rllmuk
davejm

Mass Effect Andromeda

http://blog.bioware....oware-montreal/

That evolution now takes its next step, with the news that the next Mass Effect game is already in development, driven by the team here in Montreal. This is the goal we have been working toward for years now, and every member of our team is proud, excited, and humbled to take on the responsibility for the next game

Might be a good idea to keep this thread free of ME1,2,3 spoilers (I'm still working through 3).

Good news this, I've really enjoyed the series. I guess it was inevitable they'd work on a follow-up.

Post Release

Edited by gospvg
added post release link

Bioware Montreal studio head (Yanick Roy) has blogged about the next Mass Effect game. No details yet, apart from it using the Frostbite engine, but good news is that is the same studio responsible for large chunks of ME2, including most of the DLC + the Multi-player for ME3:

http://blog.bioware....oware-montreal/

AN UPDATE FROM BIOWARE MONTREAL

POSTED ON NOVEMBER 12, 2012 BY BIOWARE

Hello Everyone,

I am really excited to share some news with you today, but first, since most of you probably don’t know who I am, I thought I would start with a bit of an introduction.

I was born and raised not too far from Montreal, in the province of Quebec, and while I won’t bore you with the details, I was lucky enough to grow in an environment where videogames were very present. The passion I had for them resulted in a bachelor degree in Computer Science, and in time work took me to Edmonton. I’d regularly play pen & paper role-playing games with my group of friends, until we switched to PC RPGs and played through Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2, and Neverwinter Nights. You can imagine my surprise when I realized that the company who developed them, BioWare, was just down the street!

A few years later, in January of 2006, I was lucky enough to join my favorite game company! I was immediately assigned to the original Mass Effect, which was in very early production at the time, as its Senior Development Director. I worked closely with Casey Hudson and the Leads team through the rest of ME1 and the first half of ME2, when BioWare decided to open another studio in Montreal. I was honored to be asked to lead the team, so I wrapped up my work in Edmonton and moved back to Montreal in the summer of 2009, where our small team was being put in place.

Because BioWare has always believed that the company culture is one of the key ingredients of the games we make, we took two important steps with the team. First, we deliberately seeded the new studio with many transfers from Edmonton. Second, we chose to grow the team relatively slowly, allowing new people to join the team and integrate into its culture in due time. Even with that approach, though, the Montreal studio has made significant contributions to the Mass Effect franchise. We started by building about half the cinematics for ME2, then most of its N7 missions, and finally we played an important role in the development of much of its post-release content. Then on ME3, we took charge of the multiplayer portion as well as making significant contributions to the single-player campaign. Most recently, we built a large piece of DLC that will be released on November 27 and that you know under the name of Omega. With each new portion of work, we took on deeper and broader responsibilities, but we always worked in conjunction with Casey, the Mass Effect leads, and the developers in Edmonton.

That evolution now takes its next step, with the news that the next Mass Effect game is already in development, driven by the team here in Montreal. This is the goal we have been working toward for years now, and every member of our team is proud, excited, and humbled to take on the responsibility for the next game.

To ensure a proper and effective transition, we’ll continue to be supported by the Edmonton studio through the game’s development, working with and learning from them on some critical initiatives. On top of that, Casey remains the Executive Producer, but he will have a Project Director under him, working in Montreal, leading our development team and making day-to-day decisions for the game. We all care very much about Mass Effect and make our decisions based on what’s best for the game.

There is really not much I can tell you about the game right now, except that it will be built with the amazing technology of Frostbite as its foundation, enhanced by many of the systems that the Dragon Age III team has already spent a lot of time building.

The other thing I can tell you is that, while it will be very respectful of the heritage built over the course of the first three games, with the original trilogy now concluded and the switch over to a new engine, we are exploring new directions, both on the gameplay and story fronts. You can still expect the pillars the franchise is known for to be fully intact though, including diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore, and of course rich, cinematic storytelling.

Now that the core of our team is in place, the next step for us is to have the BioWare Montreal studio grow at an accelerated pace over the next year as we build a team large enough to support the production of what we know is going to be an amazing game in the franchise. If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, keep an eye on our job postings. We’re always looking for talented and passionate people, but it is more the case now than ever!

