rllmuk
Wahwah*

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures

It also seems the Wii U outsold the Xbone worldwide this month. Titanfall will save the Bone! Nope. Price cut and lack of Kinect will save it! Nope. What next?

Worth remembering that the XB1 is set to release in September in 26 countries: Argentina, Belgium, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, India, Israel, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and the UAE.

One of the failings by Microsoft this generation to date is that Sony have had almost a year's head start on a significant portion of the European market, and in many other territories globally. If you are living in the Netherlands and wanted a current-gen console last November your only choices without importing would have been the PS4 and the Wii U. Very few people who want to buy a new-gen console and have the cash to do so are going to hold off for ten months for Microsoft to get around to delivering units to their game stores.

• Upvote 2

I just hope this new game centric view from MS means we see far more originality and diversity in games like we did with the original Xbox.

I've always thought that one of the things which was really lucky for MS with the original version was Sega dying. A big part of the reason I got one (along with ports of PC RPG's which had never made it to consoles before) was because they grabbed a lot of Sega franchises. A lot of my early Xbox memories are playing Outrun, or Panzer Dragoon, or Jet Set Radio, or Crazy Taxi. I wonder if they bought any of those franchises or if they were just short term deals. I remember there being a hint of Sega about it really making me happy, especially as it had a sprinkling of Dreamcast magic but so many other things of it's own.

Worth remembering that the XB1 is set to release in September in 26 countries: Argentina, Belgium, Chile, Colombia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Greece, Hungary, India, Israel, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Slovakia, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, and the UAE.

One of the failings by Microsoft this generation to date is that Sony have had almost a year's head start on a significant portion of the European market, and in many other territories globally. If you are living in the Netherlands and wanted a current-gen console last November your only choices without importing would have been the PS4 and the Wii U. Very few people who want to buy a new-gen console and have the cash to do so are going to hold off for ten months for Microsoft to get around to delivering units to their game stores.

Microsoft have given Sony a head start around most of the world and managed to mangle getting them sold in the US, which should be it's best territory.

Can we point out that Xbox live is far better as a service than PSN is in the crucial thing that it is really there for - online inc gaming!

Sony and the PS4 are very much emperors new clothes in all but the power of the machine, anything other than that MS do vastly better and i include online, range of games, ui and all things around using the machine as a games console.

The big failing and maybe the issue that will stop it from getting parity is the lack of grunt, it is more than a slight difference and that is a shame.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

Sony and the PS4 are very much emperors new clothes in all but the power of the machine, anything other than that MS do vastly better and i include online, range of games, ui and all things around using the machine as a games console.

Really? Neither one of them has any really amazing exclusives anymore, the market is all about multi platform games now. Sony have a bunch of indie stuff as their thing, Microsoft have some exclusive sequels. For me, I don't think either of them has shown a single exclusive thing which could sway me either way, which is part of the reason I don't own either of them this early on. Sony's weird games are more interesting than the steadily increasing box numbers Microsoft are betting on from my perspective, but I can see that the majority of customers probably wouldn't agree.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Really? Neither one of them has any really amazing exclusives anymore, the market is all about multi platform games now. Sony have a bunch of indie stuff as their thing, Microsoft have some exclusive sequels. For me, I don't think either of them has shown a single exclusive thing which could sway me either way, which is part of the reason I don't own either of them this early on. Sony's weird games are more interesting than the steadily increasing box numbers Microsoft are betting on from my perspective, but I can see that the majority of customers probably wouldn't agree.

Titanfall is the only game on either system that is anything close to a system seller but not doing so and of course you may not like FPS games. You than have Forza 5 and dead rising so we already have 3 games that are head and shoulders above anything exclusive on the PS4 - as you say there are slim pickings and sequel heavy but the Xbone has a much better line up of full price games, i am not as up on the indie stuff but PS4 isnt exactly flush with games there either - it has a much better indie line up coming but i would still argue that the xbone has a much better line up of exclusives now and the near future.

Where it is being hammered is on the multi platform games due to it just being less powerful - as a PS4 owner not part of the SDF who go around negging anything negative you say about the PS4 i would happily sell up and move to Xbone if it could get multiplat stuff looking as good as the PS4 but that obv isnt happening so i fear that will be the reason we will be stuck with a powerful but shite Sony experience :(

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Yeah, as with most things there's a lot of individual factors. Personally I'm completely uninterested in FPS games, though I gave Titanfall a try and it felt very ordinary to me, just like COD multiplayer. I feel the same about realistic driving games, whereas I've got a huge amount of time for sandbox games, meaning that Infamous is the only exclusive, full price game which has caught my eye at all so far, though it wasn't enough to sway me. I tried DR3 at a friends house and it was completely unplayable, lagging out to a point which I found genuinely impossible to handle. He said they patched it and fixed it, but he's sold the thing now so I never got a chance to see.

