rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

So, with some PS4 games The Last of Us, you can get a download code for PSN.

Can you do so with Dark Souls 2?

Looking at getting it, but I missed it a month or so ago when it was in a PSN sales (I hadn't even got past the first parts of Bloodborne so deemed it one for the distant future) and it might not crop up for a while. As I'm abroad, it tends to be expensive to get it posted here. For example, the PS3 version of the original Dark Souls set me back £30.

Was thinking I could get a download copy of DS2 for half that amount, as I think that's how much it was in that PSN sale.

This fucking thing. After losing my previous game due to inexplicable lack of steam cloud save, I decided to start again with a sorcerer, a class I'd never used. Got a long way into the forest of fallen giants and amassed about 10k souls before the game brutally reasserted it's authority and fucked me over from a position of seeming safety.

"I'll just grab that chest and then homeward bone it and cash in."

The chest was a trap and those souls, along with a little part of my own soul, are gone forever.

• Upvote 2

Have been getting into this nicely today. Amazing what a restart will do. Got a sorcerer with a sideline in backstabs and parrying. Pretty tasty against regular minions but bosses are a bit tricky. I'm already further in than my last game in a fraction of the time. 

• Upvote 1

Also you know you've played too much Souls when you're fighting an enemy and recognise his weapon ("hang on, that's Estoc!") before he drops it. :D

I'm still battling through this and enjoying it quite a bit. I figured if I jump into DS3 then I'll never come back. 

So yeah, I've got 3 or 4 giant souls, I've done most of the bosses now and I've just burnt a bonfire ascetic for the 2nd time in Iron Keep. Man, if you want to farm souls (I don't really need to I suppose but hey) that is the place. The knights are not super difficult, there are lots of points you can snipe safely with poison arrows and they chuck out thousands of souls. Then you have to go duff in Smelter, who was outrageously easy as Lucatiel tanked him while I just pinged him with poison arrows. 

I'm using Murakumo which I'm really enjoying. Only pain is farming Titanite Chunks now. 

I guess I should finish it and get on with number 3, I've kind of planned to start that while I'm holiday in July. 

Ok I finished the main game. Never visited the place over from Huntsman Copse except that one time I ran over the bridge and fell through a missing slat and died. Haha. I will go back, it's only that runaway train boss.

Anyway, found the DLC cheap and I went through it all (well haven't finished it fully yet) blind, only reading anything after I'd either tried it a few times or was sure e.g. "there's clearly a bonfire nearby but where?" or checking for missed secrets.

Blimey it's great isn't it. Some of the original areas were like, I really did not like them. I mean I didn't like being in them. There wasn't much of that here. I'm about half way through Ivory King now. Very enjoyable. Then, finally, on to 3!

• Upvote 1

I've done the Ivory King fight now, which is weird as I sort of regret not farming Loyce Souls in the first half of that fight now. 

I've got this incredibly large club (Smelter Hammer?) that floors the Charred Loyce Knights with a heavy attack, so I can handle the three at a time that now spawn but my word it's tediously slow. 

Anyway I went and kicked Vendrick's ass and then nothing. The Ashen Mist Vendrick is pretty cool. Oh right, reading afterwards you're suppose to go back to the Shrine of Amana and pick up his crown and then go back to Ashen Mist heart Vendrick to get some closure. RIGHT THEN, that's obvious, not. 

Still have the frozen wasteland to do and I suppose I should go check out the irritating ??? areas where I've missed bonfires.

Some of the bosses have been really satisfying, just the right mix of skill & patience and grind. I took down Fume Knight with a sliver of health left, same with Vendrick actually - he was on barely anything and I could either heal or swing - now in this game it's ALWAYS heal, right? But that moment it was like - fuck! If I heal and he clips me or whatever I'm dead and just just take this you bastard! Boom. 

I think my favourite recent moment was when you encounter the white phantom who rushes off and is really leading you to the white covetous Demon to fuck you over. The assassin dude. I tried a couple of times to lay him out before he runs off but he scarpered. So I swapped weapons around and went for the poison stone buffed Manslayer katana. I get a toxic cloud on his head as he's waving to me, nail a few hits and I run off the bridge quickly, which is where he had been getting away from me before. But not this time, he's slow as fuck, so I start slashing at him and he starts hitting me back instead of just running. We're both down to low health and I'm thinking shit is he now gonna run off, the little shit, so I back up warily to heal up and he keels over dead from poison. Yusss!

