rllmuk
davejm

Mass Effect Andromeda

Yeah, about the same time on the clock as me really. Everything's kind of just opened up in a colossal way and I'm now having to really work out what I want to do next...only got Eos with folk on it too...

Frostbite is a really odd engine though. There are part of this game which are comparable to anything I've seen this generation, only for me to have a conversation with two identical characters on the screen at the same time (one of which has had his legs sheared off by something!

However, the game's definitely put back the sense of discovery and wonder into Mass Effect and that's a commendable achievement.

11 hours ago, JoeK said:

Frostbite is a really odd engine though. There are part of this game which are comparable to anything I've seen this generation, only for me to have a conversation with two identical characters on the screen at the same time (one of which has had his legs sheared off by something!

However, the game's definitely put back the sense of discovery and wonder into Mass Effect and that's a commendable achievement.

Yes, there are all sorts of clunk with the interactions, whether with quest givers & conversations, or doors, but the underlying game is everything we could only have dreamed of back in the Mako.  There is so much going on here and each planet has a very different feel to it. Just zig zagging around opening up the map is wonderful, particularly where the environmental conditions are more extreme.  

I've reached a devil of a Sudoko puzzle :sherlock:

Cleared a couple of loyalty missions last night, both superb and have confirmed how much I enjoy some of the new crew.

The quality of this game's 'best bits' (for me, main missions, loyalty missions, main planetary stories) is incredibly high, as good if not better than the rest of the series. There's just a weird contrast between those bits and the filler content, like most of the tasks and the un-directed conversations.

I said to @Scruff the other night, if it's a 100 hour game, 50 hours are vintage Mass Effect, and the other 50 a mixture of content that some may enjoy and some may not. I enjoy it all, but would be lying if I said it was all top tier, the smaller missions and tasks can be a fun diversion but on their own would make an average game. The Nomad is a definite success.

I'm already looking forward to a second play as the other Ryder twin (biotic Sara), with a much more streamlined approach to the content, now I know what to expect (which I think @Captain LeChuck pointed out a few days ago).

The multiplayer is also superb.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Takizawa said:

Cleared a couple of loyalty missions last night, both superb and have confirmed how much I enjoy some of the new crew.

The quality of this game's 'best bits' (for me, main missions, loyalty missions, main planetary stories) is incredibly high, as good if not better than the rest of the series. There's just a weird contrast between those bits and the filler content, like most of the tasks and the un-directed conversations.

I said to @Scruff the other night, if it's a 100 hour game, 50 hours are vintage Mass Effect, and the other 50 a mixture of content that some may enjoy and some may not. I enjoy it all, but would be lying if I said it was all top tier, the smaller missions and tasks can be a fun diversion but on their own would make an average game. The Nomad is a definite success.

I'm already looking forward to a second play as the other Ryder twin (biotic Sara), with a much more streamlined approach to the content, now I know what to expect (which I think @Captain LeChuck pointed out a few days ago).

The multiplayer is also superb.

I've barely started the loyalty missions.  I had a chunk of main story content fairly recently, but most of my time has been on exploration - I enjoy the fact that the little things at the extremity of the maps are likely to go unnoticed by most (like the lads who were cultivating some plants for "medicinal purposes"), or the woman stranded in a random sinkhole.  The interactions between Initiative, Exiles, Angarans, Kett and Remnent are interesting with more to come no doubt. Scrambling around for the loot chests or the recovered memories.  

For a second play I will likely wait for the inevitable GOTY edition to go on sale & re-buy it digitally (this worked really well with DA:I).    That will be a male biotic run.

Still got to finish off Elaaden, Pelessaria's loyalty mission, and Addison's missing friend (it only took almost the entire game but she delivers a good line: "FUCKING HELL") then it's off to the finale.

Alas, I finished the memories quest and now poor Sara's innocence has been shattered somewhat. 