From my perspective, UI stuff is something Sony are much better at. Having not properly used the new machines, I'm comparing the current PS3 to the current 360 and the difference is night and day. One let's me do what I want easily and quickly, one endlessly fills my screen with fucking shit I don't want to waste my time looking at or scrolling past. Similarly, I rarely play games online (except for Street Fighter) and my experience of online play (in Street Fighter) on both was exactly the same. The 360 version finds a game slightly quicker, but there are a slightly larger number of twats on live. For messaging, buying games, downloading games and updates and all the other online stuff that isn't actual gaming, they're both utter shit. Again, they're shit in different areas, but they could have ten years to develop them and I'd bet they'd still both be worse than Steam is right now.

The big failing and maybe the issue that will stop it from getting parity is the lack of grunt, it is more than a slight difference and that is a shame.

I actually think the bigger failing was MS thinking they're untouchable. DRM, Kinect, always online. They introduced these anti-consumer ideas and when the people turned they quickly did a 180 and hoped everyone would forget. They didn't. If none of that happened the Xbox One would probably (maybe) be on level, if not better selling, than PS4.

• Upvote 1

Titanfall is the only game on either system that is anything close to a system seller

I wonder what everyone is buying all those PS4s for then, as clearly it's not Titanfall.

Titanfall is the only game on either system that is anything close to a system seller but not doing so

Amazing sentence. I stopped reading about here.

I wonder what everyone is buying all those PS4s for then, as clearly it's not Titanfall.

I wonder that to, for me it was 64p BF4 - there is nothing else i can see that would entice me to buy one.

Amazing sentence. I stopped reading about here.

I am sure both of you know what i meant, an exclusive (to this gen) that makes it worth while buying a console for - there really is nothing on the PS4 that is exclusive and in the same league as Titanfall but do carry on, Sony need you lot to keep ignoring how poor the PS4 is and ignoring that nothing that was said at E3 about the PS4 is working or even on the machine at present!

Anyway, i have to rebuild the database on my PS4 as it may make the share feature run for a day or two..

Some LTD physical-only software sales provided by the only person willing to break his NPD sub contract, add in some imaginary massive digital sales number for any game you're personally invested in if the number is too small for your liking:

Mario Kart 8 [WIU] 753K Retail Standalone, 885k TotalWatch Dogs [PS4] 793K [XB1] 500K [360] 326k [PS3] 255kWii Fit U [WIU] 48KTomb Raider DE [PS4] 179k [XB1] 99kDonkey Kong Country TF [WIU] 285kPvZ Garden Warfare [360] 295k [XB1] 163kTitanfall: [XB1] 1010k Retail Standalone [360] 614kInfamous SS: PS4 648kFF13: Lightening Returns [PS3] 139k [360] 74kTales of Symphonia Chronicles [PS3] 77kFFXHD [PS3] 276kSouth Park SoT [360] 289k [PS3] 236kDark Souls II [360] 227k [PS3] 218kTearaway [PSV] 67kTW101 [WIU] 83k

I bought mine because I'm like a fucking jackdaw for shiny shit.

Infamous got about 3 hours play on launch day and that's it. I would happily swap it for a bone and £orza 5.

How long until Nintendo have sold more copies of Mario Kart than they have Wii U's?

I know people who have bought 4 or 5 copies!

Do we even have a list of console sales that up to date and reliable?

Really? Neither one of them has any really amazing exclusives anymore

Bloodborne-630x354.jpg

I think TLoU will do big numbers as well. Sold 7 million on PS3, but many people seem willing to double dip for a superior version and lots of people still haven't played it of course.

I bought mine because I'm like a fucking jackdaw for shiny shit.

Infamous got about 3 hours play on launch day and that's it. I would happily swap it for a bone and £orza 5.

Whats stopping you. This is the sales thread if im not mistaken. Titanfall is no more a system seller than any other game and that's the point.

Whats stopping you. This is the sales thread if im not mistaken. Titanfall is no more a system seller than any other game and that's the point.

Indeed, we should all go buy a bone so this thread can get a little interesting...

