rllmuk
Wahwah*

The Rllmuk Metal Thread Part 2

Whatched Skindred last night in Aberdeen and they absolutely tore the place a new arsehole. Fourth time I have experienced them live and easily the best. Benji must be one of the most underrated frontmen ever. 

Anyone checked out that album by Greyhaven? It's really grown on me. Like a more accessible Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza. 

Architects’ new album is AOTY-levels of good. However, it’s Tommy Giles (BtBaM) new solo record I can’t stop listening to.

It’s not Metal, but it’s brilliant all the same. Blake Richardson provides drums for the album and it’s great to hear a different, reserved side to his playing. He does get to cut-loose with a brutal blastbeat that underpins the electro-centric song ‘I Win” which also features Candiria’s Carley Coma on vocals.

• Upvote 1

I've been alone at work for the past two weeks (my single staff member* broke his collar bone so he's been off sick) so I can listen to music - it helps to drown out the noise of three or four digital print engines chugging out endless print work. I started week one listening to a load of stuff from this thread going way back to page 1 :)

Week two, I listened to a lot of Down (Phil Anselmo). As much as I think Phil is a complete bell-end and as much as I didn't listen to Down when they first came out, I wish I had as Nola is a really great album. 

*Incidentally, my idiot digital printer Alex is the drummer in this band. He's an idiot as he fell off his electric skateboard.

http://soundsofthestreet.net/interviews/interview-arch-rivals/

They're Oi Punk but they're very good if you are into that genre. They've just recently released their second album.

Check 'em out on Spotify

Or Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgTJan9txQ54ci3GOHfty3Q

• Upvote 1

On 19/11/2018 at 18:25, DirkCrisis said:

I know the concept of Christmas swathers is somewhat over but ... Fucking Christmas.

Pretty cool, but a tad bit expensive I think. For me anyway :P

Dominic Sohor (I can't remember his username on here, sorry) made this for those silly Speedhorn fellas. While it commits the cardinal sin of being a pseudo woollen print on a normal jumper it made me laugh.

DshHWfdX4AA0Yk4.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 14/11/2018 at 18:38, Bleeders said:

Architects’ new album is AOTY-levels of good. However, it’s Tommy Giles (BtBaM) new solo record I can’t stop listening to.

It’s not Metal, but it’s brilliant all the same. Blake Richardson provides drums for the album and it’s great to hear a different, reserved side to his playing. He does get to cut-loose with a brutal blastbeat that underpins the electro-centric song ‘I Win” which also features Candiria’s Carley Coma on vocals.

Thankyou for bringing this into my world.

BTBaM Colours is my all time favourite metal album but I had no idea about this.

• Upvote 1

guys, guys ,gals! fancy something abit 80's rock inspired , i mean, its got a cowbell going init! give this a go! i forgot about this album until the other day! (i actually have it on Cd...somewhere...)

its an older album, but it checks out!

the highlight is probably "long time running", and then"heartbreak hooker" go on, give it a go!

Can anyone recommend me an introductory 20 albums or so to act as a starting point for Heavy Metal. I enjoyed Iron Maiden growing up and tried a bit of Disturbed a few years back - both great musically but with dire lead singers IMHO.

Apart from that my knowledge of heavy metal is pretty much Nil. It seems like a big gap to me nowadays. No thrash please. 

20 albums from a genre 50 years old, and with more sub-genres that anyone can name, and no thrash?

easy...

13 hours ago, sandman said:

Can anyone recommend me an introductory 20 albums or so to act as a starting point for Heavy Metal. I enjoyed Iron Maiden growing up and tried a bit of Disturbed a few years back - both great musically but with dire lead singers IMHO.

Apart from that my knowledge of heavy metal is pretty much Nil. It seems like a big gap to me nowadays. No thrash please. 

• Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell (heavy metal)
  • Candlemass - Nightfall (epic doom)
  • King Diamond - Abigail (uh, not sure)
  • Helloween - Keeper of the Seven Keys Part I (power metal)
  • Cacophony - Go Off! (power metal)
  • Vicious Rumors - Vicious Rumors (power metal)
  • Judas Priest - Painkiller (heavy metal)
  • Metallica - Metallica (because by this point, they weren't thrash any more so you should be okay with this)
  • Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction (again, not really thrash)
  • Testament - The Ritual (see above, although Testament did go back to proper thrash when they reformed)
  • Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror (doom)
  • Paradise Lost - Icon (goth metal)
  • Type O Negative - October Rust (goth metal)
  • Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes (power metal)
  • Ocean Machine (Devin Townsend) - Biomech (metal)
  • Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding (heavy metal)
  • Nevermore - Dead Heart in a Dead World
  • Tad Morose - Modus Vivendi (heavy metal)
  • Pharaoh - Be Gone (heavy/power metal)
  • Madder Mortem - Red in Tooth and Claw (goth metal, maybe)

This all skews very heavily towards the 80s and 90s, but I went mostly towards death metal from the late 90s onwards so I'm not so familiar with trad/heavy/power metal bands after that point. That said, if you're okay with death metal, then the list would be very different.

