rllmuk
davejm

Mass Effect Andromeda

everything looks a bit different. not sure what it is or if its all in my head though. need digital foundry to chip in but they are probably too busy selling out to Microsoft for the Scorpio reveal. boom!

3 minutes ago, Scruff said:

So they've basically 'un-Essex'd' her.

she's finally rested her face. lol

• Upvote 1

I finished this last night at around 90% done with some filler quests left to do.

It obviously has its issues (my PS4 has never crashed so often) and once or twice it felt like a bit of slog but overall I throughly enjoyed it. I warmed to all the team which surprised me but played almost all the game with Drack because he's the bestest! The combat was excellent with lots of chances to feel like bringer of death rather than a Pathfinder ... which Drack approved of.

I thought the big team moments were done well and the final mission was a good end game payoff.

I've only played ME2 & 3 to completion and whilst they are very different games I definitely enjoyed this more than 3.

I'm certainly keen for some dlc and to see what they do next.

• Upvote 3

And that's that. Worst Game of All Time, All Involved Must Suffer A Thousand Torments, etc.

Need to digest properly but honestly? The first game has the best story and a finale better than most games in their entirety but plays like a dog, the second has the best cast and overall experience, the third has the best combat/mechanics but - Tuchanka apart - is a largely joyless and disjointed chore. Andromeda just has to make do with being the second best in most areas, which puts it behind ME2 as the best in the series. It's a buggy, unoptimised mess at times, that first act is woeful, the glacial pace of the galaxy map is infuriating (admittedly, pretty tho) and all those fetch quests are lame as but it picks up, builds momentum, the characters grow into their roles and actually shine, and its themes on the importance of family, community, hope and optimism are, frankly, something of a godsend in these miserable, cynical times. That final section, everything coming together as it does, was a delight. And to repeat what I said earlier, Sara Ryder is as good a player character as they've ever done, the Tempest gang feel like a proper family in the grand old Star Trek tradition, much more so than the Normandy. Hopefully most of them will stick around on board in some form if there's a continuation.

(I'd also suggest the subtext of the recurring instances of new, inexperienced and unprepared 3rd and 4th rate understudies having to step up and take the reins in the absence of leaders and visionaries in situations where they are totally in over their head and out of their depth is hilariously apt, and on the nose)

I can totally understand someone not feeling inclined to carry on after those first few hours, especially with all the technical issues but in the end, I only enjoyed ME2 more.

They really need to bring back Jack Wall and Sam Hulick back though as the music was - main theme apart - utterly unmemorable. Criminally so.

Anyway, here's to the finest crew in Heleus. It was a rocky road but they got there in the end.

Spoiler

58e6b865ae22b_MassEffect_Andromeda_20170406194702.thumb.jpg.3b6b05627b92e83c80a569f148532e09.jpg

• Upvote 4

We're currently building a consensus but it seems generally everybody comes to the same conclusion, those first 10 hours in the trial were fucking awful but after that it really starts to build into something great and by the last act you're in full on classic Mass Effect mode, the Crew are great especially the Player character Ryder and your Krogan buddy Drack.

Not sure about anywhere else but I can't imagine it being any different really.

• Upvote 1

I just started my new game plus on insanity as Scott, around 9 hours in and I feel like I'm cheating on Sara, she's pretty fucking awesome but that's just me but my FemShep was by far my favourite of the 2 for the OT. 

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

I see that the patches are frequent for this - is it worth waiting a few months for it to be properly QA'd?

I am really thinking about waiting. It's not even QA they are literally finishing the game. this latest patch improves the face and eyes of character models for fucks sake. I have been playing on hardcore and can safely say the game is basically broken in terms of progression. I often find myself hitting a boss fight that takes about 45 minutes of shooting at a boss that doesn't move.

• Upvote 1

Fair enough, there's enough other good stuff out there at the moment too.

Shocking that people are willing to purchase a product that's unfinished.

17 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Fair enough, there's enough other good stuff out there at the moment too.

The audacity of hope. I was hoping it was broken in ways that would still allow me to enjoy the universe I love. But I have learnt some hard truths. Video incoming.

16 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Absolutely shocking that fans of the series would buy this over games, however technically perfect they may be, they simply have no interest in (or even access to).

I'm having a ball, but my 50% completion stat looks off - I have only the HXXXXX planet still to visit.