Spoiler

Sure, finding out there's still hope for MomRyder was a much needed break...but discovering the truth behind the Initiative, and just why the Milky Way hasn't responded to a single transmission in the last 600 years has gotta be a tough one to swallow. One thing to strike out at a new frontier, another entirely to discover everything you left behind may now be a dead, smoldering ruin and you're probably the last group of your peoples in the entire universe now.

It's also hilarious that for all the whiny nerd bitching about the stated reasons for going to Andromeda (because we can, recapturing the frontier spirit, etc) instead of it being an evacuation from the Reapers the actual underlying reason was just that all along, with the Illusive Man - for who else really can it be - wanting a contingency plan if all else failed. Speaking of the old bastard, a shame there hasn't been an opportunity to grill Cora Harper about her family.

Anyway, between that and a meeting with Drack in the medbay, last session was something of a downer. I almost get the feeling a follow up game could open with the old man's funeral, all that talk of replacement prosthesis and failing redundant organs didn't sound very promising. Which would be a shame because he's just a lovely, lovely space frog murder grandpa. Getting into trouble in bars, telling Ryder about how Kesh changed his outlook, dispensing family advice to Vetra, laughing at finding out PB's dad not being a krogan...he should get to have a nice, long, leisurely retirement.

Then again, he's a bloody krogan, maybe this is his perfect idea of retirement.

Between Drack, the Ryders, Jaal, Vetra and Sid, there is something of a strong focus on family here. I'm already pre-emptively resenting the videogame conventions that demand a follow up will replace nearly everyone and mess around with the Tempest - I could quite happily take these guys and ship as is off exploring other clusters, they feel like a proper starship crew*. Obviously Drack's probably going, Pelessaria's too flighty to stay, Jaal isn't the explorer type but I can see the rest sticking around.

* Yes, even Suvi.

I'm glad that people are spending more time with it and despite discovering faults (I hadn't even thought about that plot hole @Captain LeChuck, but you're right) are enjoying the game and giving it the 7-8/10 it deserves :)

I know they have to establish the setting but the opening is terrible. Really slow and laborious to get through. It's no wonder people bailed on it after the trail (drth was right, it was a very strange decision to release the worst part of the game as a hook to get people interested) and the animation, some of the VA work and lip syncing didn't do it any favours but there is a tremendous game in there. Really strong story that ramps up (can't wait to read chuckies reaction to the final mission :) ) and a crew that wouldn't be out of place with the franchises best.

And MP which more PC people need to play, because @Takizawa is a slacker and is spending more time on campaign that playing MP.

I don't get the pain folk suffered at the beginning though. I really enjoyed the start of the game. It sets things up really well!

11 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Nothing wrong with that. :).

Thing is, I reckon those early emotional scenes will actually work on a second play, because you then really know the characters. :)

Heh, this could be why I like it....I did what I usually do with big games and give it a try, get happy with the game mechanics and then restart. This happened three times in this instance, so by the time I started a proper run, I was quite familiar with them all :D

Yes, this is the first ME game where the engineer / infiltrator classes seem a little dull, not withstanding considerable opportunity for sniping.  I need to figure out an alternate load out for the more close encounters.

15 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Biotics are the best! :D

Edit: No need for throw. Overload is great as it can detonate singularity, but can also prime a target for detonation if used first. So you can follow Overload up with Lance. 

Bye bye shields! :bye:

I meant Pull##

And Lance is so damaging it works fine on shields/armor...

They annoying thing is that the shield cost per lance seems to be based on percentage rather than value. Put a +50% Max Shields mod on chest and still get same casts.

I've also lost/used my aug for +30% power damage with a full clip. Can't seem to craft/buy a replacement :(

I crafted an M8 Avenger last night. Vintage heat sink, bunch of bonuses, 2 extra mod slots. I don't even care that it's a crappy rifle when it comes down to it, it's not like I'm gonna use it when I've a Black Widow with 60 odd shots to hand. I just wanted one for its sheer iconic status.