I've seen the Xbone for sale in high street shops this year in both Dubai and Turkey, they must have been imports but were sold as standard consoles, same as the others. Surely that shouldn't be allowed?

The Middle East is a grey area because technically it's a PAL territory (although bizarrely last generation Nintendo switched the UAE from PAL to NTSC) but there's a big divide between formats. Traditionally Sony lead, loyalty to the Playstation brand is far bigger and the PS3 always outdid the 360 regardless. The Xbox One has been available freely since around January and not in grey import terms - you can pick them up, as Haribo said, on the high street.

It'd take a huge effort for Microsoft to wrench the market from Sony, so I don't think a lack of an official launch in the region has made that much of a difference.

The Middle East is a grey area because technically it's a PAL territory

When I lived there (ten years ago now) official consoles were thin on the ground, I think PS2 was technically the first to launch in the Middle East. Prior to that it was grey imports and nearly always NTSC. Piracy was the only way, realistically, you could play games. There was one department store in Bahrain that would sell 4 year old copies of Jumping Flash for the equivalent of £110.

When I lived there (ten years ago now) official consoles were thin on the ground, I think PS2 was technically the first to launch in the Middle East. Prior to that it was grey imports and nearly always NTSC. Piracy was the only way, realistically, you could play games. There was one department store in Bahrain that would sell 4 year old copies of Jumping Flash for the equivalent of £110.

Ha yeah, pretty much. You could still pick up brand new Asian Mega Drives and Famicoms. Last generation was the first time all the manufacturers had official presence and Microsoft put in a big effort to try and make headway. Despite all the problems Sony had worldwide, though, the PS3 just caned the 360 and still the selection of titles and shop space available is around twice as much for them.

Piracy has died down as a result though so there's plenty of money to be made. Just seems to all go Sony's way.

Nintendo aren't out of the picture but obviously they're playing a completely different game and the market in the region reflects that.

I last visited five years ago and was surprised how many more European and Japanese cars there were, Caprice Classic's and GMC Yukon's, once ubiquitous were something of a rarity. The perceived wisdom was this was, at least in part, due to the relatively recent rise of widespread anti-American sentiment. Perhaps Xbox struggled for similar reasons.

I bought all three consoles like a big daft cock and as a result I'm sick and tired of games at the moment. More so than I've ever been at any point in my life. The Wii U has its moments, of course, but the other two have ruined gaming as a hobby for me.

It depresses me that I bought them, it depresses me that I can't bring myself to sell them. I may very well have to see a shrink about it at some point.

• Upvote 6

MS have announced that in Q4 2014 they sold 1.1 million Xbox Consoles (combined 360 and XBO)

I didn't know how to interpret that so spent 20 minutes digging like a saddo for numbers and this is what I found:

Xbox One  FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD2013/14         -       3.9     1.2        ???        5.1      5.1
Xbox 360  FY          Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr    Ap-Jn      FY       LTD2005/06         -       1.5      1.7      1.8       5.0      5.02006/07        1.0      4.4      0.5      0.7       6.6      11.6    2007/08        1.8      4.3      1.3      1.3       8.7      20.3    2008/09        2.2      6.0      1.7      1.2       11.2     31.5     2009/10        2.1      5.2      1.5      1.5       10.3     41.82010/11        2.8      6.3      2.7      1.7       13.7     55.3 2011/12        2.3      8.2      1.4      1.1       13.0     68.32012/13        1.7      5.9      1.3      1.0       9.9      78.22013/14        1.2      3.5      0.8       ???      5.5      83.7

So basically those ???s together are equal to 1.1 million.

Those bold figures are the numbers of Xbox 360s they've sold over the same quarter every year.

So basically in the last quarter they sold less Xbox Ones than they've sold Xbox 360s in 7 out of the 8 previous FYs that the Xbox 360 was available in.

NPD figures from that quarter put the Xbox One at ~389k and Xbox 360 at ~190k. So that puts their worldwide figures for Q4 at <900k for Xbox One at best. In contrast, the PS4 sold 665k in the US.

That's quite amazing. Don Mattrick really did a number on the Xbox brand, when you think of the hit the 360 was. They're going all in on games, and they're doing an excellent job of evolving the OS, but I don't know how they turn this ship around from a sales perspective.

And yet LTD figures for year one (and I acknowledge that the 360 was supply constrained at the start of its life) are equal. It may yet turn around, especially if Sony keep dropping the ball they've had in their bag for the last twelve months....

• Downvote 3