Hitman HD Trilogy - hardcore Hitman - you will find no absolution here

This is so bought:

tOhQv.jpg

Although it does mean giving money to the current team of nincompoops at IO :(

Wonder what they did with Contracts, I'd imagine they simply took the offending song out. Which is what they should have done ages ago to get the game released on Steam and GOG.

The listings, spotted by a NeoGAF user, show the packs containing Hitman Contracts, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin, and Hitman: Blood Money remastered in HD.

The core game will run you $39.99 while the Premium Edition contains an exclusive Art Book (first run version) containing 22 pieces of “never before seen reinterpretations of classic moments from Hitman Contracts, Hitman 2 Silent Assassin, and Hitman Blood Money all done by top artists.”

It will run you $39.99 as well.

Both are slated for release on January 29, 2013 for PS3 and Xbox 360, according to the online retailer.

I always forget that Blood Money never came out on PS3. it's already in HD on the 360 of course. And Silent Assassin and Contracts are also already HD on PC, but widescreen doesn't work properly on Contracts even with hacks/mods and neither game has controller support. Being able to play them in widescreen HD with proper controller support and with some bonus achievements to give me something extra aim for is more than enough reason for me to buy these three games for the umpteenth time.

It varies wildly from HD remake to HD remake. Some are utter train wrecks (see: Silent Hill HD Collection, an unbelievable mess) and others are fantastic (see: The ICO Collection and Halo Anniversary). Halo Anniversary is a major exception though with its fancy new graphical layer, for the Hitman HD Remakes you shouldn't expect more than the same games upscaled to either 720p or 1080p. Hopefully without breaking anything in the process (see the Prince of Persia HD remakes in which they basically removed all the lovely lighting effects present in the original). But know that you'll be seeing the the same 2002/2004 graphics, but at a higher resolution, which can be quite a shock.

Yeah, I'll be waiting until there are reports back on the quality of the conversion - for every great HD treatment of a property (Ico/Shadow of the Colossus, Jet Set Radio, Halo Anniversary, MGS HD) there's an equally awful one (Silent Hill HD, Zone of the Enders HD, Prince of Persia HD). Wait and see, I'd say.

I would like to see H2 in HD

Here ya go:

2012121200001.jpg

I took that just now. Click on pic for big. But keep in mind that this is on a modern-day PC at 1920x1200 with AA cranked all the way up to 16xQ CSAA. In short, there's no way in hell that the HD remake is going to look as smooth and sharp as this. BUT it should give you a good indication of what you realistically expect from a 2002 game at 1080p. They're not going to replace any textures I assume, so this is it. The gameplay however, is of course miles ahead of Absolution in terms of complexity, depth and ambition.

I just realised that the console HD remakes are missing one huge advantage of the PC versions which made the Blood Money replay thread so great - the ability to take screenshots and/or vids. It made the Blood Money thread all kinds of amazing instead of 'just another replay thread'. I really hope the next-gen consoles offer this functionality.

Anyway, anyone up for some Hitman replay sessions with similar tales of success or utter failure like in the Blood Money replay thread? Even without screenshots it could be fun! I'm planing on starting with Silent Assassin myself,then Contracts and then Blood Money :D

No idea, I'm waiting on confirmation of the EU release date myself. So far this collection hasn't even been officially announced yet AFAIK! Although we all knew it was coming due to the leaked trophy lists a long time ago, and now this Amazon listing with covers and screenshots and everything.

Never mind, it has been officially announced now! Like, a few hours ago. Square Enix press release:

SQUARE ENIX, INC. AND IO INTERACTIVE ANNOUNCE HITMAN HD: TRILOGY

Lethal Combo of Classic Hitman Games Available January 29, 2013 for $39.99

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASELOS ANGELES

(Dec. 13, 2012) – Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of SQUARE ENIX® interactive entertainment products in the Americas, and IO Interactive A/S, a Square Enix studio, today announced HITMAN HD: TRILOGY, a deadly combination of games including Hitman Contracts, Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Hitman Blood Money. Players will experience more than 40 intense missions across three classic Hitman games, all presented in glorious HD. HITMAN HD: TRILOGY will be released for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft for $39.99 in North America.The HITMAN HD: TRILOGY is scheduled for release in North America on January 29, 2013 and across Europe and PAL territories on February 1, 2013 for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, and Xbox 360. HITMAN: TRILOGY is rated M for Mature. Please visit the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) website at www.esrb.org for more information about ratings.

