Was - The Project Godus Thread. Now - The Official Molyneux Thread Of Lies!

Considering he couldn't even manage to get a 'game' where all you do is knock smaller cubes off a bigger cube ad infinitum right, then good luck with making a multiplayer (sorry, 'global co-operation, competition, creation', the term multiplayer is so passé darling) game containing a "living, changing world" (insert acorn tree joke here).

What is going on here ?. He must have loads of VC backing why must he come cap in hand to the community three weeks later when they cant even get the first experiment of a proposed 22 to work.

Not a great use of Kickstarters resources and infact probably taking away finance from smaller indie projects and ideas he's championed.

FUCK. RIGHT. OFF.

Terrible video by the way. All that's wrong with Molly in 4 and a half excruciating minutes. At least they use the opportunity to take the piss out of the mismatch between his vision and his delivery a bit.

But... still, I can't believe 2000 people have already thrown money at him. :wacko:

Now I'm biting my tongue, cause I wish them well I really do but there's a whole load of frustration and cynicism here too (number one on the list would be, a god game when you wouldn't let us make one at LH!?)

Do you want the obvious answers?

1) Maybe he privately did want to return to the god game genre? Lionhead was owned by MS. If MS didnt want a god game then LH wouldnt be allowed to make one and PM would not have been allowed to bleat about it

2) He was more interested in the Fable and Milo/Kinect stuff a few years ago. Now he has moved on from that or is satisfied by it and wants a new challange and wants to return to God games.

As a vaguely lowlevel artistic person I can understand both reasons. I have said in past about stuff "oh I wouldnt do xxxx" or "I wouldnt go back and another xxxx" and then 2 years later I want to do it and people say "but you said youd never... " blahblah blah. Attitudes evolve and change otherwise you only do the same thing over and over and over.

Wasn't Black and White a God game?

yup, but they've been a no go since 2005.

Do you want the obvious answers?

1) Maybe he privately did want to return to the god game genre? Lionhead was owned by MS. If MS didnt want a god game then LH wouldnt be allowed to make one and PM would not have been allowed to bleat about it

2) He was more interested in the Fable and Milo/Kinect stuff a few years ago. Now he has moved on from that or is satisfied by it and wants a new challange and wants to return to God games.

As a vaguely lowlevel artistic person I can understand both reasons. I have said in past about stuff "oh I wouldnt do xxxx" or "I wouldnt go back and another xxxx" and then 2 years later I want to do it and people say "but you said youd never... " blahblah blah. Attitudes evolve and change otherwise you only do the same thing over and over and over.

Yeah I completely understand there are many reasons why we wouldn't have done one, from publishers to focusing on other things, to where your interests lie at any particular time, etc, etc. But it doesn't stop the reaction of 'arg'.

Shame the final game will look nothing like the concept shots.

Now look here. This is Peter Molyneux, a world famous games designer man, and I don't think you get to be one of those by promising one thing and then not delivering it. What a ridiculous suggestion.

Smaller Indies like Double Fine, Obsidian, and Uber? Or does this complaint only surface when it's Peter?

I'm a bit conflicted on it, really. Obsidian and Double Fine are both making games that logic dictates are commercially unviable, but games that are wanted by a specific group of people - it might turn out that once they're out they'll sell billions, but it could easily turn out they don't make a single penny more from the releases. Neither have the finances to pay for them out right in advance, neither project would be helped by a standard publishing model and the final project is fairly self-contained so should (should) stick to budget.

Elite and Populous both feel more like they're games that the company want to make, but that thanks to the people involved I think a publisher could have been found and that the aims are understandable and publisher pressure for changes perhaps wouldn't have been as high. If a publisher wants Elite, or Minecrafty Populous 2 that's a fairly simple take it or leave it position. The reasons publishers would say no to Braben and Molyneux are the same for individuals investing in them - they might run out of money before it's done.

The first (significant) funded and then failed project is going to have a big effect on Kickstarter and it could easily be one of these two.

Biglime nails it. Hard.

http://effingarcade.tumblr.com/

I don't see the problem with this at all, and Biglime's got it wrong I'd say. If you are, say, a musician with an established catalogue, and you do a gig, your product is the gig. Your fans choose beforehand if they wish to pay you to gig. If they don't, you don't gig.

I fail to see how Kickstarter is any different.

I don't see the problem with this at all, and Biglime's got it wrong I'd say. If you are, say, a musician with an established catalogue, and you do a gig, your product is the gig. Your fans choose beforehand if they wish to pay you to gig. If they don't, you don't gig.

I fail to see how Kickstarter is any different.

This is a good analogy, although in this case the band in question is probably someone akin to Guns'n'Roses. They might be amazing...Or they might turn up massively late and in a complete state and you can't get your money back either way because you paid slightly too much on eBay before hand because you wanted a poster with your ticket.