Space Hulk, is there anything like it about?

Vorgot

Here's the thing: I love Space Hulk (the board game), but I'm really disappointed that the new game is just an adaptation of said game, not an evolution of the brilliant 1st-person tactics computer games of the '90s that bore its name.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been lurking around the forum all day waiting for impressions! Regrettably, I'm waiting in the iOS version to launch as my laptop is borked. Will defiantly post my impressions on the iOS release. (iOS release is "soon"... Hmmm...)

Yup. I was a massive fan of the board game as a youngster and bought the 2009 edition at an inflated price then ended up selling it because I had no one to play it with, so this should fit the bill perfectly :)

The Steam forum for Space Hulk is hilarious. There are some genuine cretins in there.

What about automatically firing when moving, isnt that a bit of a balance issue?

Also, while the maps look great, I dont see why they couldnt make the other campaigns too, considering the tiles should clip together every bit as easily as in the boardgame.

It's valid in the boardgame as well, with the tradeoff being that if you stand and fire then your subsequent shots against the same stealer (if you miss) have more chance of hitting ("sustained fire bonus"). what the game doesn;t do is auto move-and-fire against doors, which is generally a good idea for marines.

The rules changes ive noticed so far are:

1: CPs – it all works as normal during the marine turn. In the stealer turn, to keep the flow going, the marine player doesn’t do anything, but any leftover CPs are automatically spent clearing jams (on the single action, straight to Overwatch basis of 3rd edition). This is pretty much how I play anyway.

2: Marine turn Jam Clearing – in 3rd edition, this happens for free at the start of marine turns, in the game it’s a 1-point action like 1st and 2nd edition.

3: Flamers – pretty much the Teardown implementation, an fixed area that can be placed anywhere (though I think it's a cone instead of a 3x3 area).

Stealer AI so far not that smart – it doesn’t seem to do much more than try and kill marines (instead of acting tactically in relation to mission objectives). Mission 1 - Suicide Mission can be very tough against a stealer player who knows what they’re doing, and pretty easy against one who doesn’t.

Ah right, good to know.

I was about ten the last time I looked at the board game (dunno which ed that'd be), so was mostly working from memory of the teardown version.

I'm pretty sure the spherical flamer template they used in teardown was correct.

The thing that bothers me about the automation is that, if for example you have one cp left but multiple jams occur, I presume the game would just auto-clear whichever one occurs first. Now, it may well be that the first guy still has a fair bit of breathing room but the rest of the squad are in more tenuous positions, in which case I may well want to ignore the first jam and save that point for more urgent contingencies.

Oh dear

Crucially, the Space Hulk board game feels like a distillation of the very best turn-based strategy mechanics. Just the good stuff. All killer, no filler. So why is this PC game so bad? I mean – how can that even happen?

And that really sums this scrappy, boring adaptation up. A lack of care. It’s about as bad as it could possibly be. I’ve played through half of the campaign missions, missions that are close to my heart, and I’ve hated every one of them. I stopped at exactly halfway, because the game told me I’d lost a mission I’d just won. And that was the final straw. What an achievement that is, to turn magic into soup. To turn a thing of such celebrated greatness into a thing of such grated celeryness. It sickens me to think that some people will play this game and think that this is what Space Hulk is – a leaden, dated bore. That’s not a Space Hulk I recognise.

Sure, you might still want to buy this expensive disaster purely because it’s Space Hulk.

But this is not Space Hulk.

I will not accept it. I just won’t.

Yeah - a lot of those criticisms are valid, but I don't entirely agree with the conclusion I think on balance it's a bit disappointing, but not a disaster.

There are quite a few bugs, and the gameplay speed, the more I play it, does grate a little. maybe a "play speed" slider would help, just to speed up the animations a bit. the main issure I have with the speed is the diagonal moves - which consist of the marine turning 45 degrees, move, then turn 45 degrees - that's really slow and sorting that out would help a lot.

I don't agree with the "overwatch isn't tense" criticism - having a marine continually fail to hit the target is plenty tense enough as the genestealer bears down on him.

