IGNORED

House of Cards (US) (Netflix)

hub2

I'm 5 or 6 in, here's what I think is going to happen (big hairy post-election spoilers);

Spoiler

Frank gets pumped out but Claire becomes VP to President SexyYoungGuy. They engineer him going off the deep end with PTSD. Claire becomes president and they wrangle Frank back in as her VP. Doug looks concerned and talks softly.

Season 4 Spoilers

Spoiler

SexyYoungGuy's chubby pal runs a facebook style social network, they were using all the user data generated on it to help them target voters (ie lots of people like dogs, lets do a speech about how dogs are cool). Frank's mob went one better by doing the same thing using all the surveillance data the NSA gathers while fighting terrorism

Season 5 ep 1

Spoiler

Now that the NSA have taken over Underwood's data operation their computer guy had to get into the NSA's network to cover his tracks. I *think* the scene with the waterfall pictures was him looking for their records of unfixed exploits they can use for hacking social networks etc. Or for hacking the NHS, as happened in the RL recently.

On 3/5/2017 at 19:48, Butters said:

I was the same until about three weeks after watching the latest season!

MIND BLOWN! What a great actor, loved him in Boardwalk Empire, but the beard totally threw me off in HoC.

I'm three episodes into S5. It seems to be a massive step up in quality. It seems much tighter in pacing than the last three series, with the silliness removed, it seems a lot more grounded in reality now. Really enjoying it so far.

Doug still fucking way above his league, how does the bald alkie do it?

Who was her husband? I'm finding it hard to keep track of all the characters now, there must be hundreds of them.

I have to keep checking the wiki as they are mentioning characters from the first series that I've totally forgotten.

Finished. Last few episodes got a bit silly. There were about 5 or 6 lines that I thought were really cheesy and out of place. It reminded me of earlier series, but thoroughly enjoyed it over all. Esp the first half. 

Think that would be a really good place to finish the whole series but I believe they've signed up for another 2 iirc?

yeah, towards the end it took a proper trip to crazytown but I enjoyed it, lots of great performances

big hairy-balls spoilers

Spoiler

Poor Tom

I really liked GovernerSwedishman going loopy, I hope he comes back at some point

I died laughing when Big Frank pushed the Secretary of State down the stairs

The new 'International Trade' woman is great, scary and weirdly sexy

I think they wasted Claire's first 'turn to camera' by doing it as a somewhat throwaway moment in the middle of a random episode, took some of the impact out of the last line of the season.

3 minutes ago, _Pow_ said:

yeah, towards the end it took a proper trip to crazytown but I enjoyed it, lots of great performances

big hairy-balls spoilers

Hide contents

I think they wasted Claire's first 'turn to camera' by doing it as a somewhat throwaway moment in the middle of a random episode, took some of the impact out of the last line of the season.

Spoiler

It wasn't her first, was it? I can't remember what was said, but didn't she do it with Frank before?

Really enjoyed the first half of the season but after the election plot finished I feel the show has been slightly aimless and hard going.  I think I'm on episode 12 now but the last few episodes have been a slog and I think it would have really benefited from being condensed to 10 episodes.  In fairness, I've always felt the show has run out of steam around episode 9/10 in previous seasons and those extra few episodes to make 13 are unnecessary.  

It hasn't helped that Frank was rather cunning early on in the season but the current problems are almost entirely of his own making and he would have been much better served by listening to the advice he was given rather than following his own advice.  Which isn't exactly ideal hen part of the fun of the show to seeing how Frank is always two steps ahead of everyone else. 

Spoiler

I thought it turned out that he totally was manipulating everything, including scary - yet strangely sexy - international trade woman. In order to get Clare in the WH?

End of S5 spoiler.

I found it a bit odd that Pres Kev managed to get away with pushing Cathy down the stairs without anyone apparently being suspicious, or it being seen on the CCTV, or Cathy herself saying anything. Actually, did she survive the fall? I don't think they ever followed up on her condition, at least not that I can remember anyway. TBH, the last couple of episodes seemed hugely rushed, with loads of plot points being shoved our way in quick scenes as compared to the more evenly paced episodes that preceded them. Still loved it though; Robin Wright is amazing, both as actor and director.

16 hours ago, Danster said:
  Hide contents

I thought it turned out that he totally was manipulating everything, including scary - yet strangely sexy - international trade woman. In order to get Clare in the WH?

End of S5 spoiler.

Yes, finished it last night and the final episode does, in its own way, tie up some of my earlier concerns about the story.  Still, seems a bit 'convenient' the way everything was revealed and not sure if it makes much logically sense in the grand scheme.  But a decent ending to a good season which got a bit lost for the final third before finishing on a high. 

I enjoyed it mostly, but I felt they dragged the election out too long, and I was getting a bit bored of the answer being to push people downstairs or just simply kill them. That's pretty much lost any shock factor now, and it just makes it feel a bit cheaper than when they were properly being sneaky to solve issues.

I thought the election result storyline was dreadful. Not helped with the direction they went with his rival and his mental health. That and two characters having an affair who have no sexual chemistry between them what so ever just sucking the will to live out of you every time they have a seen together. Although that pretty much stood for every scene with Thomas in it. 

The entire series felt really clumsy and contrived to me. It lacked any class or sophistication. It was attempting to be clever and failing at every turn. It felt to me like it jumped the shark from the off and then went on a shark jumping expedition.

The worst episodes of The West Wing piss all over this in terms of how to do political drama.

I have to admit I have never seen The West Wing, but have seen nearly everything else Sorkin has done.

I really enjoyed the election, it felt more serious in tone, and therefore a lot more believable than the show has been in a long time. Then they fucked all that good will in the bin when they dumped his opponent from the plot.

I was gripped by this season but felt it had it's real shark-jumping moment in the first moments of the finale. And who is this weird Syria-expert woman? It's like someone decided to write in Doctor Who.There was a bit when she was in her glowing meditation chamber when I actually expected her to disappear.

Spoiler

Frank's puppet master reveal seemed a bit......TADA! Unless I missed it I don't think we actually saw him pulling any of those strings to make that happen. We thought it was more just him making something up to reveal how important it is for him to be 'more powerful' - though the introduction of the middle east woman who can kill anyone did make it seem he was justified in saying the true power was elsewhere, and the focus on those two king makers throughout the show. Still enjoyed it, but going a bit mad now. Really enjoyed the new bloke political adviser, impossible to read.