rllmuk
davejm

Mass Effect Andromeda

1 hour ago, Orococco said:

I'm about 6 hrs into the game, on Eos. Surprised how much I'm enjoying it. It reminds me of the first ME - flawed but loveable. 

I was thinking exactly the same. Was expecting it to be terrible but I'm really enjoying it. The first mission does drag though.

I'm glad to hear things improve. I'm a big ME fan but the first mission has dragged ridiculously badly. I tried to manually save several times, eventually died and just quit out at that point. Hopefully it will have saved properly and I can go back to it and trust that it will improve.

42 minutes ago, superstarbeejay said:

I'm glad to hear things improve. I'm a big ME fan but the first mission has dragged ridiculously badly. I tried to manually save several times, eventually died and just quit out at that point. Hopefully it will have saved properly and I can go back to it and trust that it will improve.

It's pretty pants as intros go, but it all starts when you get to a planet. And it's really good.

Please make No Man's Sky 2 have planets and environments looking this good.

Fucking hell, good thing I am not epileptic. Just had two back to back cut scenes at the end of the first mission where it got stuck on a rapid strobing bit. I was viewing it in 4k/hdr mode in the dark - hurt to look at the screen. 

The more people say how Andromeda reminds them of ME1's cluttered, confusing, imperfect sort of enjoyment, it makes me even more annoyed that they aren't now going on to do the equivalent of ME2. 

• Upvote 1

It's a shame, and it seems incredible to me that such a big series (albeit one with a rocky history) could suddenly be considered unviable. EA and the internet take some of the blame, but wasting a couple of years pursuing procedural generation was nuts given the stakes. Bioware needed to make the case for a solid smaller-budget effort that could exist alongside Anthem, but they got too ambitious. 

Downloaded this from EA Access and I'm quite looking forward to some space opera if i'm honest. Played an hour or two of ME3 (maybe 2 as well?) and never touched it again (not sure why) so quite interested in a stand alone story set in the same universe!

35 minutes ago, Bulldogauto said:

Downloaded this from EA Access and I'm quite looking forward to some space opera if i'm honest. Played an hour or two of ME3 (maybe 2 as well?) and never touched it again (not sure why) so quite interested in a stand alone story set in the same universe!

Apart from the gash facial models and poor animation (and hideous flashing stuff above) it's decent.  

I think I must be easily pleased because I'm loving this. Looks tidy on the Pro and I'm finding the story etc pretty exciting. But then I didn't have much of a problem with the ending of ME3 so what do I know.

• Upvote 3

Still really enjoying this, but it's so distractingly janky at times. It's not consistent, and in such stark contrast to when it's good, that I think it can often seem worse than a previous gen game. Eyeballs swiveling all over the place and skin colour, faces so utterly static when talking that they look like an advert for Botox, characters doing weird stock animations while talking to you and never even facing you, etc.

Good job I'm really enjoying everything which doesn't involve talking.

Just started this. The dialogue is terrible. Some of it sounds like it was written in another language and then Google translated.

I think though, going forward, maybe I should try and embrace it, and enjoy it like a b-movie. The "Milky Way rules" line did make me chuckle.

It's got me hooked. I've mentally filtered out the dialogue, because the gameplay is totally engaging. Story feels like a bit of a rehash so far, but that's ok.

I love the environments, too. I think I've spent most of my time exploring. And punching things, with my 40k-esque armour.

Same here, I'm pretty hooked now. And I've become more forgiving of the cheesy dialogue. Not so much of the facial models though. They really should be a lot better than they are.

I like the addition of the jet pack jump. Adds some verticality to the combat.

How big are the other planets that you have to make viable? Are they as big as Eos? I've been dicking around on there for a while now, and not really moving the story on much, although I now have the full roster of squad mates. Also, is there a level cap?

It seems Bioware haven't really learnt any lessons from the likes of Witcher 3. A lot of the quests are just the same old busy work. Still enjoying exploring Eos though, especially now the radiation has gone.

1 hour ago, Monkeyboy said:

How big are the other planets that you have to make viable? Are they as big as Eos? I've been dicking around on there for a while now, and not really moving the story on much, although I now have the full roster of squad mates. Also, is there a level cap?

It seems Bioware haven't really learnt any lessons from the likes of Witcher 3. A lot of the quests are just the same old busy work. Still enjoying exploring Eos though, especially now the radiation has gone.

3 more of a similar size and 2 smaller others.

Theres a lot of game there if you want to clear the entire quest log...

• Upvote 2

I am a bit obsessive when it comes to clearing quests, no matter how small or seemingly inconsequential, as I expect are a lot of people who play these type of games. I've got Eos at 86% viability now though, so might move on and see what else is out there.

Another question while I'm here, about the mining when in the Nomad. I take it the little mining icon turns blue when you've mined all resources in that area?

Three planets at 100% viability now. Honestly, I'm really enjoying it (probably more than ME3). I've just switched off the Xbox. Been a while since I played a videogame until 2 in the morning, so it must be doing something right. Although, RPGs are probably one of my favourite genres, so I tend to cut them a bit of slack.

• Upvote 3