rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

Matchmaking in DS II is determined by soul memory (the total number of souls you've collected), rather than soul level, so it's possible that you and your friend were in different SM tiers, and therefore wouldn't have been able to co-op with one another.

I think From over-complicated the system with Dark Souls II, though I found that it's usually possible to arrange co-op sessions, provided you're in the same soul memory tier and you leave your summon sign somewhere obscure where no one else is likely to interact with it.

There are items that allow you to expand the number of soul memory tiers open to you for summoning but I won't go into that now.

Matchmaking in DS II is determined by soul memory (the total number of souls you've collected), rather than soul level, so it's possible that you and your friend were in different SM tiers, and therefore wouldn't have been able to co-op with one another.

I didn't know that. I certainly wasn't clear in the guide we followed.

That seems a pretty stupid system.

I didn't know that. I certainly wasn't clear in the guide we followed.

That seems a pretty stupid system.

It is a bit of a rubbish system tbh.

You can help the match making process by both buying & wearing the same named rings (buy them from the cat).

The biggest issue I can see is the "huge" faff to re summon after death...in a game all about death.

Kauwiks promises "it's gunna be great" [fun] though

I've had this for ages but rarely play it. I loved the original but just can't seem to make any progress in this.

Give it a few hours. If it's the way the world links and most of the design it does improve in those areas. If it's the feel of the game and the differences from the original in the combat pacing, animations and stuff then that's not going to change. I found that the movement (especially rolling) felt sluggish, but that the weapons all felt kind of weightless and floaty and that when attacks connected (with me or enemies) it felt like there was no impact. That and the way they've ruined backstabs meant that I never enjoyed the combat like I did with the first one, and unsatisfying combat is the death of a game like this.

I felt like they'd ruined the systems from the first game, and because it's so similar in some ways that never stopped bothering me. If that's how you feel then give up, because the latter part of my playing (through the supposedly "best" parts) felt like a chore and I hated it. No amount of points in ADP or changing gear will ever make the combat feel like the first game, and if you don't enjoy the new combat system it's not fun to play.

For DS (and DS2) I've always been a Sorcery (staff in one had, shield or sword in other).

I can't see me changing much from this on Scholar play, but would anyone particularly recommend another set up?

Two handed spear run? Great reach, but no shield, so dodging well becomes essential. Or right hand dagger, left hand parrying dagger, so you have to commit to parries to do decent damage? I'm just starting my first scorcery run of scholar:)

I'll be honest. There's 99.99999% I'll be a mage again. I like PEW PEW PEW too much

Plus I just can't backstab for toffee.

HAH HAH HAH I done smashed in the Fume Knight after six months of trying HAH HAH.

My life can now end. Christ he is a dickhead.

• Upvote 1

Gotten as far as RatSif in the pharros area, got to say I'm quite enjoying this now.

I still think the areas are a little harder to read than they should be, and dont connect as well, but taken individually the themes of each area are really quite interesting.

I still struggle with the new UI too, and havent figured out why I cant get any attunement slots for pyromancy regardless of levelling.

There are clearly a couple of sly bastards on staff, too, for better or worse.

One the one hand, someone perfectly predicted when to place mimics. Just far enough in that I'd finally given up hitting chests 'just in case', reasoning that they must have been removed from the sequel, then.....BAM, the very next one fucking eats me. Very clever.

On the downside there's areas like just before the rotten, where they went a bit overboard on fucking poison traps. Also, little things like weapon degredation. Mostly though, pretty cool.

1 night. That's all for this to get properly under my skin.

Inevitably went Sorcerer - but forgot how squishy and low damage they were at the start. Watching Kauwiks (duel wield swords) in comparison was shocking. Used my dagger lots (but got the lovely fire longsword to compliment me now)

It's strange doing the first section again now I know (and sort of remember) decent tactics. Got to and kill The Last Giant much quicker (although we forgot that once the boss is gone you can't summon so will have to explore the alternate sections of the forest for loot solo)

It's really odd playing and talking with someone at the same time though. They have completely different styles (and therefore strengths/weaknesses/tactics) and do things in entirely different way.

Beyond different combat styles Kauwiks did the game last time in an entirely different order at the start and hadn't found (in my mind) a brilliant shortcut. (He had however found a bonfire I completely missed on my last game).

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I've well and truly got the itch back - looking forward to getting home to more of this, and very excited to play through as a duel-wielding swordsman. Need to pick-up a falchion from the blacksmith by the sounds of things, and start levelling up my swords in the short-term. Focusing on the positive re multiplayer, the nice thing about DS2 using Soul Memory rather than Soul Level to determine the range is that if I put souls into my gear to begin with, and Hexx decides he'd rather bump up his Soul Level instead, we can still meet up for Jolly Co-operation, which would have scuppered us in the first game. We're decked out with soapstones and the engraved ring too, which should mean we don't have to worry about the range too much.

In any case, I had great fun hurling myself around like a duel-wielding maniac, though was doing comically low damage to the Pursuer, so we rapidly Brave Sir Robin'ed that one. The Last Giant went down like a chump though, which is just as well - after many months away from the Souls series, my insistence that "WE'LL BE FINE!" wasn't wholly convincing even to me :D

DARK SOULS!

• Upvote 3

Given the fact we hadn't leveled up at that point (due to spending souls on co-op ring) I'm amazed we killed the giant.

