rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
And

One a week

Had a walk around testing the new thing in some super grey sky. Lots to learn! Probably the best shot I got today was this one, which is a bit ordinary but it all sorta worked.

8351105498_6b3ecb1108_z.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg by milko9000, on Flickr

Actually I think it looks kinda flat so any tips on what I might do to it in Lightroom are welcome...

• Upvote 1

I'd like to join in if that's alright, I've rather stupidly bought a DSLR while waiting for my compact to be repaired ( :facepalm:) so need every excuse possible to take lots and lots of pictures!

8353153462_1f63cf262d_c.jpg

Sunday by pkpjpk, on Flickr

• Upvote 4

Actually I think it looks kinda flat so any tips on what I might do to it in Lightroom are welcome...

I'd be tempted to add a couple of graduated filters...something like -0.5 / 1 Exposure. 1 from the top to the top of the woman and the other from the bottom to the top stair...or maybe a vignette. Idea being the darkened areas will help draw your attention to the figure and the light at the end of the tunnel.

Flatness is from the light. You could try to up the contrast by one of the various methods available. Tone curve / contrast slider / blacks and whites sliders. I always tend to lower the hilites a little as well if needed.

• Upvote 1

OK - round two then:

8353796140_8102e58223_b.jpg

Had a walk around testing the new thing in some super grey sky. Lots to learn! Probably the best shot I got today was this one, which is a bit ordinary but it all sorta worked.

8351105498_6b3ecb1108_z.jpg

IMG_0067.jpg by milko9000, on Flickr

I might try upping the saturation a little on this. That should give it a bit more pop. Probably not the most subtle of solutions I find it useful in lots of cases.

• Upvote 2

8355274064_92ac6fc3c0_z.jpg

Untitled by paul_carmo, on Flickr

The house was standing on it's own at the end of a track, nearby to a reservoir. It had a bit of a mysterious vibe and I loved the symmetry.

This is straight out of the camera. Hopefully this thread will encourage me to do some digital messing in raw.

It's not great but I dare not miss week one!

• Upvote 1

I like the composition of this photo; how your eye gets drawn from left-to-right by the floats ending up with the little man in the distance.

Cheers - it came out OK eh?

I was thinking I should crop the bow of the boat on the right out.

What say you?

Looking at it, if you cropped it at the second orange float on the right, then the line of the other floats takes you right to the man. Might be worth trying it and seeing how it looks. I kind of like the boat though and almost wish there was a little more of it in shot.

Looking at it, if you cropped it at the second orange float on the right, then the line of the other floats takes you right to the man. Might be worth trying it and seeing how it looks. I kind of like the boat though and almost wish there was a little more of it in shot.

A bit more of the boat you say?

8356285725_308b4ab7ea_b.jpg

• Upvote 3

Yeah, I was hanging back til the weekend in case I got more shots! I don't have a lot to pick from yet. Although, I'm probably going for this one so maybe I just should.

...nope, just realised there's an irritating almost identical crop mistake in both my options despite being completely different photographs. Later!

How are you finding it? Have you a Flickr set?

It's quite tricky, even this early. I think part of the reason is my daily routine is fairly limited (in that I'm at home). So, I end up taking some shots of stuff around my flat or trying something creative. Last night, I was trying to do one of those long exposure/human movement pictures of myself, but couldn't get the settings right at all.

Having said that, I think there is something to be said for even the most mundane, boring shots (there is one of some mouthwash that my dentists recommended to me on my last visit). It will be an interesting record of the year for me anyway.

This is the Flickr link to the set.

Yeah. I remember pacing around the house searching for a subject. Which is why you end up with pictures of , for example,

Food

The toaster

Salt and pepper grinders

Trainers

Parsley

Toys

Stairs

And a whole mess of other stuff

At least you haven't got to the bell end yet!

bucket of katsu curry

?!

Funny enough I was driving to the tip today to dump a load of cardboard boxes. There was an great view of some cranes in the distance backlit by the sun.

Kind of wish I took my camera with me.