Space Hulk, is there anything like it about?

Vorgot

I had this game on the 3DO and bloody loved it. Great atmosphere, team members screaming off camera, it gave off the same vibe as Aliens on the Spectrum (ah, happy days).

Getting to a new level and sending your guys out to cover corridors and move forward was amazingly tense for a game that didn't rely on graphics for it's grip, it was all about the sound and the basic UI.

My question is though, is there any other game like this about at the moment? On any platform?

Yeah, I was thinking x-com might be the thing. I love the 4x genre as well, so maybe I should give that a whirl

I'd go for the original PC XCOM over the recent reimagining. It does a lot of things right (and about as many wrong) but its strength lies in being a straight-up squad-based tactics game. It is solely lacking in atmosphere in comparison.

Incidentally, XCOM also has a very decent IOS clone: Aliens vs Humans. It was recently updated to include the Geoscape too.

Hunters 2 on the iPad is excellent and should fit the bill if I'm thinking of the right game. 69p (when I got it), and I've put in over 40 hours so far. Think the team that made it have been taken on by Games Workshop to do a Warhammer game, so much be doing something right :)

Hunters 2 on the iPad is excellent and should fit the bill if I'm thinking of the right game. 69p (when I got it), and I've put in over 40 hours so far. Think the team that made it have been taken on by Games Workshop to do a Warhammer game, so much be doing something right :)

I own Hunters 2, but am short an iPad at the moment :) Been shipping tons of stuff to Amazon to get a mini.

Space Hulk was different though because of the First Person view. You couldn't always see what was happening, it was screams/shouts/cameras going off that made the game. Like you were at a command console rather than in the game. I've just not found anything the same since

Xcom or even the kickstarter unofficial sequel is probably your best bet but I can't think of anything that has the first person squad switching type antics.

Space Hulk was a joy though, the screams when one of your dudes dies is still a 'meme' (for want of a better phrase) with my friends; Nathaniel!!!! Azrael!!! quality.

What a very odd coincidence that someone asks this question on the very day that a new Space Hulk game is announced.

A nice coincidence. But odd.

Odd indeed. I've just been going through and culling my pile of shame, and it made me think of Space Hulk as there has been nowt like it since. Nice to see a new version on it's way

• 2 months later...

A really nice interview about this over at RPS: http://www.rockpaper...e-hulk-preview/

Looks like they're not aiming for a 1:1 conversion of the board game, which I for one am actually pretty happy about. Might be sacrilege on my part, but I definitely think the core rules need a bit of tweaking to actually make it a bit more enjoyable. But they're mostly altering stuff like flamer fire and opening doors, so nothing too drastic. And it looks lovely too!

Also this:

Thomas Hentschel Lund: And I can also say that, the ink isn’t dry yet, but we’re also in discussion for another turn-based game license.

If it's *whispers* Necromunda then I'm not sure I'll ever need another video game again. I'd settle for Hero Quest though...

Why do you torture my mind so with your talk of a Necromunda game lewis, WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I figure if I keep saying it enough times then eventually it'll happen. It's the Beetlejuice approach to game development.

The only thing that makes me think that it might be the case this time is the heavy tone of "we really like the new X-COM" in that RPS article, and if any game deserved to be made using that sort of gameplay, it's Necromunda. Probably wrong though. Like always.

NECROMUNDA