1 minute ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Indeed, that's clearly never happened before with other games. :coffee:

While this clearly could have done with a few more months testing and polishing (blame EA for pushing it out in time to make the financial year sales figures), that's a little insulting to those of us who have bought and enjoyed the game. Many won't have played the trial, and will have gone in deliberately blind to avoid spoilers. Others (Gorf King for example) played the trial and decided to not buy, fair enough. But then there are people like me, who played the trial and hated it, but was too much of a fan off-the-wall series to not give it a chance, and then loved it in spite of its faults. I've been very critical of the game instead thread, but it's still a really good Mass Effect game.

I trusted my heart and bought the game, despite my head telling me not to. I made the right choice.

Are you playing on normal lechuck? I may break my one rule and bring it down. The game is fighting me. It's not even hard it's just broken.

1 hour ago, Mentazm said:

Installed this yesterday. Should i play as male or female? Made the mistake of going male Shep in the first trilogy.

I didn't have as big a problem with MShep as others, but I really like MRyder.

I'm sure I read that both are strong, with neither being a stand out. I think I also saw that "Default Sarah" has slightly worse face issues...

Everything done now but what I think is the final mission - gotta do a quick run around to talk to everyone.

Ryder Family Secrets - Mum being on the Ark wasn't a huge surprise, but the clear spelling out of "Milky Way gone bye bye" was unexpected. I thought they'd hint at it...but did they also make "Reject Star Child" the canon ending if the Milky Way has gone silent?

Jardann vs "the opposition" is an interesting set up - wonder if they'll be answers in last mission or if that's a hook for sequels/DLC

I thought we'd end up activating FauxMeridan and then Archon would take it over - so was nice we held it and drove the Kett off. Wish I'd took Jaarl on the mission though.

Lovely round off with crew as well. Peebee committing to the team. Cora setting out her own path. Vetra going climbing with me and talking. Drack's message about parents/kids (he's going to die, isn't he :). Jaarl's great "meet the family" and showing off his room....and...um...Liam playing football. He's the worst.

Speaking of. Looking like I'm not having a Space Romance. Gil sprung a kiss on me, then 5 seconds before meeting his friend said "Are we 'boyfriends' or 'friends'? Quick Decide!!!!!" Dick move under pressure. Not wanting to be bfs under pressure has shut down his potential romance...but he's still going on about bloody kids and how's he's going to be a dad now (wtf would have happened if I'd said yes to his insane ultimatium!!!!) Very very disappointing

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yeah, I played on normal. I can imagine playing on the higher difficulties being really shit, because some enemies, like the fiends, are just big fat bullet sponges. Fiends are the least fun to fight, because all they do is charge at you, fighting them makes for tedious battles of attrition. That Krogan mission where you fight three of them was utter shite. 

you really need to see this to believe it. I am just struggling editing the video on my PC. we are talking a good 30 minutes of firing. the entire team plus a droid I deployed. I used all bullets in the encounter just running back and forth to get more. I must have just been under-levelled but had no problem until then on the mission so its weird. also not the only time its happened. I could feel my mood changing as it slowly sunk in that this game is broken. it is utterly broken man. as is my heart. :( EDIT: here is a bit of it so you guys know what I am up against. but please note this is basically unedited so when you get the point you should stop watching.

• Upvote 1

My favourite bit was the Giant Bomb Quick Look where they played one mission and the mission bugged so you couldn't complete it.

Inexcusable - people shouldn't be supporting this kind of shit with their money.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, Scruff said:

Well, you've got Liam with you.

Case closed. Next!

liam is my favourite. right after space sudoku. 

16 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Yeah, I played on normal. I can imagine playing on the higher difficulties being really shit, because some enemies, like the fiends, are just big fat bullet sponges. Fiends are the least fun to fight, because all they do is charge at you, fighting them makes for tedious battles of attrition. That Krogan mission where you fight three of them was utter shite. 

should I just take it down? whatcha think? 

10 minutes ago, Oz said:

you really need to see this to believe it. I am just struggling editing the video on my PC. we are talking a good 30 minutes of firing. the entire team plus a droid I deployed. I used all bullets in the encounter just running back and forth to get more. I must have just been under-levelled but had no problem until then on the mission so its weird. also not the only time its happened. I could feel my mood changing as it slowly sunk in that this game is broken. it is utterly broken man. as is my heart. :( EDIT: here is a bit of it so you guys know what I am up against. but please note this is basically unedited so when you get the point you should stop watching.

