rllmuk
Wahwah*

Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures

It’s amazing that such a challenging, uncompromising game has found such a big audience. What’s doubly amazing to me is that the audience appears to have really engaged with the game; for such a difficult game, a significant chunk of its players have completed the game. If you look at the trophy information, 10% of players have got the achievement for killing all the bosses, and 8% have got the platinum trophy. That’s much higher than I would expect. There are four ending trophies ranging from about 20% to about 14%, and some people will have gotten more than one ending.

I’m really surprised that at least one in five players have completed Sekiro. That’s three quarters of a million people! I would be surprised if one in five people see the average game through to the end, let alone one of the most difficult games ever; I guess it’s a testament to how well the game was targeted at a specific audience, and how elegant it is at teaching you how to play it.

• Upvote 4

Dark Souls III sold 3 million in two months, Sekiro nearly 4 million in just over three months which suggests Sekiro is selling at least as well if not better. For a tough game, even by Froms standards, that's pretty impressive.

1 hour ago, K said:

It’s amazing that such a challenging, uncompromising game has found such a big audience. What’s doubly amazing to me is that the audience appears to have really engaged with the game; for such a difficult game, a significant chunk of its players have completed the game. If you look at the trophy information, 10% of players have got the achievement for killing all the bosses, and 8% have got the platinum trophy. That’s much higher than I would expect. There are four ending trophies ranging from about 20% to about 14%, and some people will have gotten more than one ending.

I’m really surprised that at least one in five players have completed Sekiro. That’s three quarters of a million people! I would be surprised if one in five people see the average game through to the end, let alone one of the most difficult games ever; I guess it’s a testament to how well the game was targeted at a specific audience, and how elegant it is at teaching you how to play it.

It is incredible that more such a high percentage have killed all the bosses. I dedicated over 100 hours to it and barely even scratched the final boss before deciding I'd had enough and moved on. 

• Upvote 1

It’s doubly surprising it’s done so well, as Sekiro feels to me like a game that was done as a relatively small, low-budget, experimental project; it’s pretty much all snowy pagodas and caves, so there’s not much variety in terms of location or enemies; the between-boss bits frequently feel pretty perfunctory; a lot of the game’s systems like unseen aid and dragonrot seem underdeveloped or redundant; the stealth is pretty basic, and AI is moronic. This is pure speculation, but it seems to me that the majority of the time and effort was spent on the game’s combat system, and tuning the bosses, as the boss fights are magnificent but the rest of the game isn’t anywhere near as polished. It definitely doesn’t have the lavish, expansive feel of Bloodborne or Dark Souls.

• Empathy 1

33 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Their film division must be so jealous, although aside from spider verse they do make utter shit but still.

I really liked Baby Driver and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood as well. Their movie division was a disaster for a long time, but whatever you think of their quality, the Spidey films, Jumanji and Venom made them a ton of movie.

These are their biggest divisions.

Top of Biggest Profit Drivers for the Quarter :

Imaging & Sensing Solutions : ¥76.4bn / $0.707B

Game & Network Services : ¥65bn / $0.602B

Electronic Products & Solutions : ¥41.4bn / $0.383B

Pictures : ¥39.3bn / $0.364B

Financial Services : ¥38.8bn / $0.359B

Music : ¥37.5bn / $0.347B

1 minute ago, mansizerooster said:

Im amazed at the 360's numbers there. I was of the impression that for most of the last gen it was trouncing the PS3.

I think in the UK/USA it did, but not so much outside of that.

• Upvote 1

Top 5 of Best Selling Home Consoles of All Time :

PS2 : > 155 million

PS4 : 102.8 million

PS1 : 102.49 million

Wii : 101.63 million

PS3 : 87.4 million

Switch will no doubt enter this list, unless its sales collapse somehow, which isn't likely.

PS4 is a ridiculous story though, it's the most profitable console in history by a long shot. Last year, Sony's gaming division made as much money as Microsoft's and Nintendo's gaming division combined and its profits for just that year exceeded the profits of the entire PS2 era. Wonder if we'll ever see anything like it again.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Unless they fuck something up, PS5 will probably be the same story.