For more information and updates, please visit the official website at: www.hitman.com.

About the Hitman franchise:

The creation of IO Interactive™, the Hitman franchise got its start in 2000 with the release of Hitman: Codename 47 for PC. It has become an award-winning, multi-million selling videogame franchise. Agent 47, the games’ iconic central

character, is a genetically enhanced clone, engineered into a highly skilled assassin. The franchise has boasted videogames, a major motion picture, books, comics, merchandise collectibles and amassed a voracious global fan base. Agent 47 celebrates his long awaited comeback with HITMAN: ABSOLUTION, now available across North America, Europe and PAL territories for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC.

February 1st for us Europeans then. Only one version and one price is listed, which makes it sound like every version comes with the art book. More info as I find it!

Steer well clear of Hitman: Absolution then if you think the disguise system in Hitman 2 was frustrating :P

And yeah, there's no way in hell they're going to do things like rewrite the AI. You're expecting way too much from a HD remake. Even the ones that had an absurd amount of work put into them (Halo Anniversary with its all-new graphics) don't touch things like the AI. A HD remake is just that: the same game but in HD.

I would if I could, but my previous attempt at making Absolution disappear - if not from reality, at least from this forum - failed miserably when a snitch complained to the mods. Who subsequently split the thread in two. So I don't think we would get away with it :)

Steer well clear of Hitman: Absolution then if you think the disguise system in Hitman 2 was frustrating :P

It would be interesting to go back to H2 and figure out how the disguises are supposed to work. The big problem was that it was never communicated to the player why someone had seen through a disguise. Was there a timer for how long a guard could look at you before he busted you? Did 'blown' disguises carry over between stages in the same series of levels? Did running contribute to getting busted? Distance? I never really figured it out, and I think a bunch of levels ended up being a stealth 'em up as a result.

Blood Money fixed it by making the disguises iron-clad and having guards give you the "talk to the hand" motion before gunning you down. Absolution addresses the disguise system very clearly and consistently, even if you don't like the approach they've gone with.

A quick tip on Hitman 2 AI. There was some fuzzy logic in the AI that was removed after Hitman 2 that meant the AI would have a threshold to odd behaviour which included running, sneaking and getting up close to and facing guards in less than stellar disguises.

A quick tip on Hitman 2 AI. There was some fuzzy logic in the AI that was removed after Hitman 2 that meant the AI would have a threshold to odd behaviour which included running, sneaking and getting up close to and facing guards in less than stellar disguises.

Haha, that's hilarious considering people complain that people complain about the realism of Blood Moneys disguise system for stuff like "standing in front of people". Proof that simple, understandable gameplay systems trump verisimilitude every time.

See that actually sounds really good if they could have communicated that to the player! Crucially, there needs to be some stages of "do I know you?" followed by "hey, come here a sec" and then maybe they wander off to tell a guard. Only way down the line should anyone start trying to execute you.

One brilliant thing that they bizarrely ditched after H2 was the "suspicion rumble" in the controller. Best use of rumble ever.

I agree that new Hitman players, which includes those who only played the third-person action-stealth game Absolution, should start with Blood Money. It's not only the best, but also the clearest in communicating to the player what works and what doesn't - and what the game is all about. After that Contracts for a slightly more hardcore experience, but not as consistently brilliant in its level design as Blood Money (though there are a few utterly brilliant ones in Contracts) and save H2: Silent Assassin for last. Silent Assassin will be the most 'hardcore' Hitman experience because you have to be extremely careful at all times (although imho it's very much doable if you understand the Hitman concept. H2:SA is also the reason I still can't bring myself to ever run even in Blood Money) and like Contracts it also features some utterly brilliant must-see levels, even if overall it's not as consistently brilliant as Blood Money.

In short: interested new players should play Blood Money, then Contracts, then Silent Assassin in that order.