Oh that's odd watching PC smoothness coming from PS4.

You've got Liam and Cora there right? I'm not sure either of them have good abilities there (can either of them increase damage something takes or do heavy single hits?)

Can't see your abilities (pull and throw I think)

Try something heavier hitting (Sniper Rifle) or if you're Biotic a Weakpoint specked Lance on the Orbs.

My first few of those bosses were similar to you running frantically looking for more ammo (guns had been fine to that point) - but now I just Lance em. 2 hits for the orbs. (That's with like 200 points in Biotics on Normal though :P)

I wouldn't know on Insanity, but I found the N7 Hurricane an absolute beast at stripping the orb down on hard. You can get close enough to land nearly all your hits (extended mag, naturally) but you're far enough away to be able to dodge the main attack and the Valiant's one hit kill move.

I've said it before but priming them enemy types and using things that interrupt them is a great way to kill them. Incinerate - Lance/Charge/whatever to combo and then when they're doing their 'big box little box' rave hand waving, use throw or pull or another skill that stops them, and hopefully your primer has refreshed and you can do it again.

Re: The Milky Way

Spoiler

I don't think they have - or will - go with any ending in particular. Most likely the other end of whatever the arks/Nexus use to communicate with was destroyed in the war and whoever survived won't have known anything about the Initiative. Or assumed that they were all destroyed either in the war or en route to Andromeda.

I wasn't remotely interested in the status of the Quarian ark while playing, didn't miss them or the others at all but fair play, they found the one hook that's irresistible to me - not an SOS but a dire warning not to come after us? That's proper Alien/Event Horizon shit, I'm obviously gonna come looking for you now, you dopes.

That's a real shame, @Oz. Like LeChuck, I have no time or patience for bulletsponge nonsense so just played through on Normal and never really had any issues in combat apart from one encounter on Eos where a seemingly infinite number of Kett spawned to a point even Drack couldn't keep up. Had to dash inside their outpost, finish the quest and leg it in the Nomad with about a hundred of the bastards shooting away at us...

Other than that, the bugs I got were mild. Quest/Inventory/Codex not clearing the new item notification, Pelessaria dying on one mission and not reviving, then becoming invisible on the ship until a restart, helmets being perma on after the Turian ark mission, again until a restart.

6 minutes ago, Oz said:

If you are enjoying the combat on hard so far bar the mini bosses then as Hex said Just buy some Cobra's to deal with them.

More detailed patch notes from VG247

The most immediately noticeable changes is major improvements to Mass Effect Andromeda’s faces and animations, but there’s a lot more going on under the hood than the initial Mass Effect Andromeda 1.05 patch notes suggested.

As promised, BioWare has now coughed up the full patch notes pertaining to Mass Effect Andromeda’s mechanical balancing. This has most relevance to multiplayer, but the changes apply to single-player too.

Here’s a short summary. For starters, some of each enemy faction’s “heavy” units have been made more deadly. Hydras, Destroyers and Berserkers are now more likely to target nearby players, and Kett Anointed attacks will effect players standing close to them, too.

This puts a crimp in the current Mass Effect Andromeda meta of “punch everything”, as does a reduction in effectiveness of repeat melee attacks against large targets. Additionally, melee attacks can now be interrupted.

The Outlaw faction, Mass Effect Andromeda’s easy mode, has been souped up. Hydra sync attacks are now lethal, and Sharpshooters have had several tweaks to make them nastier foes.

It’s not all bad news, though; on the player side, assault rifles and pistols have been improved thanks to the elimination of a bug on semi-automatic weapons. Fixing this turned the Mattock into a nightmare beast, so its damage has been nerfed a little – but it has a bigger ammo stash to compensate. Most semi-automatic weapons have had their damage adjusted upwards slightly.

Two enemies have been nerfed, too: the Remnant Overseer and Nullifier have been tweaked to make them less annoying, although melee won’t work as well against Nullifiers any more

The full Mass Effect Andromeda multiplayer balancing update 1.05 patch notes are reproduced below.

Mass Effect Andromeda 1.05 patch notes – player abilities

Melee

To reduce the effectiveness of repeated melees against tougher enemies, player melee attacks can now be interrupted by enemy attacks.

Challenge Tracking

Biotic, Tech, and Combat Detonation Challenges now update on the Challenges screen.

Lance and Throw will now successfully increment the Biotic Detonation Combo challenge progress.