It could be, as lots of people are invested in the PS ecosystem and the thing will be backwards compatible. And Sony's first party studios are doing incredibly well. On the other hand, subs like Game Pass and Stadia could have an impact.

If previous generation and e3's are anything to go by, they will announce something truly idiotic like it costs a grand and it's a waggle only controller you control with your feet. 

• Upvote 3

The next gen consoles will be expensive though. That's pretty certain at this point due to them having to be more advanced than something like the xbox one X. 500 is pretty much a given I think. 8 core ryzens and high end AMD GPU's along side Nvme SSD's are quite expensive when added up.

31 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

The next gen consoles will be expensive though. That's pretty certain at this point due to them having to be more advanced than something like the xbox one X. 500 is pretty much a given I think. 8 core ryzens and high end AMD GPU's along side Nvme SSD's are quite expensive when added up.

They build with price in mind, and tech gets cheaper over time. Look at the gulf between the One X and original One. Both launched at around the same price. 

They’re both looking to push volume and you don’t do that at $600. You don’t do it at $399. 

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

They’re both looking to push volume and you don’t do that at $600. You don’t do it at $399. 

Well. Except the PS4 launched at $399

1 hour ago, PeteBrant said:

Well. Except the PS4 launched at $399

It launched at that, but most of the sales which happen over a consoles lifespan are under that price. Microsoft always said their goal with the 360 was to be able to hit a $199 price point as soon as possible because that’s the price that previously made the PS2 the best selling console of all time. 

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Switch (units)  |  This Quarter | FY Cumulative |      LTD      |  FY Forecast  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Switch          |      2.85M    |     4.98M    |     39.72M    |          |
| Switch Lite     |      1.95M    |     1.95M    |     1.95M    |          |
| Hardware Total  |      4.8M    |     6.93M    |     41.67M    |      18.0M    |
| Software Total  |     35.87M    |     58.49M    |    246.01M    |     125.0M    |
(Software sales units include both packaged and downloadable versions of software.)
###
|       3DS       |  This Quarter | FY Cumulative |      LTD      |  FY Forecast  |
| Hardware Total  |      0.17M    |      0.37M    |     75.28M    |       1.0M    |
| Software Total  |      1.12M    |     2.6M    |    379.6M    |      5.0M    |
(Software sales units include both packaged and downloadable versions of software.)
###
+------------------------------------------------------------------------+
|                                       |  This Quarter  | FY Cumulative |
| Smart devices, IP related income, etc.|    ¥9,959M    |   ¥19,964M    |
(Includes income from smart-device content and royalty income.)

+----------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Switch - Top Selling Titles (units)      | This Quarter|     LTD     |
| Mario Kart 8 Deluxe                      |    1.12M    |   19.01M    |
| Super Mario Odyssey                      |    0.44M    |   15.38M    |
| Super Smash Bros. Ultimate               |   0.98M    |   15.71M    |
| The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild  |     0.93M    |   14.54M    |
| Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee           |    0.3M    |    11.28M    |
| Splatoon 2                               |     0.26M    |    9.28M    |
| Super Mario Party                        |     0.6M    |     7.59M    |
| New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe             |    0.49M    |    4.59M    |
| Super Mario Maker 2                      |    1.51M    |    3.93M    |
| The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening    |    3.13M    |    3.13M    |

MK8 - a Wii U port pretty much - over 19m :o

32 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

Imagine how well MK9 if going to do if they release it on Switch.

It’s a strange one that as there is normally never more than one per console and with MK8 DX continuing to sell so well they might not bother. I mean it’s still the top selling Switch game over 2 years since release, and 5 years since its Wii U debut. 

It’s also the only port ever of a Mario Kart, so there’s really no precedence. 

On 30/10/2019 at 15:42, Vemsie said:

It could be, as lots of people are invested in the PS ecosystem and the thing will be backwards compatible. And Sony's first party studios are doing incredibly well. On the other hand, subs like Game Pass and Stadia could have an impact.

I think it’ll outsell the PS4 partly down to the market as a whole getting bigger.  You just need to not fuck it up and you should be ok.