rllmuk
davejm

Mass Effect Andromeda

6 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Yes, if it's getting too frustrating. 

No problems here with the engineer build - steathed sniping with the Black Widow takes the orbs down very quickly leaving the team (always including one biotic) free to wreck havoc (as well as my trusty turret which if anything is too durable these days).    I was going to dabble in some biotic powers but given that most of the tech passives gain power dependent on the total # of points invested in that area, it doesn't seem particularly worthwhile for this play through..

Still haven't found an ideal shotgun though.

I've put some points in Combat (Pistol, AR trees and Combat for Shields/Heath/Extra Guns).

It's the same bonus (if you've got the ability unlocked) for sheilds - i.e. 1 point in biotics will get get 1% shields, 1 point in combat will get 1% shields (made up ratio)

As you say though so many other passives scale that it feels wasted (IIRC Combos, Power, Force, Recharge and Shield Restore) to put many more points in anywhere other than biotics (although I'll be maxed in there soon!)

Also taking Peebee everywhere now as one of her skills reads like it boosts player biotics too :D

15 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

N7 Piranha. Full auto, 10 in the clip, decent damage per shot. It's definitely my favourite for when getting up close and personal. 

Cheers - tried that other one which looks like if fires a fireball, and also one of the remnant ones simply to use up some of the research points available there.

14 minutes ago, Oz said:

are you playing on hard?

No, only on normal for this run, but with the same load out I would use the same approach - and probably also have Drack and Cora/Peebee with me most of the time. 

I ended up running with two shotguns, the Piranha because it's hilarious and the Dhan shotgun with Plasma seeking rounds which turns it into a disgustingly powerful fire and forget midrange weapon.

I think the main thing I've been missing with my hardcore run (as my first run) is that at this level of difficulty the game expects you to engage with all the systems. you need to mine for resources, research stuff, craft, buy, sell, visit places and explore. if you try to move too quickly forward you will run into these balancing problems.

the game does not really tell you when you are the right level or whether your equipment is right for the mission. nor is there any indication of the order in which the missions should be approached. this would not be a problem in itself if the game scaled well. but it doesn't.

combine that with the fact there is poor check-pointing, the game is broken in spots, and certain encounters were just not tested and balanced properly. you will run into situations like I did in my earlier video. where the mission is easy enough that you can get 30 minutes into it only to run into an incredibly frustrating or broken part of it.

that previous statement reminds me of another game I beta tested with @Captain LeChuckand others for a year: Destiny!

I have spent more time mining and doing other shit. and got me some upgraded weapons. seems like I am back on track. I will report back later. but to sum up. if you are doing a hardcore run. you need to do a bit of everything in the game or expect to have some incredibly boring and frustrating encounters. 

Reminds me when people would post horror stories about playing the original on Insanity and it sounded like the most miserable, unfun load of bobbins imaginable, pinging away at Geth Primes, or Krogan Battlemasters with near perma immunity on. I find life's too short such nonsense.

• Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, Oz said:

I have spent more time mining and doing other shit. and got me some upgraded weapons. seems like I am back on track. I will report back later. but to sum up. if you are doing a hardcore run. you need to do a bit of everything in the game or expect to have some incredibly boring and frustrating encounters. 

Indeed - exactly the same as with Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition - you can waltz through those on normal difficulty but if you're dialling up the difficulty you will want to make full use of oils, signs, crafting, team composition and anything else which gives you an edge.

Weird I didn't seem to have any problems on Hard, NG+ on insanity seems a little easy at this point as well. 

A crafted Dhan shotgun with replenish shields when the clip is empty thingy and then mods that reduce clip capacity to 1 shot is kinda silly to be honest. 

check this out. this outcast had developed the ability to clone himself. I killed him 10 times. also the game now takes ages to load. not sure what's going on. overall this will kill the franchise for me at this rate. 

9 minutes ago, Oz said:

check this out. this outcast had developed the ability to clone himself.

Not the first time it's happened.

Outkast_Hey_Ya.jpg

• Upvote 4

Sad PC tech gripe here, but why in god's name did they think that having a Resolution scale setting automatically defaulting to something like 1080p was a good idea?

I've been playing the game for hours wondering why things looked everso slightly blurry on my screen :P .

Things have all of a sudden become rather better defined now!