Stealth Grid

Fixed an issue that caused Stealth Grid to deactivate immediately after being used.

Biotic Ascension

Fixed an issue that prevented the Kineticist from gaining Biotic Ascension charges when not the host of the match.

Mass Effect Andromeda 1.05 patch notes – weapons balancing

Assault Rifles

Mattock

Fixed an issue that prevented the Mattock from reaching its designed rate of fire

Lowered damage per round to partially offset increase in rate of fire

Lowered damage per round from 71–89 to 50–63

Increased spare ammo capacity from 112–140 to 160–200

Sandstorm

Increased damage per round from 112–134 to 140–168

Sweeper

Increa

sed damage per round from 60–72 to 64–77

Valkyrie

Increased damage per round from 80–93 to 86–99

Halberd

Increased damage per round from 73–90 to 92–113

Pistols

Predator

The Predator also benefits from the rate of fire adjustment applied to the Mattock assault rifle.

Increased damage per round from 38–51 to 54–72

Decreased rate of fire from 500 to 450

Carnifex

Increased damage per round from 155–195 to 175–220

Hornet

Increased damage per round from 37–49 to 44–55

Phalanx

Increased damage per round from 106–113 to 133–142

Scorpion

Increased damage per round from 428–512 to 485–580

Shotguns

Hesh

Ammo increased from 40–50 to 60–75

Sniper Rifles

Shadow

Increased damage per round from 27–32 to 38–46

Indra

Increased damage per round from 84–101 to 105–126

Vanquisher

Fixed a bug that caused the Vanquisher to have an extra 100% headshot bonus

Weapon Reloads

Fixed some timings of reload actions so they better match their animations

Boosters

Assault Rifle Amp III

The Assault Rifle Amp III booster now properly states that it gives a 30% boost instead of a 35% boost. This was a text error only. The functionality was always 30%.

Mass Effect Andromeda 1.05 patch notes – enemies

Kett

Kett Anointed

Players can no longer avoid damage by standing up against a firing anointed

Kett Ascendant

Kett Ascendant’s Orb will now give 15 points when killed, instead of points equal to the Ascendant himself

Kett Behemoth (Boss objective)

Behemoths are more likely to target nearby players

Outlaws

Outlaw Adhi

Adhi no longer attempt to chain sync attacks

Outlaw Agent

Outlaw agent’s holographic clone will no longer give points

Outlaw Sharpshooter

Sharpshooters now fire more frequently, especially against targets out of cover

Sniper rifle damage increased by 44%

Sharpshooters sprint more often

Aiming time is now shortened at shorter ranges

Aiming and impact audio are now clearer

No longer pursue melee targets over long distances

Outlaw Berserker

Berserkers are more likely to target nearby players

Outlaw Hydra

Sync attack is now lethal

Hydra is more likely to target nearby players

Hydra now lose their target—but no longer cancel firing—when their target cloaks while locking on

Fixed situations where the hydra’s body would reappear after being destroyed

Remnant

Remnant Observer

Observers can now lose their target while firing when the target cloaks

Maximum beam duration decreased from 6s to 5s

Beam damage decreased by 10%

Remnant Nullifier

Rate of fire has been decreased against enemies in cover

Projectile attacks now travel faster and hit harder

Stays still and fires in more situations

No longer flees in protracted melee situations

[Single player only] Fires less frequently on lower difficulties

Remnant Destroyer

Destroyers are more likely to target nearby players

Fixed situations where the Destroyer’s body and turrets would reappear after being destroyed

30 minutes ago, Oz said:

Yes, if it's getting too frustrating. 

No problems here with the engineer build - steathed sniping with the Black Widow takes the orbs down very quickly leaving the team (always including one biotic) free to wreck havoc (as well as my trusty turret which if anything is too durable these days).    I was going to dabble in some biotic powers but given that most of the tech passives gain power dependent on the total # of points invested in that area, it doesn't seem particularly worthwhile for this play through..

Still haven't found an ideal shotgun though.

4 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Yes, if it's getting too frustrating. 

No problems here with the engineer build - steathed sniping with the Black Widow takes the orbs down very quickly leaving the team (always including one biotic) free to wreck havoc (as well as my trusty turret which if anything is too durable these days).    I was going to dabble in some biotic powers but given that most of the tech passives gain power dependent on the total # of points invested in that area, it doesn't seem particularly worthwhile for this play through..

Still haven't found an ideal shotgun though.

are you playing on hard?