Yeah, sniping is harder yet I guess it is more rewarding now when you do head shot some sucker 70m away who's darting across the field like Usain Bolt thinking he's hot shit and then his head explodes and Jaal yells "EXCELLENT SHOT!" and it's time to spill drinks on the Cita- Nexus.

Still can't stop taking pictures.

58e3c3bc9240e_MassEffect_Andromeda_20170330002510.thumb.jpg.59eacbd08d25131ae84843bec8d09add.jpg

58e3c2bac8959_MassEffect_Andromeda_20170402232236.thumb.jpg.5dfa613fff58b51e54c66f3f92111894.jpg

58e3c2beb3852_MassEffect_Andromeda_20170403012749.thumb.jpg.f23c0f8315a6c5caba73058b12100402.jpg

58e3c3c0d9870_MassEffect_Andromeda_20170402014242.thumb.jpg.3a3f5b3ed4de1b76c84727da8bce6744.jpg

58e3c3c46c41b_MassEffect_Andromeda_20170403022741.thumb.jpg.baa8b92e8eceb531b78aedb083fb53c0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Patch 1.05 is coming out on Thursday. I'm pretty happy now at my decision to focus on Persona 5 instead. I'm sure I'll replay Andromeda at least once more but I may as well wait a month or two and have the rest of my first play through be with the improvements. 

We’ve introduced a number of balance changes to single player and multiplayer, and resolved some issues with saves not working properly. We’ve also improved lip-sync and facial acting during some conversations, and have implemented a much-requested change that allows players to skip the autopilot sequences in the galaxy map.

Patch 1.05 Notes

Improved tutorial placement

Single player balance changes: Ammo crates, armor, weapons, nomad, profiles, attacks, and progression

Multiplayer balance changes: Weapons, cover, and enemies (check back for detailed notes on balance changes)

Added option to skip autopilot sequences in the galaxy map

Improved logic, timing, and continuity for relationships and story arcs

Improved lip-sync and facial acting during conversations, including localized VO

Fixed various collision issues

Fixed bugs where music or VO wouldn’t play or wasn’t correct

Fixed issue where global squad mate banter sometimes wasn’t firing on UNCs

Fixed issue where player was unable to access the Remnant Console Interface after failing decryption multiple times

Fixed issue where fast travel is sometimes disabled after recruiting Drack until the player reloads a save

Fixed issue where Ryder can become stuck in the start of Biotic Charge Pose

Fixes issues related to some saves

Fixed issue where objective sometimes becomes un-interactable for players in multiplayer

Streaming and stability improvements

There is a bigger blog post about it here

This Thursday, we’ll release a new patch that addresses technical fixes (crashes, improved performance), but also adds a number of improvements we’ve heard you ask for, such as:

Allowing you to skip ahead when travelling between planets in the galaxy map

Increasing the inventory limits

Improving the appearance of eyes for humans and asari characters

Decreasing the cost of remnant decryption keys and making them more accessible at merchants

Improving localized voice over lip sync

Fixing Ryder’s movements when running in a zig zag pattern

Improving matchmaking and latency in multiplayer

The full post is below (doesn't contain spoilers, just longer)

Hi everyone,

It’s been two weeks since the launch of Mass Effect™: Andromeda and we’re thankful to the millions of you who have already joined us on this journey. And though the game is now in your hands, it’s really just the beginning.

Since launch, our team has been poring over your comments and feedback, looking to discover what you like about the game, as well as areas we can evolve or improve.

This Thursday, we’ll release a new patch that addresses technical fixes (crashes, improved performance), but also adds a number of improvements we’ve heard you ask for, such as:

Allowing you to skip ahead when travelling between planets in the galaxy map

• Increasing the inventory limits
  •  
  • Improving the appearance of eyes for humans and asari characters
  •  
  • Decreasing the cost of remnant decryption keys and making them more accessible at merchants
  •  
  • Improving localized voice over lip sync
  •  
  • Fixing Ryder’s movements when running in a zig zag pattern
  •  
  • Improving matchmaking and latency in multiplayer

There are many more adjustments being made, all of which you can find in our patch notes.

