The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

On 19/05/2020 at 13:50, jimmbob said:

The thing about St Anger, is that while horribly produced, it is actually decent when paired with the documentary Some Kind of Monster. The story behind the album is better than the album as it were. Granted that doesn't make it any less unpleasant on the ears, but as a product of the band and where they were at that time it's a decent little time capsule. Same with Justice, and all the no bass stuff. 

*Edit* The documentary was called some kind of monster, not St Anger. I should know that considering the DVD is in the shelf in front of me!

St Anger would have been a pretty strong album if the drum sound was less abrasive, and they had someone a bit stronger in the editing suite to cut two minutes of flab out of most of the songs. As you say though, its ragged nature reflects the mental state of the band quite well at this point, especially in the context of Some Kind Of Monster.

I’m also in the ‘ripped the live DVD to mp3’ camp. It’s the only version I listen to.

9 minutes ago, Jammy said:

St Anger would have been a pretty strong album if the drum sound was less abrasive, and they had someone a bit stronger in the editing suite to cut two minutes of flab out of most of the songs. As you say though, its ragged nature reflects the mental state of the band quite well at this point, especially in the context of Some Kind Of Monster.

I’m also in the ‘ripped the live DVD to mp3’ camp. It’s the only version I listen to.

@jimmbob Mentioned justice, and that's still my favourite album. Sorry Jason! :P 

2 minutes ago, Jammy said:

Mine too !

High five! I've seen them live just twice, once at the ill-fated download I have already mentioned in other threads, but also a year earlier at Reading. At the time I thought I'd missed the boat on them playing anything from Justice other than One, so imagine my surprise and sheer fucking glee when, after playing Battery and Puppets, they bust out Harvester of Sorrow! And then they ended the main part of the set with Blackened. They put a really good show on that year. Christ, that was seventeen years ago. 

With my usual apologies to anyone who may see me cross-posting this to more than one thread, here's my latest Metallica video:

I'm the drummer, and I also mixed/edited/produced the audio, and made the video. So I take full responsibility for any bad video editing, but not for the quality of the actual footage :D

I know this isn't a current album, but I've been listening to All Hail by Norma Jean recently again. I think it's great! 

It's crazy how many lineup changes they've had but still sound exactly like they're supposed to. 

Now that I'm back into guitar playing, I'm getting back into Maiden, one of my faves is Sign of the Cross from Rock in Rio. Imagine my dismay when I discovered the original was sung by Blaze "can't sing a fucking note" Bayley. 

What fucking drugs were the rest of the band on when they hired that joker???