rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Cyhwuhx

Ingress (Google location based ARG, now also on iOS)

http://www.ingress.com/

So anyone playing Google's ARG? Got my invite a few days ago and it's rather good fun.

Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nianticproject.ingress

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/ingress/id576505181?mt=8

You secure Portals by planting Resonators at locations and use them to create fields by linking up three of the secured Portals earning you a score for either the Resistance or the Enlightened. That's what you do in short. I've written a bit more about it here.

Yup. Mostly because it seemed to be the least popular when I signed up. It's balancing out a bit in the last few days, but when I started it was RE 90% vs. EN 10% globally. :P The Netherlands turns out to be EN-territory in general.

Slowly trying to set-up Fields in my hometown, though Amsterdam exploded this week, with a rogue RE-guy wrecking Resonators left and right (see the screen I posted). He basically punched a hole right in the center around the Wallen. The fallout from those actions were rather nice to track and the repairs have been mightily impressive.

[edit] Oh nevermind, Rotterdam and Groningen are turning blue.

Here's a snapshot of central London btw:

skitch.png

Isn't it just that Shadow Cities thing? Your description makes it sound very similar.

Haven't played that. Considering some of the information used in Ingress, it's a rather old project though. Some of the landmarks simply don't exist any more.

Can I still play if I never leave the house?

Nope. Unless you want to over-analyse the Intel Map and provide orders for the others on your side. Still, it's unlikely people want to follow orders of a Level 1 player. :P You need to get out if you want to level up, I'm afraid.

Got my invite last night and started submitting portals today to populate my local area. It's fun but I think I should have chosen Resistance as London is probably around 85% Enlightened.

How did you get your invite?

I signed up a little while ago but got nothing.

If anyone gets a spare invite please let me know.

Can I add my name to the invite list too, please? Looks pretty intriguing.

And me. I signed up anyway in the meantime. Looks interesting.

I got mine by submitting artwork to the +Ingress google+ account. Not my finest few hours trying different things but it worked. I ended up photoshopping a cat pic with a logo on it.

The game is brilliant btw, really addictive when you start finding low level portals, taking them over then walking 500m to get another and link them up... Nearly froze my hand off tonight stealing portals around the Mall in london.

Cyhwuhx, what side are you? Just need to know if I can trust you... ;)

I'm enlightened and the area around my office WAS very strongly run by 'us' but not anymore - you can see people actually hacking portals on street corners around the British Museum, it was funny - waved at one another earlier as i fought to defend a portal as he attacked.

Love this, very easy to get sucked in.

I put my name down on the list a while ago but have heard nothing yet, which is disappointing considering I have been an Android phone user since 2009.

Stroke of genius from Google though, this is all an elaborate ruse to make Google Maps even better than everybody elses, isnt it?

Supert3d, I'm an EN btw. :D Which is a bit of a conundrum now that my hometime has about a dozen of Resistance dudes active, while my side has about three (including me).

So far there hasn't been a lot of Maps optimization, 'errors' with the map (which are Ingress specific) are only added to Google Maps feedback, making it useless. Most of the current stuff seems to be based on Panoramio stuff, which can be outdated sadly.

Last weekend I wrote a small report on my progress here: http://cyhwuhx.tumblr.com/post/37513463685/ingress-diary-day-18

Apparently sharing that on Google+ with #ingressreport awarded me a few invites to share (sorry, all gone to local soldiers). Other ways to gain invites (for non-players) seem to include making clever art references to Ingress and sharing that to the G+ Ingress page.

The game itself is becoming crack; it's pretty much what I wanted Foursquare, Gowalla et al to be but they never dived in. That said, there are some balancing issues that are now popping up and Niantic Labs may have underestimated the optimization efforts of players. GPS spoofing is taking place, account sharing is present and most multi-use passcodes for gear are instantly depleted as they hit Reddit and the like.

Regardless, the main core of the game is fun and if you are into any level of urban exploration it'll tickle your fancy. Just pouring over the Intel Map can be strangely addictive in that 'stats & text' Uplink kind of way. If played out correctly by Google, it may even change everyday life to a certain degree.

Superb stuff, I changed my route walking the dog to complete the tutorial. Sadly, the nearest stuff to me is in Illinois, on the way to Chicago. If you're on your feet in a populated area a lot, I'm sure this is really addictive.

I got an invite yesterday and did the tutorial stuff today while in town.

It's an interesting concept and a nice AR implementation. However, the actual "game" bits of it are a bit flaky, not too well thought through and implemented. Not really sure I will be bothered to pay it much attention.

How is not well thought through? It's a very simple game so that things can be stacked on top of it. People creating blocking links just to keep opposition from building fields, destroying high concentrations of portals to keep people from over-farming, leaving certain portals alone to let the enemy focus rather than expand, luring enemies into destroying badly build links and portals... There's a lot going on in the background and collaboration with local players makes it even better imo.

Sorry, I posted in a bit of a rush. I was really referring to the specific mechanics I used during the tutorial. Specifically, the way that you hack, capture, and link, portals just seemed a bit poorly thought out. There seemed to be lots of unnecessary tapping on the same button to hack, hack a code, deploy some thingies around the captured portal, then pretty much do the same with other nearby portals. It just seemed like "busy work" rather than having any real purpose.

The actual game, as you describe, looks like it could be pretty good. I just don't think I've got the time for all the "fiddly bits" :)

Ah, actually there are some subtleties in deploying resonators. Your distance from where you deploy them in relation to the portal, dictates the distance between resonator and portal on the map. The farther they are spaced the harder they are to hit with bursters.

Also a resonator adds to the maximum distance a portal can link. If you destroy a resonator, it might not destroy the links associated with the portal, purely because it's still within maximum distance (Which is important to know if you can't destroy an entire portal, but want to sabotage some of the links.) Of course the real attraction is in trying to claim enough fields to produce the top amount of MU worldwide. But most people are more interested in claiming (local) regions for their faction.