13 hours ago, Oz said:

you really need to see this to believe it. I am just struggling editing the video on my PC. we are talking a good 30 minutes of firing. the entire team plus a droid I deployed. I used all bullets in the encounter just running back and forth to get more. I must have just been under-levelled but had no problem until then on the mission so its weird. also not the only time its happened. I could feel my mood changing as it slowly sunk in that this game is broken. it is utterly broken man. as is my heart. :(

Excuse the horrible play - I was so excited to see an enemy to record - but here's a similar boss with 200 points in biotics (normal)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Wow, started NG+ with the stock Sara Ryder. She definitely looks better now, but the biggest difference I've noticed is Addison. That first conversation with her is immeasurably better. Honestly, it's so much better.

She still says 'less' instead of 'fewer' after correcting your grammar, so she's still a twat. But now she's a far more believable twat.

Tann now sticks out as the worst voiced NPC in the history of voice acting. He is never anything other than utterly terrible. 

While on the subject of voice acting. Remember they put out a call for a fan to voice the vidmaker? That role ended up going to an actress with multiple credits on IMDB. So what was the point in people (such as myself) uploading auditions to YouTube? Thanks for nothing, Bioware. :rolleyes:

Maybe they'll patch you in. This is a work in progress you know.

• Upvote 2

I must say I like it again. I have just gotten a lot better at the combat, and understand the systems a bit better. Plus I finally have good weapons that I like using. It has made a huge difference. Game still breaks enough that I find myself constantly disappointed nonetheless.

6 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Weird I didn't seem to have any problems on Hard

A crafted Dhan shotgun with replenish shields when the clip is empty thingy and then mods that reduce clip capacity to 1 shot is kinda silly to be honest. 

Ditto on both counts. Infiltrator build with black widow and dhan combo was very satisfying throughout, particularly when modded to take advantage of their tiny clips. I realised early that individual toughs were the real danger on hard rather than hordes of mobs, hence a build focussing on dealing with heavies rather than crowd clearance. I tried a fully upgraded and modded assault rifle at the end out of curiosity, and it was just hilariously useless by comparison. 

9 hours ago, Wiper said:

Ditto on both counts. Infiltrator build with black widow and dhan combo was very satisfying throughout, particularly when modded to take advantage of their tiny clips. I realised early that individual toughs were the real danger on hard rather than hordes of mobs, hence a build focussing on dealing with heavies rather than crowd clearance. I tried a fully upgraded and modded assault rifle at the end out of curiosity, and it was just hilariously useless by comparison. 

think they just balanced that kind of boss in a way that my build basically had nothing that would damage it. I have changed my build and finally spend time mining for resources. I think the game really expects you to do that. I had a bunch of blueprints that I could not develop due to lack of resources. all of the sudden I could craft a bunch of crap. I have weapons that do more damage now and my build is more mixed rather than pure biotic. I think that was the problem. but I also suck at games. so maybe it was that instead. :D

Spoiler

I'd done all my loyalty missions bar Liam, refused the Kett kill switch from the other Kett bigwig, didn't kill the Roekaar guy, convinced Sarrisa (sp?) to carry on and earn the Asari trust back after telling her she made the right choice but still dobbed her in. Convinced the Turian Pathfinder replacement to carry on, saved the Salarian one (sacrificed the Krogan scouts) and 100% viable and colonies on all available worlds. Also saved Sloane from the sniper and shot Reyes.

Sure some of them must have affected whether Dunn lives or dies if she died for you and lived for me and drth.

*edit* unless nothing matters and the game did that to you because it knows you're ginger.

• Upvote 1

Re: Ending Chat

Spoiler

I don't think seatbelts would help much anyway as you're not really supposed to slam capital ships into huge, stationary objects. A magical all absorbing mass effect biotic field, on the other hand, is a somewhat different story.

I was really glad about that actually, as the captain snuffing it was the one thing that I managed to read somewhere so when she didn't, I was all "wooooo!"

So what decisions did y'all rack up in the end then? I had:

• Sloane still in charge of Kadara but Reyes is out there in hiding somewhere (don't know if taking the shoot option kills him or not) and was just about always open to reconciling with the Exiles because "it's hard to calculate how few fucks I give about Tann's opinion"
  • Destroyed the Exaltation facility
  • Saved the Krogan scouts over the Salarian pathfinder. My reasoning was that so far, all the other pathfinders have died and their replacements seem to be okay so what's losing one more over saving several other guys. Plus I didn't want any more exalted Krogans running around, screw that noise.
  • Didn't let Drack kill that pirate dude but did exile Spender so he could go after him at some point, and teamed up with Morda so the Krogan are in a really nice position back onside with the Nexus now. I'm also godmother to Kesh's kids, which is a terrifying thought.
  • Held off shooting Asakuul, despite wanting to. Supergoon failson Jaal was pleased, despite getting shot in the face.
  • Spared Angaran GLaDOS and gave her back to them. She's contained on Aya but I get the feeling she could cause some serious shit down the line.
  • Coldly shot Pelessaria's arsehole ex, so we were able to retrieve the Remnant data core instead of waste time saving her instead. Feel kinda bad about that, it was another one of those heat of the moment things.
  • Exposed the new Asari Pathfinder but still recommended her for the job because hey, we all fuck up sometimes. Looks like that might be what saved Captain Dunn in the crash as she does have beast shields. Convinced the Turian Spectre to become their new Pathfinder as well.
  • Made the Moshae the Nexus Ambassador as it is the Angaran's home cluster, we are the guests and should be as respectful as possible. There must be no frickin' Cortés and the Conquistadors shit here. Like I said, gotta full on Captain Picard this.