Over the next two months we’ll be rolling out additional patches which will go even deeper and look to improve several areas of the game:

• More options and variety in the character creator
  •  
  • Improvements to hair and general appearance for characters
  •  
  • Ongoing improvements to cinematic scenes and animations
  •  
  • Improvements to male romance options for Scott Ryder
  •  
  • Adjustments to conversations with Hainly Abrams

These upcoming patches will also address performance and stability issues. And we’re looking at adding more cosmetic items to single player for free.

For multiplayer, over the same timeframe, we’re going to continue to build on the APEX missions that have been running since launch. We’ll be adding new maps, characters, and weapons. On Thursday, we kick off the first of three new chapters centered around The Remnant Investigation.

This is just a taste of what’s in store as we continue to support Mass Effect: Andromeda. And as always, you all play an important role in that. We want to hear from you about your experiences, both what you love about the game and what you’d like to see changed. We’re listening, and we’re committed to partnering with you as we continue to explore the Andromeda galaxy together.

Here’s to a great journey,

Aaryn

• Upvote 3

Improvements to Gay Scott Ryder in coming patches 

But I'll be done by then having settled on Gil due to blue balls :(

Some good changes in there though 

I am rather confused by these patch notes. Could someone please help me by clarifying whether or not this patch will lead to a more pleasant gaming experience?

2 hours ago, Radish said:

Improvements to male romance options for Scott Ryder

Good.  I heard there were 2 dull male side-characters you could pick to romance if you had Scott Ryder.  Very disappointing.

At least, in Inquisition, the male characters you could romance as the male Inquisitor were in your main party, and had excellent backstories.  The gay romance options in Andromeda seem highly disappointing. 

Not to mention, we went from being able to boink this handsome devil:

DragonAgeInquisition-2014-11-22-14-36-43

To being able to boink this generic looking motherfu- :

Gil%20Brodie_0.jpg

Could have at least given us one squadmate option....

• Upvote 2

Just pootling about on one of the seemingly innocuous sidequests that I don't even recall where I picked up and, er, something rather unexpected happened at the end of it.

The Primus (the Archon's #2) and I cut a deal to allow me to get in close enough to kill the Archon. She still wants to conquer the cluster eventually but for now she just wants him gone because she's sick of all the obsessing over the Remnant shit.

There is, of course, absolutely no way at all that this will bite either of us on the arse.

Re: spoilers above, LeChuck has it right there! The sensible choice. 

Just finished the game - 92 hours, all major sidequests done, 100% viability. Great climax, enjoyable epilogue: best Mass Effect ending since the original, by my calculation. A very pleasant surprise after the atrocious start. 

• Upvote 1

i just don't understand how it is a wise business decision to release the game with this many problems and then spend money anyway after the first two months of sales to complete it. Basically killing day one sales for your next game. The statement reads like an backer update for a game on early access. Improving lip sync? Hair? It's a repeat of what they did with battlefield and judging from battlefield one sales people forget quickly I guess. -_-

• Upvote 1

Give it five years and the patch improvements will be sold as "premium dlc". It's a fucking farce and the idea of it - not unlike the many studios EA have swallowed over the years - needs to be taken out the back and shot. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

More sex options front and centre for how to fix this game. 

:rolleyes:

Oh it's definitely not first and foremost what they should fix.  Just kind of a slap in the face to any gay players, especially after coming from Inquisition which had a very well developed gay character like Dorian.. so I hope they introduce more options besides these two side characters with limited interaction.  At least a male squad mate, possibly even a brand new one.  They've been known to add new squadmates via DLC before.. Javik in ME3.

• Upvote 2