Continued adventures of Hexx and slightly upperty side-kick Kauwiks

Heidi's tower was good fun (although after doing pitiful damage to the enemies we realised we had to level up weapons) until we thought to go the route up to church of the blue to get the helpful "no max HP reduction on death" ring afterall that wasn't that hard...OH SHIT ITS A DRAGON. After exhausting many arrows we still ended up running away.

Boss went down quick and then the Wharf (point in the game last time I started loving it) was amazing. Nice medium sized area with different routes and shortcuts to unlock. Different enemies and hazards...loved it.

Properly leveled up now with a good batch of spells (forgot how quickly your basic soul arrows ran out at early levels).

The co-op stuff isn't quite as cumbersum as I thought - good us of small soap stones and progressing alternatively in each game world keeps humanity/souls/estus/spells properly charged.

• Upvote 2

"Sidekick" indeed - he hides behind me and casts spells while I get hit in the face... shit, I AM the Sidekick!

Any tips for playing as a dual-wielding swordsman? Was struggling not to take damage from the taller sword/shield guys in the wharf last night, much to my frustration. Ultimately switched to a shield and blew through them with ease, but really want to avoid falling back on old comfort zones. Currently using a falchion and curved sword.

Get your ADP up to 25 as soon as possible. The iframe advantage will really help. Roll INTO attacks, not away from them and keep your weight down. Preferably below 50%.

• Upvote 2

And don't walk of docks into the sea! That's important. ;)

Also - what the chuffin hell are these black pyramid head style things about the wharf? I don't remember those from last time.

Maybe a rapier in one hand? The thrusty attacks are really good for getting the first hit in, and it recovers fast. Plus it makes you look dashing:)

• Upvote 1

I've definitely been missing a thrust attack, so rapier is probably a good call. Any disadvantage to using 2 rapiers? Think I need to use the same class of weapon in both hands to be able to use the power stance, right?

EDIT: Looks like I was mistaken re powerstance; will try Estoc MH and Falchion OH. Stabby, slashy and fancy.

Rapier protip: tap the roll button to backstep, then immediately tap light attack for +2 errol flynn;)

• Upvote 2

Nope :D

So without recounting all our adventures - Lost Sinner dead. Got into a good rhythm with co-oping and it generally is working seamlessly. It's a little cumbersome when there's bits fo the area after the boss fight (e.g. Bastille after Sentinels to Lost Sinners tower) which means more solo sections.

Gets a bit tricky to remember to do things off the path in each realm (e.g. talk to NPCs for stuff) but goes well

SotFS is just different enough to confuse you (a statue? here? But I want the branch of yaw for..etc).

How signposted in the DLC? It better not be easily missed!

8 hours into SotFS now and gotta say its not really feeling like fun.

Just seems to be have upped the difficulty by just chucking more and more enemies at you. Bloodborne and DS1 got everything so right with those feelings of panic and excitement followed by elation and just aren't there for me yet. 3 bosses fought and all instantly forgettable and as more enemies appear on the screen I just feel weary. The combat feels so much more laboured than its brothers and things like the shitty amount of stamina you get just grate.

Just lost 10k souls...again so maybe its the bitterness talking but I'm wondering if I'm a bit fatigued by all the SoulsBorning recently. BB into DS into this and this is clearly not in the same league, maybe I need a break.

I'm at no-mans wharf and it's pretty grim and dark (torch mechanic...wtf?!), please somebody tell me it picks up after that.

• Upvote 2

It does pick up, yes. For me, right around No Man's Wharf.

I'm now a bit further on than you and don't know where to go anymore though so there may be more troughs after the peaks. 

7 hours ago, KartoffelKopf said:

8 hours into SotFS now and gotta say its not really feeling like fun.

Just seems to be have upped the difficulty by just chucking more and more enemies at you. Bloodborne and DS1 got everything so right with those feelings of panic and excitement followed by elation and just aren't there for me yet. 3 bosses fought and all instantly forgettable and as more enemies appear on the screen I just feel weary. The combat feels so much more laboured than its brothers and things like the shitty amount of stamina you get just grate.

Just lost 10k souls...again so maybe its the bitterness talking but I'm wondering if I'm a bit fatigued by all the SoulsBorning recently. BB into DS into this and this is clearly not in the same league, maybe I need a break.

I'm at no-mans wharf and it's pretty grim and dark (torch mechanic...wtf?!), please somebody tell me it picks up after that.

I had the same experience with DaS2 and then again with SotFS. Still thought Bloodborne was totally awesome though, and going back to DaS1 for a bit was as good as it ever was. Therefore the game must be at fault, rather than me getting Souls fatigue. With Dark Souls 3 being so close I would recommend you stop playing DaS2 right now, there's a strong possibility that you're spoiling that experience for yourself by playing DaS2 at this moment. 

DaS2 doesn't really pick up later on imho. The areas keep feeling as disconnected as they do now and  the same annoyances you listed persist all the way to the end - the only thing that changes is that you are getting more powerful, which negates those annoyances a bit the further you get.

All imo of course,  there are plenty of people who love DaS2 to bits.

• Upvote 3

I'm one of them, I'm currently on my third and final play through to get the platinum on this. Love this game so much, I'd say keep playing.

It did take me a couple of attempts to get it though. Didn't enjoy it too much first time, it was only when I played the SOTFS version that I got hooked.