IGNORED

Mass Effect Andromeda

davejm

Whilst it is in a way nice that they're asking fans for opinions we really don't want a Mass Effect game designed by committee.

I like this user comment on Eurogamer

NO!

Stop asking us what the games should be like. Imagine if Spielberg asked audiences what dinosaurs they'd like to see in Jurassic Park, if thatgamecompany asked whether or not there should be combat in Journey, Picasso whether he should us more realistic proportions.

My only request: Create and share your art. Have some conviction in your creative decisions. Don't try to please everybody, everything shouldn't have to appeal to everyone. If it did life would be boring as hell.

I don't think asking fans about what parts of the game they like best is trying to please everyone and lacking vision, you gather the data then make judgements over what you want to do, and sometimes that's nothing. Massive user feedback studies and play metrics gathering exercises happened during the development of Hitman: Blood Money, all the Halo games and the first three Mass Effects (edit- the papers about Blood Money and Halo 3's playtesting and play metrics are a good read if you can get them) to name a few, and they were generally pretty well received. The Last of Us probably also had a small army of gamers plonked in front of it over the course of its development.

The only change here is they've stopped pretending it isn't happening.

There is also the secondary important issue. People have no idea what they want or what they will like, they think they do but are so frequently wrong. What they don't like is slightly better but without any mention of why that's also pretty useless since a thing that doesn't work in the right context could be brilliant.

There is also the secondary important issue. People have no idea what they want or what they will like, they think they do but are so frequently wrong. What they don't like is slightly better but without any mention of why that's also pretty useless since a thing that doesn't work in the right context could be brilliant.

Yes, user data is completely useless at best and actively hostile to quality at worst if you don't analyse it properly.

homer_15.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yay, exploring in the Mako is back! Suck it, Mako-haters.

Zhx39Ltl.jpg

tZjWwRFl.jpg

Still being cagey but it sounds like they're taking the easy route of setting it during the 'chunk of frozen meat on a Cerberus slab' years or perhaps even earlier. No dealing with sentient baseball caps or corpse dudes walking around confused with another corpse for an arm.

Yay, exploring in the Mako is back! Suck it, Mako-haters.

As long as it is actually the case that exploring in the Mako is back, rather than just the Mako returning for use in specific missions, that's positive news. Frankly, they could have you flying around in the fucking Hammerhead - it's the exploration of planets that was really missing from the later games, rather than just the fun bouncing around of the Mako.

Trying to appeal to as many as people as possible is what destroyed Mass Effect for me. The first one is one of my favourite games of all time so when I played 2 with much anticipation I was devastated to find they had turned it into generic cover shooter 347. I didn't even bother with number 3. Had I not sold my 360 I would play ME1 again and again it is a near masterpiece IMO.

The bit that lost me was that it stripped out all of the bits I find interesting about RPGs. I want hubs to run around and quest in, like Ilium or Noveria, 3 stripped all those away except for the Citadel in favour of more waist high cover, which is just terrible at giving you an idea of the world.

Also the plot got incredibly shit as the series went on, to the point where it was on the level of an Orci and Kurtzman reboot within the trilogy.

I like the the setting, the lore etc. I don't care about Shepherd or the cast of characters from previous games as such, but I love sci-fi and the ME universe is good, so I'd look forward to a fresh story set within it.

Nail on head there for me.

The setting and lore is just superb, I want more more more....can be like when Star Trek > Star Trek Next Generation.

This seems an unpopular opinion, but I really loved 3 the most. Traveling the galaxy, getting everyone to fight for you just seemed so...epic! The ending was disappointing though yeah, in terms that you made so many decisions in the 3 games, you would have expected an ending a little more tailored to those decisions, not just some generic cut scene with different coloured lights.

It's true that ME1 is very different from the other 2 games, so I can see why many people who were expecting the same were disappointed in the change to combat. I loved it though, and think it was needed. The ME galaxy was becoming ever more dangerous, with action needing to be taken by our hero to save it...the combat mechanics of the 1st game just wouldn't have been up to the kind of situations that Shepard was inevitably needing to face.

Still being cagey but it sounds like they're taking the easy route of setting it during the 'chunk of frozen meat on a Cerberus slab' years or perhaps even earlier. No dealing with sentient baseball caps or corpse dudes walking around confused with another corpse for an arm.

It all sounds safe as fuck right now.

I can't be dealing with any of this "homage" shit. I don't give a fuck about nods to past characters or whatever - give me NEW SHIT to fall in love with again.

• 2 weeks later...

Drew Karpyshyn, he was their big writer and he's pretty awesome, He didn't leave for SWTOR, he wrote the JK storyline and that was pretty much it, he left Bioware completely because the books he was writing were selling very well so he's concentrating on that.

• 7 months later...

Your expectations must have been pretty low for them to have been boosted by the fact that they're doing motion-capture. I mean, in terms of news, it's better than them saying "it's an F2P mobile game aimed at the Korean market" or "TotalBiscuit is the lead designer", but it's not massively exciting.

You appear to be confusing Mass Effect 3 (a godawful blight on the series) with Dragon Age Inquisition (a decent game and thus mild return to form after the twin horrors of DA2/ME3) again :P

:D I know I'm in the minority on DAI, but to call Mass Effect 3 a blight on the series also puts you in the minority, I feel.

We could debate this forever and eternity. :)

Well, I think Mass Effect 3 is a glorious thing indeed (just started up up again yesterday), but I think DA:I is bloody brilliant as well.

I suspect the thing I'm worried about with ME:4 is that they're going to make it completely open, which then kind of buggers up the 'feel' of the ME series. But we'll see I guess.