like (I will hunt you down if you say anything bad about Nevermore though. Just saying).

 

Whilst I love Dimebag to bits and consider myself a fan of the band, I will also freely admit that the only albums that I can listen to from start to finish without my attention wavering are Far Beyond Driven and The Great Southern Trendkill, and even then with the proviso that the former has that awful "Good friends and a bottle of pills" track towards the end that makes me think why on earth the band decided to kneecap such a great album with turgid nonsense?

 

I'm not planning on dying on a hill defending Vogg/Decapitated nor Ola England, so feel free to express your opinion on them. I'm genuinely interested to hear what you think about them both. :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Pantera have got some stone cold classics. But don't really like the ones that most people like. 

 

I don't really care much for Vulgar Display or CFH and think they hit their stride once they started embracing being just abrasive and noisy.


One example: I think I thought this was nonsense when I first heard it, but now I think it's great. 



 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

I will also freely admit that the only albums that I can listen to from start to finish without my attention wavering are Far Beyond Driven and The Great Southern Trendkill, and even then with the proviso that the former has that awful "Good friends and a bottle of pills" track towards the end

 

Track 5!

 

Other than that factual inaccuracy :p , we finally agreed on something. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

I think Pantera have got some stone cold classics. But don't really like the ones that most people like. 

 

I don't really care much for Vulgar Display or CFH and think they hit their stride once they started embracing being just abrasive and noisy.


One example: I think I thought this was nonsense when I first heard it, but now I think it's great. 



 

I haven't heard this since the late 90s, and I think I agree with you back then and now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wahwah* said:

Track 5!

 

Other than that factual inaccuracy :p , we finally agreed on something. 

 

I had put the album on just after making that post and realised my error but didn't act on the impulse to edit my post. Now I've been outed for being the casual fan that I am. Curses! :facepalm:

 

This can't be the only time we've agreed on something metal related can it? :huh:

Hmm, maybe it is! Well, that's still something to celebrate right? :wub::hug:

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Talvalin said:

 

I had put the album on just after making that post and realised my error but didn't act on the impulse to edit my post. Now I've been outed for being the casual fan that I am. Curses! :facepalm:

 

This can't be the only time we've agreed on something metal related can it? :huh:

Hmm, maybe it is! Well, that's still something to celebrate right? :wub::hug:

 

Being able to be both pedantic and agree with you all in the same breath is wonderful thing, thank you for that gift. :hug:

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shirubagan said:

 

Track 1 ... What the... this isn't anything like The Sword

Track 2 ... Now I see it. I think this actually is a Sword riff.

Cheers for the heads up. Sounds cool. His voice is a bit thin for a band called WOLFTOOTH, mind.

I think all of these Sabbath-y bands have some sort of Ozzy effect on their microphones. The Sword and Fireball Ministry are vocally quite similar as well :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Took me a few years to get around to it but Formulae is fast becoming my favourite Master's Hammer album. It has this occult-industrial inflection that's a far cry from their first album, but anyone who could stomach the more avant-garde work like Šlágry will probably be able to get into it. Franta's vocals sound better than ever, too!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/09/2020 at 18:28, Flub said:

Love the chorus in this banger

 

 

I have never heard of these, and those vovals were not was i was expecting lol...im now on a youtube mission for more!

 

 

23 hours ago, Flub said:

 

 

erm...a thing ( :ph34r: ) happens at 3.08, that im sure has happened before, but its so noticeable, you have to wonder ...was hat on purpose!?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.