Was - The Project Godus Thread. Now - The Official Molyneux Thread Of Lies!

Bojangle

Wasn't Godus a shite game in the first place so having an update to it is like polishing a turd?

If there had been new characters and backgrounds for Rise of the Robots would we have been keen to get hold of the update or just have ignored it and played Super Mario World instead?

With Peter claiming to be a coder on the project. Better yet, claiming to be a "Bill Gates" - taking the project in-hand and personally fixing it. I'm guessing he insisted on 'doing the menus' in Unity despite the game being written in Marmalade. Surely only someone with absolute authority could have insisted the menu system was done in a different engine?

Knowing Peter he wasn't coding menus, the examples given in the article are much more his thing. But I don't know for sure, the two engines thing is insanity there must be some reason to it beyond menus, like there's some sort of network layer of something there, I can't believe it's just for menus. Hopefully one of the 22 Cans guys turns up for the Guildford dev drinks this month and talks, cause that's just bizarre.

They started out using Unity, I think Curiosity was Unity based. Then they moved to Marmalade for Godus cause reasons, I got told but I can't remember I think it was something to do with platform support.

The last project Peter coded on before this was Black & White 2, where he has his own class Peters.h/cpp which our lead programmer rewrote before launch.

K

The last project Peter coded on before this was Black & White 2, where he has his own class Peters.h/cpp which our lead programmer rewrote before launch.

Gotta love those descriptive class names.

Lord knows what the variables in there were called. :)

Sounds like a sociopath.

I thought I was bad by getting our company source code version control server named after me.

I think Dan (our lead coder) created & named it and told him to keep all his stuff in there. Peter can code, he's more an old school C coder. On Black & White he did a fair chunk of the coding, on BW2 he was overseeing multiple projects and was only coding a bit on it cause that's what he'd always done so it made sense to cordon him off and properly integrate his code.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Remember that Konrad guy, you know the guy who Molyneux made lead 'developer' of Godus, but was essentially classed as an intern so they didn't have to pay him and then threw him under the bus once the media started being mean to poor old Peter? Looks like they've now 22shitcanned the poor guy. Hopefully he can get a job at a less dodgy outfit.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1236380

Oh yeah, he was the guy who was a major kickstarter backer to begin with. Didn't they make a big song and dance about giving him full control over (the part of) the game (they couldn't be arsed with doing)?

Who is working on it now, then, the 17 year old kid who operates the twitter account as a summer job? Bryan Henderson?

To think some people felt sorry for Molyneux after that RPS interview!

• 2 months later...

That actually looks quite charming and very far from the rather mercenary Farmville-or-Clash-copying microtransaction game that Godus wanted to be.

Plus they've actually developed a game and not talked about it, rather than make millions of bullshit promises in advance! This could turn public perception around.

7 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

That actually looks quite charming and very far from the rather mercenary Farmville-or-Clash-copying Godus.

Plus they've actually developed a game and not talked about it, rather than make millions of bullshit promises in advance, this could turn public perception around.

Nah. ;)

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, deerokus said:

That's a very sympathetic article. Godus is 'much maligned' as if it was a bad game, rather than an essentially non-existent one. 

Thats a bit harsh. I played Godus not long after release and actually quite enjoyed it, kind of lost its way as the game progressed but the early game plays a very acceptable variant of Populous and controlled well on iOS. Certainly never lived up to the nonsense PM spouted - par for the course with anything he touches, but It was definitely a game at one point. 

• 10 months later...