Dark Souls II - Prepare to Die, Again

Uzi

Is there any indication of what areas are a good idea to do at what point? I've done the forest of fallen giants (both bosses), heide's, the cathedral of blue, no mans wharf and huntsman's copse. Off the top of my head I've got two entrances to the lost Bastille and harvest valley to visit, plus probably other places. Any pointers?

I think one of the strengths of Souls 2 is that the order really doesn't make much difference, you can tackle it any way you want and carving your own path is half the fun! It's not like the first game where you can really go the wrong way / to areas way beyond you.

And I haven't finished it at Soul Level 1! I did 3 of the 4 Great Souls though. :) ADP is so overrated imo, for my first character I pumped tons of points into it - later I respecced, put ADP back to default (like 9 or something) and literally couldn't tell the difference!!

There is a second area after Huntsmans. Have an explore and try to find Undead Purgatory.

Or with a bit of feline help (or an item/event/person not long after Harvest Valley) you could head down a pit?

Is it across that rickety looking wooden bridge? The ambush before it with the four guys kept screwing me up and annoyed me so I bailed.

It's not so much the lack of direction in general as the lack of direction to those four boss souls and what I'm supposed to do to get them.

I'm level 65 now and with an ADP of 20 the roll is still tonnes slower than the first game, even if I take all my clothes off. I'm using a 100% physical shield and greatsword and not rolling anywhere near as much as I did in the first game.

I've got Harvest Valley or the shaded woods now, or down the hole or across the bridge. I want a great soul, where can I get one?

Those four guys in the run up to Purgatory are a real difficulty spike. The whip guys mean you can't really block and it's really easy to get stun-locked and battered when there's more than one coming after you. Even on the NG+ run I'm on now it's a bit tricky and I'm levelled up quite high. As always, try and pull them one at a time. If you've got a bow that'll help aggro them one at a time. Look for a summon sign too, if you've got enough Effigys to stay human.

That being said, once you've done that bit - or even before if you get bored banging your head against it - go do Lost Bastille. It may not be the prettiest but it is fun but there's a useful NPC or two to be found...

I have discovered so much in all of the Souls games by laying down my summon and joining people's games. Broker, I would pop my sign down near the bonfire in Huntsman's Copse and have a little explore. After a few minutes you'll be sucked into someone's game, chances are they'll be on the run through the four whippy gits.

I'm also another one who doesn't notice the roll changing much with ADP. I much prefer keeping weight below 60%, for a faster roll speed.

The paths through the game have definite end points (umm, ignoring DLC...) - the bosses found there are the ones with the great souls.

Who the hell looked at these levels and decided how they connected? I went through a dark valley which was two minutes walk from the sunny seaside, ended up at a mine filled with poison, climbed up a windmill, beat a boss and then took a lift upwards to a castle surrounded by lava.

The persistence of mob ambushes really ends up showing off the weakness in the AI. In the first game you had to engage people one by one or you were screwed. A two or three enemy ambush was a nightmare. In this it constantly throws three or four enemies at you at a time, but if you use raged attacks to draw them out one by one they're incredibly easy. My ability to swipe through groups with my greatsword has softened it quite a bit.

It's not like it's not good, I'm enjoying it but it reminds me so much of why I never enjoyed demons souls that much. I don't feel like I'm really exploring if I'm just going to a series of totally disconnected locations and looking around.

Not sure whether all these are new news, but here ya go:

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin - Upgrades and Improvement Details

• The Scholar of the First Sin: A new mysterious NPC will guide the player through the new hazards of Drangleic and beyond - what his presence foretells, we have yet to know...
  • There's a way to keep enemy respawn! If players now join the covenant "Company Of Champions", enemies will no longer disappear after a set amount of kills.
  • The number of white phantom summons (co-op) has been increased to 6 simultaneously. :mellow:
  • White Phantoms no longer disappear in the middle of boss fights - like Dark Souls, they will stay until either the boss or player dies.
  • The warp menu will now highlight the top three areas with the most traffic, so players can choose to avoid or invade said locations. :twisted:
  • Item descriptions and lore has been enhanced for many items across the board for a deeper understanding of the Dark Souls II universe.
  • A new item known as the "Agape Ring" will allow players to control their total soul count - the modifier on which online matchmaking is based. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I can't beat the fucking Pursuer, I just can't do it. I know what I'm supposed to do, I've got to the Ballistas several times but I either can't get my shot away in time or I fire and it misses him. I've tried parrying, I've tried dodging....IT JUST DOESN'T FUCKING WORK! Can anyone give me any advice? Three times I've brought summons in, they've shot me with the fucking ballistas.

This is worse than Ornstein and Smoug, at least they were technically difficult

As others have said, dodge right then attack once, unless he's doing "slash, slash, leaping overhead", in which case get ready to roll forward under him after your first roll.

Wear light armour, use a weapon that's not too slow. Stay close, give him a hug;) It also really helps that after every attack, he will back away before attacking again. Get the timing down and soon you'll be killing him without taking a single hit:)

It's only good at all because of the stuff it steals from the first one, the tiny improvements in mechanics don't make up for the worse AI, worse environment design, worse enemies and everything else. It's like the people directing it didn't understand what was good about the first game at all.