IGNORED

Now You See Me - Action-Thriller with a Magic Twist

lordcookie

Synopsis: The Four Horsemen, a magic super-group led by the charismatic ATLAS (Jesse Eisenberg), perform a pair of high-tech magic shows, first astonishing audiences by robbing a bank on another continent, and then exposing a white-collar criminal and funneling his millions into the audience members’ bank accounts.

FBI Special Agent DYLAN (Mark Ruffalo) is determined to make the magicians pay for their crimes—and to stop them before they pull off what promises to be an even more audacious heist. But he’s forced to partner with ALMA (Melanie Laurent), an Interpol detective about whom he is instantly suspicious. Out of desperation he turns to THADDEUS (Morgan Freeman), a famed magic debunker, who claims the bank heist was accomplished using disguises and video trickery. One thing Dylan and Alma agree on is that the Horsemen must have an outside point person, and that finding him (or her) is key to ending the magicians’ crime spree. Could it be Thaddeus? Or Alma? Or could it really be…magic?

As pressure mounts and the world awaits the Horsemen’s spectacular final trick, Dylan and Alma race to find an answer. But it soon becomes painfully clear that staying one step ahead of these masters of illusion is beyond the skills of any one man—or woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNfiXZzmhjw

The film has an impressive cast but Louis Leterrier is a weak director so it could go either way.

Certainly has potential, and like you say, that's pretty damn impressive cast.

There's another magic themed film due next year, a comedy with Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey, called The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. You wait years for a magic film...

Interested in this for the cast alone. Isla Fisher :wub:

Louis Leterrier is a weak director so it could go either way.

Wasn't familar with the name so had to look up his work. I quite enjoyed the Transporter films and The Incredible Hulk. Then again wasn't much of a fan of Unleashed and only heard bad things about Clash of the Titans.

There's another magic themed film due next year, a comedy with Steve Carrell and Jim Carrey, called The Incredible Burt Wonderstone. You wait years for a magic film...

There must be some kind of rule where movies based on magicians have to be released in twos. Much like The Prestige and The Illusionist being released around the same time.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, Goose is right- that trailer spoils quite a few moments in the film- including one pretty important one.

Mild spoilers below I guess- nothing giving away but some chat about the structure.

Saw this the other night. The set-up is pretty good and intriguing : magicians as thieves, doing it all live on stage, first hour zips along at a decent pace, it's fluff but enjoyable enough, but then it just gets more and more convoluted and less believable and you're basically hanging in for that final twist they've promised you all along (there are heavy handed hints dropped right from the opening where we're informed that the closer we look, the less we see... and along the way we're constantly reminded that we everything we see is deception and distraction) - it's just a shame that the end point turns out to be a "Seriously...? Fuck off..." moment more than an "Oh my God..." one.

Suppose the biggest problem is that it's two hours long but by the end you basically don't know any of the main characters (the magicians) any better than you did at the start- zero character development, and minimum interaction. It almost manages to be a fun Oceans 11 meets Derren Brown popcorn flick but ends up veering into stupid territory and never finds it's way back out.

On the plus side Woody Harrelson continues to show massive amounts of charisma, and the journey along the way is fun for the most part (although the visual style is way too fussy and intrusive), just a shame the destination is a steaming pile of horse shit. Michael Caine showing up just reminded me how much better The Prestige handled things, even if that was even more far-fetched it felt a lot more grounded and satisfying by the end. And Morgan Freeman reminded me that Seven had much better gameplan for it's final act. And, um, James Franco's brother reminded me of James Franco.

Aye, it's not terrible. It's romps along and it has some fun moments and it at least tries to get you involved and intrigued (it even performs a magic trick right at the start for the audience in the cinema to join in on) - and I was always interested in where it was going, for me it just ran out of steam badly by the end. It's worth avoiding the trailers if that's not too late because there are some late twists and turns that for some reason they spell out in the trailer quite badly.

• 1 month later...

We watched this last night, and really my reaction is similar to everyone else. It's quite an enjoyable watch and did enough to hold my interest throughout. The first 2 thirds of the film are actually pretty good. Unfortunately the final third lets it down a bit.
The twists were a bit too obvious, especially since every character seems to drum points into you and the resolution is a bit disappointing.

I thought the film peaked at the second show, which was really well done.
It seemed to promise something big for the third show so I was disappointed when nothing really happened and they just ended up running away. After all the buildup it just felt so anti-climactic.

On the whole it's a decent watch. It's worth going on a Orange Wednesday but I wouldn't say it's worth paying full price to see.

I wrote a far-too-long post about how this deals with magic and how that ties in with special effects. I guess it got into my head?

http://lapsedgamer.tumblr.com/post/55109026309/now-you-see-me

Despite what I wrote, it's a pretty good heist movie. With a lesser cast it would've been a disaster but they keep it light and fun. It just didn't really come together.

• 1 month later...

I wrote a far-too-long post about how this deals with magic and how that ties in with special effects. I guess it got into my head?

Despite what I wrote, it's a pretty good heist movie. With a lesser cast it would've been a disaster but they keep it light and fun. It just didn't really come together.

a bunch of rubber actuated with wires and than flesh animated with muscles

pardon?

anyway, they've announced a sequel. Did you know that?

Will it spoiler the film if I read it?

watched it last night -I really enjoyed the majority of the film and time flew by. Probably my favorite film that isn't a sequel of the summer even.

However, not so keen on how it ended and perhaps having such a big cast meant characters only had so much screen presence.

Yeah, the trailers are terrible for that. I didn't see them until after the film but they ruin a good chunk of it for very little value. Basically the trailer should have been "Magicians rob banks" - that's everybody sold on the idea- rather than giving away stuff (and one pretty big twist) that happens later in the film.