I was respectful, diplomatic, rational and generally mega friendly and helpful to everyone open to it this time round, albeit kind of impulsive and prone to making the odd bad decision in particularly heated moments. Which brings me to the big one.

I MADE THE DEAL. And I know that bitch is going to cause no end of fucking trouble if there's a follow up/expansion. Drack was really against it, Vetra and I were both trying to think practical in a 'enemy of my enemy' kind of way. She kept up her end but yeah. She's bad news.

In short, lots of good work and one little spur of the moment decision made in the arse end of Eos is probably going to bite Sara in the arse so hard, she'll never be able to sit down again.

• Upvote 1

In my defence, I would say there were times I channelled the young and impulsive, devil may care, get stabbed in the back through the frickin' heart Picard instead of smart, thoughtful old man Picard.

Re: the other thing - hmmm. Actually, now that you say that, I can see the sense in how it might work:

Spoiler

Sarissa needs time and focus to pull off the barrier around the Hyperion's command deck, luckily the Spectre shows up in his Turian X-Wing providing covering fire keeping bad guys off the Kodiak while she builds up to it. Kind of hard to do if the other guy isn't around and you're in a getting flung around everywhere while your pilot tries to keep from being blown up...

Not sure where the Salarian Pathfinder fits in though, I just remember him hanging out of a Kodiak shooting a rifle at one point. Can't imagine he was much help!

Probably could have been depicted clearer but I think that's probably it.

I had the same outcome as you, @Captain LeChuck.

I wasn't too disappointed, I actually thought (ending spoiler)

Dunn going down with her ship was pretty ace, and there was a nice memorial for her.

I'm glad I didn't know how those things affected the end as they all felt like the right choices at the time.

PeeBee is the fucking best.

• Upvote 1

LIked the ending - not quite as epic as ME1 or as personal as ME2, but a much better climax tha ME3 (even before that last choice)

Can't see myself replaying since I did most thing (91% complete) - but well up for some DLC. Said it before but adore my Ryger

End spoilers

It was a bit hard to follow all the coming and going in the last mission - so many turned up to help. (Sloane, Krogan, Pathfinders, Kandros, Salarian STG man) but felt climatic. Liked how the entire team was in the last "boss" battle.

I had a chat with Primus ealier about her being another faction and offering to help - but never seemed to get any pay off from it. Certainly not the choice some of you did.

• Generally jovial, helpful, optimistic and truthful
  • Didn't destroy Exhaltattion facility. Still killed boss,
  • Killed Angaran AI. Didn't seem any consequenc (so far?)
  • Told Sis turth about Dad. She liked the time to process it
  • Told turth about Asari Pathfinder, but let her stay in role (So she could Save Dunn?)
  • Saved Krogan. Liked the Salaran pathfinder, but pathfinders get replaced no fuss. (Hyjar turned out to be great)
  • Worked with Morda
  • Didn;t shoot Roekar leader
  • Saved Sloane - would have been ok with 1 on 1 fight, but cheating was a no-no. Didn't shoot Reyes so he's still out there
  • Didn't romance anyone :(
  • Hosted Movie night
  • Saved Kalinda. (Or more accurately didn't shoot her in the back)
  • Pick Moshae as ambassador. Angara need a voice.

Satisying own story with plenty of room for other questions to be answered later (very ME1 :P)

Can I just add that I really loved that moment on the last mission where all hell's breaking loose in space around the Tempest and Sara on the bridge goes:

"KALLO! How close can you get us to the Scourge?"

"Um...too close?"

It's just the way Kallo's VA and model combine to say it, followed by his ridiculously happy grin after he pulls it off.

Going through the screenies folder, and I got one of the Archon with a surprisingly good trollface:

58e934591db60_MassEffect_Andromeda_20170406204610.thumb.jpg.358d5c303e3cdc55ddb75a3342585ad5.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4