• Upvote 3

See that list? Mind would have been even more 70s and 80s.

So instead, can I recommend the Judgment Night soundtrack for something a little... different?

• Upvote 1

Wheee! Went to show last week for the first time in ages (see line-up below) and while it was nice attending a live gig again it did leave somewhat of a sour taste in my mouth. The sound itself left a lot to be desired and I'm not sure venue's audio setup was to blame or simply a shoddy job by the sound guy(s). In any case there were numerous instances of bass (or even mic?) feedback drowning out the instruments during quieter moments and overall the emphasis on bass and drums was far too high. So much so that sometimes I couldn't even tell what song was being played and that's coming from someone who's familiar with all of the bands on the tour except for Casey (great band btw!).

Thankfully, aside from the sound issues, the performances themselves were really strong. I loved Polar who brought some super aggressive and melancholic hardcore vibes and, as it turned out, were the perfect compliment to Currents who lean more towards the djenty metalcore end of the spectrum. Northlane were good as always but they didn't play Dispossession :angry: and Alazka's melodic/clean singer (the one who looks like he just came off a ASOS photoshoot, also X-Factor contestant apparently) managed to surprise me by showing off some incredible scream and grunt vocals.

As for the main act BAAO was kind of an odd one as Joel, their frontman, wasn't even on stage half the time and instead could be found infront of the barricade or in the crowd itself. I don't even believe he, or any of other band members, spoke to the crowd a single time during breaks and before we knew it they finished their set and that was it. No thanks, no nothing. Weird show. Still very glad I went though. First gig me and my girlfriend went to together! 

20180612_lineup_nsd.jpg

...And we'll be seeing Bury Tomorrow & Co in two weeks at the same venue! While I'm definitely excited (really hope Crystal Lake play Omega) I'm also hoping it'll be a better experience compared to the NSD show. Perhaps we'll pick a spot further back to see if that makes a difference. Curious to see what the significant other will make of 36CF's weird ass vocals as well. :D

DpKPMFVWsAYZbUm.jpg

• Upvote 1

Been listening to this at work as I'm doing my November financial figures so need some easy listening background noise.

• Upvote 1

That time of year where we list the favoured sounds of 2018. Tough ask this year, but the Time, The Valuator album was phenomenal for my money.

Those lads know how to scratch that itch of marrying big strings, piano, djenty tones and big vocals. It’s probably over-done in the djenty genre, but I’m a total sucker for that sort of stuff, especially when it’s done well.

01 - Time, The Valuator - How Fleeting, How Fragile

02 - Architects - Holy Hell

03 - Between the Buried & Me - Automata II

04 - Between the Buried & Me - Automata I

05 - Tesseract - Sonder

06 - Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant

07 - Thomas Giles - Don’t Touch the Outside

08 - The Browning - Geist

09 - I, Valiance - II

10 - I, Valiance - I

In other news, hadn’t realised Daughters released a new album back in October, which on first listen is so deeply, deeply unsettling. 

• Upvote 1

I'm still trying to scrape this together and though there's a huge amount of variance in the middle the top three are solid.

10. Amorphis - Queen of Time

9. Monolithe - Nebula Septem

8. Necrophobic - Mark of the Necrogram

7. Hamferd - Tamsins Likum

6. Craft - White Noise and Black Metal

5. Hate Eternal - Upon Desolate Sands

4. Warrel Dane - Shadow Work

3. Barren Earth - A Complex of Cages

2. Slugdge - Esoteric Malacology

1. Horizon Ablaze - The Weight of a Thousand Suns

Honorable mentions:

• Horrendous - Idol
  • Judas Priest - Firepower
  • Madder Mortem - Marrow
  • Dire Peril - The Extraterrestrial Compendium
  • Upvote 1

I don't think I've listened to anything new at all this year other than Pig Destroyer's Head Cage so I have a list of one album. I'm terrible at checking out new stuff other than dipping into this thread.