Maldron is one of the most hateful enemies in any of these games.

Have you fought Sir Alonne, stiff?

I'm playing through the base game at the moment (late to the party by about a year or more). Enjoyed it so far. Just killed the Darklurker, which is supposed to be the hardest boss in the base game (I think). Was like a boss in one of the dungeons in Bloodborne, it was that hard.

No idea how far I am away from the end of the base game. Does it warn you before you finish the game or what have you? I know there's a new game+ mode, but I wanna mop up the normal mode first, then do the dlc before I go into a NG+.

After recently replaying DS 1 on the 360, and DS 3 earlier this year, I thought I was all Souls'ed out, but I must be addicted as I've gone straight into Scholar of the First Sin on the PS4. Really enjoying it after about 5 hours or so - up to No Man's Wharf. I'm finding it a little easy so far (beat the Pursuer on my second go), but the additional enemy placements and not quite being able to remember everything makes it enjoyably tense still. After playing a sorcerer build in DS 1 and finding that it put the game on easy mode by the end, I'm going for a high strength, ultra greatsword build, which I think is the best way to play the game.

And maybe it's just because DS 1 on the 360 was as janky as arseholes, but this looks gorgeous on my Pro. Silky smooth framerate, too. So nice, so smooth.

Too many people bad-mouth this game, like its not infinitely better than most titles out there. I've spent as much time with this as any of the other Souls games. And even when i thought i'd burnt out, the remix of Scholar was a welcome change.

Highlight was definitely my [vanilla] no bonfire run. If you scroll back a couple o' hundred pages you might find the travelogue of Rhoy The Explorer.

Good times indeed! :D

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

It's not as well designed and awe-inducing as Dark Souls, not as brutal and bleak as Demon's Souls, not as coherent and beautiful as Bloodborne, and not as tight and mechanically solid as Dark Souls III.

And yet, it might be my favourite entry.

• Upvote 2

I initially started playing this straight after I finished my first playthrough of DS1. It just wouldn't click with me. Dunno if it was the graphics or the timings in the combat but I just couldn't settle so I went to DS3 instead. However, I've started watching ENB's playthrough and I think it's time I gave it another go

I love it. It's big and bloated and has some obvious flaws but at the time I played it I just wanted more Souls and it delivered that in spades (I jumped in with the SotFS release, so there was a massive amount to get through).

I get the complaints about the disjointed level design, and the repetitive boss designs. But one thing I've never understood is the complaints about the controls. Dark Souls II has always felt slightly weightier and more grounded than Dark Souls 1 and Demon's to me, and it has by far the best PVP in the series because of this. I think people got used to certain tricks in the earlier games, like the easily-exploitable backstabs, and declared Dark Souls II a travesty when they found these didn't carry over well.

• Upvote 3

On 28/12/2016 at 17:16, Jamie John said:

After recently replaying DS 1 on the 360, and DS 3 earlier this year, I thought I was all Souls'ed out, but I must be addicted as I've gone straight into Scholar of the First Sin on the PS4. Really enjoying it after about 5 hours or so - up to No Man's Wharf. I'm finding it a little easy so far (beat the Pursuer on my second go), but the additional enemy placements and not quite being able to remember everything makes it enjoyably tense still. After playing a sorcerer build in DS 1 and finding that it put the game on easy mode by the end, I'm going for a high strength, ultra greatsword build, which I think is the best way to play the game.

And maybe it's just because DS 1 on the 360 was as janky as arseholes, but this looks gorgeous on my Pro. Silky smooth framerate, too. So nice, so smooth.

After playing this game exclusively for over a month I've finally completed it. More than anything else, I just feel relieved that I can play something else now. Although I enjoyed most of it and thought the DLC was a lot better than the first game's, parts of it were a right old slog. @JohnnyRyall's description of it as being 'bloated' is bang on. I rushed through the last DLC I played (Old Iron King) because I just wanted to finish the damn thing and couldn't be arsed to explore it properly or do the optional areas. Also, with the exception of the final bosses in the DLCs (the bastid Fume Knight especially), it wasn't really very challenging. I was able to get through most bosses first time and finished the game at SL 180, or something silly, because I didn't really lose any souls. Having said that, if it was more difficult I'm not sure I'd have bothered to complete it, playing it half asleep at the end of a long day as I tended to do. It would have just felt like more effort to learn bosses' attack patterns or effective routes through tricky areas, instead of just tanking and butt hugging everything, like I did, and I don't know if I'd have been up for it. It'll be nice to play something now where I don't have to concentrate so much.

