rllmuk
davejm

Mass Effect Andromeda

This is such a curious game in some respects.  Last night I had 3 "soft" freezes (i.e lockups without all that juddering vibration which usually accompanies them) in quick succession; I've had doors refusing to open, difficulties in getting the interact cue or with the party members being very distant from the conversation once achieved, difficulties with chests being "sunk" into scenery etc etc etc

And yet, when in the NuMako with two companions of choice chatting away, hurtling around planets whilst stopping off from time to time to investigate something or to simply kill kett or remnant, it's just so damn enjoyable.  

On 04/04/2017 at 11:49, Captain LeChuck said:

Will say, though, I'm surprised more people haven't pointed out the really glaring plot hole. It still pisses me off when I think about it. 

Hide contents

The games makes a really big thing about going to Aya, and making first contact with the Angara. In turn the Angarans make a big thing about that moment being the first contact with alien life after the Kett. They even have display in Aya's museum dedicated to it.

But it's all utter bollocks. Sloane Kelly and the exiles had settled at Kadara port months prior to the Hyperion even arriving at the Nexus. The exiles successfully defended the Angarans at Kadara port from the Kett. First contact had already happened. Rendering everything on Aya regarding first contact a complete sham.

This smacks of one group of writers doing Kadara, and another doing the main story, with the director then putting everything together and not seeing the obvious problem. I can only assume because of sheer idiocy. 

I suppose in the grand scheme of things it's not major. But it still fucks me off. For a game series that prides itself on its level of storytelling, that's a fucking whopper.

I don't know if this helps, but Paraan Shie, Governor of Aya tells you...

they didn't realise that the Exiles and the Initiative were the same, so they treated it as first contact.

The bugs definitely get progressively worse throughout the game, it's true. Only one which really pisses me off are random saves not loading...I think it's not the actual save, but something underneath the whole Origin gunning, as restarting the PC rectifies it every time.

In other news, and despite my plans of Vetra being my intended squeeze, Peebee ends up being...erm... 'the one'. I feel dirty ;)

10 hours ago, Captain LeChuck said:

I find Vetra to be rather boring, to be honest. 

No way.  Put her and Cora in the car and they will chatter away like no-one's business.  

I really can't warm to Liam at all though - so I haven't been chatting and haven't  received the personal quest "kiss off" segment.  

I think I'm on the verge of the final mission (team briefing).....

I have 3 sub quests which seem to be bugged :(, and several cases of freezing, particularly around the galaxy map and the strike team interface.

11 hours ago, JoeK said:

The bugs definitely get progressively worse throughout the game, it's true. Only one which really pisses me off are random saves not loading...I think it's not the actual save, but something underneath the whole Origin gunning, as restarting the PC rectifies it every time.

In other news, and despite my plans of Vetra being my intended squeeze, Peebee ends up being...erm... 'the one'. I feel dirty ;)

it gets worse but then it gets better. not always progressively worse. give it a bit of time. on the loading problem: you can also give it 3-4 mins or so. it will eventually load. it is not really stuck. just have your phone to hand for the waiting. I really wish they could get facial animations working though. it does detract from the experience. if this game had decent facial animations the story would be miles better. I just don't understand how "nonfunctional facial  animations" became a known shippable for a mass effect game. fucking hell.  

Fucking hell, the final mission run is bloody awesome! 

Also where it would appear all the budget went on facial animation :P

Had to switch off lest I overload with excitement :D

• Upvote 1

Just finished the novel this afternoon, "Nexus Uprising".  It wasn't brilliant, but was light bedtime reading to complement the game.  Coincided with my first visit to Kadara, so it was nice to put a face to the name and have that backstory on the exiles.

I'm also rather liking all this 'after the credits roll' stuff...

Definitely an impressive way to carry on playing.

EDIT:

Final thoughts are that I genuinely enjoyed this game as much as the previous ones! I feel terribly sorry for the folk put off by the admittedly ghastly first impressions this had, but the game's so damn huge, for all the bugs and crappy animations etc there's so much here they got right. The landscapes and that feeling of wonder and awe that I got from the original trilogy is here - probably even more so in many ways.  It doesn't have as good a story as those ones - but they were always pointing you to the inevitable end. Andromeda just opens up and introduces the world in a way I absolutely loved. 

I hope they do the DLC right - that's if they do DLC at all of course. The ending of this game has become an absolutely brilliant stepping stone to add tales all over the place, whilst keeping those bigger mysteries open for the sequel...I'm going to hope that it's done the business enough for them to do a sequel....who knows.

Honestly, it was a fucking great game and I've just signed off on my first playthrough with movie night...perfect :D

• Upvote 2

I finished the main story! 