But yes, It's not as good as it probably should have been. and i bet fullcontrol are regretting RPS being the only place they're doing any advertising.

I always thought it was a missed opportunity, making a straight conversion, but I was still interested in picking up the game when it hit low prices. If they haven't even been able to get what was a, frankly, piss-easy job done properly, I'm not going to bother with it at all.

Blood Bowl was rightly taken apart for its glitchy beginnings, but made up for it by making a reasonably complex, slow game accessible and fast (and adding some meaty single-player campaign options). This appears to have gone the other way, so I think I'll just stick with the board game for now.

(and seriously, screwing up the blips in local multiplayer? What the fuck, man)

I quite like it, it feels like Space Hulk to me. Granted, it's very slow and clunky and they do desperately need to give you the option to turn animations off, but it's not too wide of the mark. I've only played an hour or so but first impressions are reasonable. It'll be a good Sunday afternoon game. I think it's a trifle over priced for what it is though, given that it's not too disimilar in feel and production value to Warhammer Quest on iOS which cost a fraction of the price of this. Around £15 would have been more like it - it does feel like a budget title, although the quality is decent.

That... is some scathing shit, right there. And I don't agree with most of it.

"All the immediacy of the board game is gone in an instant" - what? This is the same board game that takes 20 minutes to set up out of the box, and includes an optional sand-timer so players don't take forever deliberating over their turn. I'm astounded that such a proponent of board games could be so unwilling to allow the video game adaptation a bit of leeway in the name of creating a bit of atmosphere.

Complaining about how awful random people are to play against online... well, not even going to touch that one. And the presence of a few bugs is a shame, but for fuck's sake, what a position we'd be in if nobody ever bought a PC game on day one for fear of it being a little bit fuzzy round the edges. They're releasing the first of what will surely be many patches today, for god's sake. But yeah, plowing through six hours of a 1.0.0 build to meet a deadline seems a far more sensible way of judging the game's merits.

"Okay – give me a moment here. Space Hulk is a board game. You know what I mean? It is a board game. It’s a game that demands your opponent is right there with you, shaking dice."... "the option to simplify all that fancy, fussy video game crap"

Two sentences that stood out for me the most. The agenda of a guy who felt like giving a video game a kicking because of some board game-superiority nonsense. Wonder how it feels to lay into the work of a fledgling studio who, from everything that they've said in public, actually give a damn about the license they've been fortunate enough to work with. Fuck me.

No, actually, fuck Rab.

That sounds particular petulant. Especially that last sentence.

I've not played it yet but yeah, I think lewismistreated is right, cramming 6 hours of play in late at night to ensure you get your review out and then bitching about some bugs and whatnot is a bit of a shame.

I liked the PC original and that was slow and quite shit if you're being picky. You could make a very cool almost XCom style Space Hulk TPS that went into more detail and bigger Hulks or even grand space stations but then people would say it isn't like the board game either. A bit damned if you do, damned if you don't it seems.

Shame that such a hissy fit review is on RPS as well, that could easily be a death knell for such a game.

It doesn't end at the review either.. one of the later comments reads:

Rab says:

I think it’s the worst adaptation of Space Hulk I’ve played. The old EA one was better. The little indie one that got the cease and desist was better. It is – in my opinion anyway – as bad as a modern implementation of the game could possibly be. It doesn’t even WORK. And sure, this is PC-land, and that stuff can be patched out. But that stuff shouldn’t happen, not in an adaptation as simple as this.

Sorry but no way is this THAT bad... As a fan of the boardgame myself I'm already having plenty of fun with this. Yes given the current content its not really worth the asking price, but hopefully with a few tweaks and more missions further down the line it has plenty of potential.

Its just a really weird review, hes obviously got it in for the game, but also appears to critcise it on one hand for being too faithful to the boardgame, and then on the other for not being a true enough representation of the source material.

Shame that such a hissy fit review is on RPS as well, that could easily be a death knell for such a game.

Yeah there are quite a few comments later on from people trying to defend it, but unfortunately they soon get drowned out by people who haven't actually played it.