I think the main issue is that I've finally hit Souls fatigue after playing III, then the DLC, then replaying the first game and the DLC within the last four months. I almost wish the next Souls III DLC wasn't coming out as soon as it is, as I don't wanted to be jaded still when I play it.

Still, as ever, it's a Souls game, so the quality is taken for granted, and the fact that I've spent about 60 hours of my life playing it over the last six weeks, and nothing else, is praise enough. I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you never played the original game.

Separately, does any one know of a website that explains the story of the game in a coherent, well-written way? I've tried reading the lore entries on a couple of Wikis, but they also seem so sprawling and read like they've been written by sixth formers with little grasp of the English language.

As ever with the Souls games, I didn't really know what was going at all from the very first cut-scene.

Having picked up Scholar in a Humble sale in January, I've just finished the main story for the base game. I've never really enjoyed the idea of Souls games (my Bloodborne platinum a possible exception, although I still treat that as its own separate thing) but I kind of liked the tweaks in this particular game - warping to bonfires cuts out a lot of the legwork I got bored of in DaS1, and the despawning discouraged my farm-happy mentality.

I went with a Strength character and ended up taking a "Bastard Sword" to +10 :D - the ability to tweak equip load through levelling was also interesting to me, and it helped me keep some good gear on without sacrificing a roll. There were a few optional things I didn't do, and I wanted to get through with no summons, but I ended up using one for the first Pursuer encounter. Happily, I solo'd him in the rematch (after Smelter) and if I ever decide to start over I'll try and solo him first time. The Thronebros were a sticking point I never thought I'd get past, but the panic of trying to keep track of them was countered by their (mostly) easily telegraphed moves. (I also didn't realise that the lightning enchantment wore off after a while.)

Anyway, I might look at DLC areas in the future, but I'm happy to take a break here (and the next few weeks are going to be busy in terms of new releases anyway :P) I still don't know if I'm converted to Souls, but this has provided dozens of hours of play for the £8.99 or whatever I paid.

• Upvote 3

@Qazimod I went with the old Bastard Sword as well and didn't really change from the moment I picked it up about three hours in, right through to the end. 

One issue I have with the upgrading system in the Souls games is that you're given all these cool sounding weapons that you never really bother experimenting with because they're never as good as the +10 whatever weapon you've been toting from earlier in the game. Of course, you can always level up other weapons, but titanite is so valuable that you become really particular about which weapons you choose to apply it to and typically end up with only enough to fully level one weapon in the entire game, unless you decide to farm it, which I can't be done with. Chunks, especially, in this game I found very hard to come by. Slabs, however, I seemed to have a relative abundance of by the time I finished the DLCs, but they're useless without the chunks. 

In this regard, Bloodborne's focus on fewer weapons and armour sets is much better, if you ask me, as it makes every item pick up meaningful and not completely redundant two thirds of the time, which is what you seem to get in the Souls games. It's particularly galling when you've gone out of your way to get to a chest, fighting through a dozen difficult enemies on the way, only to find the treasure is a bloody priest's chime, or some similar bollocks.

• Upvote 4

I've watched this today.  It's rather good and enjoyed (if not entirely agreed with) the points made.  Make some time for it!

• Upvote 1

Funnily I started this again yesterday. I think it's worth playing but the combat does feel different and the roll being tied to adaptability might piss you off.

It definitely has some of the best bosses in the series if that's your bag.

At the very least play it to find out for yourself whether you agree with Spainkiller. It's the weakest of all the From Souls-likes for me, but it's still miles better than imitators like Lords of the Fallen etc

Besides, you want to complete your Souls experience

Its starting to feel like a yearly ritual that i have to come into this thread and defend this game. It's absurd to think this is anything other than brilliant, which it is! I could ramble on about why, but you only need to scroll back a few hundred pages. Just play it, and enjoy the hell out of it.  

• Upvote 1