I'll be honest, I did rush to the end a bit in the final couple of missions, as I took my time for a good amount of the game but was finding myself getting bored. I enjoyed it though, I have have a fair mount of side things left to do, but for now, I'm done. I will go back when some DLC comes out, play that and finish up some of the other stuff.

My overall feelings are good though, It definitely felt like mass effect but I also feel a bit like I did at he end of DA Inquisition..... There's a lot of stuff there, but wasn't presented as well as it could have been. I am quite excited for more adventures in Andromeda whether it's from DLC or a sequel I just hope for more polish and quality over quantity.  Everything is left so open ended, anything can happen.

Now, I'm playing Jade Empire on my tab... oooh yes!

My game has got extremely buggy all of a sudden - can't seem to play for more than a few minutes before a soft freeze :(  .

Anyone else have the annoying SAM bug where it insists you have new email even when you don't?

2 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yes, I have the email bug. It's annoying. While on the subject of email, why can't I just use my fucking Omni-tool? 

That's a thing which constantly bugs me...

Also - why are the omni tools in Andromeda considerably less aesthetically pleasing than in the originals? They were really lovely.

quick question: do you guys ever find yourselves throwing imaginary biotic spears at your colleagues during meetings? you should try it sometime. it helps me get through the day.

• Upvote 1

Been away for a week else would have fixed the previous post y'all lost your shit over despite nothing properly plot revealing being in - shit like that, wanting to turn threads into goddamn CIA documents, whining about trivial stuff is why I near enough gave up on this place and the negative reaction to something as innocuous as that post (KALLO SAID SOMETHING FUNNY AT THE END, OH NO DON'T TELL ANYONE!)  just affirms that this board is probably no longer for me.

Mass Effect Andromeda is sadly flawed in parts but I truly, honestly believe if you have any love for the series, you will find that - after that interminable opening act - it is an enjoyable experience and most definitely not the abomination and worst in the series some would have you believe. And Ryder is something of a delight as protags in these things go. If they can pull off the kind of jump in quality between the first and second games here as they did with the opening trilogy, then we could be in for something truly spectacular in a few years.

Peace and love and farewell, y'all. Enjoy exploring the final frontier. Mods - delete the account, yo. I'm done here.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Polygon: Dear Bioware, stop making open world games

Dear BioWare: We need to have a talk.

You've been doing a really good job of listening to people, as the latest Andromeda patch proves. But instead of minor complaints like "dear god, that face is hideous" or "this character is written poorly," this one's philosophical: BioWare, it's time for you to stop with the open-world experiment.

Your games have gotten worse because of it, and there's no reason to expect them to get better again. I'm sure you've seen the Mass Effect: Andromeda reviews. They’re the worst you've gotten for a major role-playing game, well, ever. While Dragon Age: Inquisition seemed to do well, that success was much more in spite of its open-world than because of it.

And I get that Skyrim sold a ton of copies, and The Witcher 3 won a ridiculous number of awards. But those aren't your games. They aren't your style of games, and chasing them isn't a good look. You've gone from "best games ever" to "I guess I'll play that when I have the time." Is that really what you want?

It's true, all of it.

• Upvote 1

how did people end up feeling about the vaults? I know they were getting negative comments here early on. I fucking love them. I just love mysteries in games. @RubberJohnny I would personally argue that witcher 3 is also good despite it being an open world game and not because of it. I think that game would work better with a tighter narrative and less random wondering. fuck open world games to be honest. I am fucking done with them! Ubisoft I'm done! please delete my account. ;)

• Upvote 1

Thing is though, that clearly the success of Inquisition led Bioware towards that similar path. There's a whole load of people who enjoyed it and I include myself in that mix. 

With Andromeda, they still got the story, they added a thoroughly decent Mako replacement ad they given us a whole load of discovering to do. Yeah, there are oodles of collectathon missions there, but they're not in an way necessary to complete the game.

Quite honestly, Bioware are in the 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' situation.

i guess we'll see how the sales have gone and see what path they take wth the next one...

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Thing is though, that clearly the success of Inquisition led Bioware towards that similar path. There's a whole load of people who enjoyed it and I include myself in that mix. 

With Andromeda, they still got the story, they added a thoroughly decent Mako replacement ad they given us a whole load of discovering to do. Yeah, there are oodles of collectathon missions there, but they're not in an way necessary to complete the game.

Quite honestly, Bioware are in the 'damned if they do, damned if they don't' situation.

i guess we'll see how the sales have gone and see what path they take wth the next one...

It's true, all of it.

• Upvote 1