We’re all looking forward to telling you more about this next Mass Effect game, but it’s probably going to be quite a while before you hear from us again. We know you have high expectations for the franchise and we want to make sure whatever we show you lives up to those expectations.

Thank you all for your interest and your passion,

Yanick

Studio Director – BioWare Montreal

@YanickRRoy

Damage is already done as far as sequels go, the endings while they looked the same are so different that it would be hard and stupid to just try to write that away so they could continue the series. Prequels would work though first contact war for example would be cool

• Upvote 1

I reckon a sequel set several centuries after the original trilogy could safely abandon most of the continuity while allowing them to handle a few remaining inconsistencies with some Space Magic or something. And allow them to keep a few choice characters around...

Liara, Wrex and The Shepard where players chose the correct ending in ME3.

Make it a exploitation game starring Blasto, styled and scripted after House of the Dead: Overkill.

"This one finds that some female parent copulators are always trying to ice skate uphill."

*crawls up into a Thorian's 'entrance', shoots the shit out of it till it explodes*

Badassfully: I'm too old for this shit.

• Upvote 3

Here's your story conceit for a fourth game:

regardless of your choice, ME3 ends with an energy pulse being sent through the Relay network. Just prior to this the ships warring above Earth were ordered to retreat. The energy pulse leads to a mid-jump disruption, causing several vessels — encompassing various races — to be dumped out in an uncharted part of the galaxy.

Cut off from the rest of civilisation, this impromptu flotilla has to chart unknown space, recover other scattered vessels, and try not to kill each other as cultures clash. Playing the role of Spectre — of selectable race — many seek your council out of desperation and a longing for the old way of life, turning to you to settle disputes, solve problems and help bring in a new form of order whilst the flotilla searches for a way to get home.

Rather than battling an ancient evil that just seems mildly ridiculous once stripped of its mystique, conflict would instead arise from the new alien races you encounter. An alliance with one could make you the enemy of another, and that's to say nothing of the potential domestic disputes as tempers flare and the more unscrupulous look to get ahead. Your decisions will affect the strength and composition of the fleet, a world of hard choices and harder consequences.

So, basically Battlestar Galactica mixed with Star Trek Voyager. It's probably not "epic" enough, though.

• Upvote 2

Not let Casey Hudson anywhere near the script alone? Quick distract him with bits of string!

That seems to be their official policy, yes.

Hopefully they'll make this a new trilogy, separate from the first three games.

That could be pretty good, the best bit of ME2 was the Star Trek style adventures where you could go off wandering sorting peoples problems. The 3rd dropped that element a fair bit with the clock ticking over story but ME4 could easily bring that back.

• Upvote 1

Personally, I'm just glad it's being done on the Frostbite engine. I hope their animators have upped their game. I'm playing ME3 right now, and while it is still very impressive game to look at, the character animation is laughable, with any scene requiring even the slightest intimacy or closeness looking awkward as hell.

Dragon Age: Inquisition looks better than their past efforts on the in-game animation front. Hopefully the change in engine will push them to refresh their libraries or introduce procedural variances; once you notice the same animations being used across DA, ME and SWTOR they can take you out of the experience.

Anyway, all that info can mesh with my proposal from a few posts up. I can hold out hope for a space cop — as opposed to space marine — game for a little bit longer.

It sounds like it's using the Dragon Age Inquisition template - basically going open world with lots of repeatable content and multiplayer integration, also likely microtransactions.

To be honest I'm not really interested, ME3 basically retconned so much that it was effectively a reboot within the trilogy - it's simply not the same setting that attracted me in the first place.

Took me a while to realise that IT was referring to the stupid Indoctrination Theory. Gaming's grassy knoll.

That's the only thing that redeems ME3. Without that theory ME3 is a turd the size of a Reaper.

• Downvote 1

That's the only thing that redeems ME3. Without that theory ME3 is a turd the size of a Reaper.

95% of Mass Effect 3 is excellent. All the IT does is take a badly written ending and turn it into a massively convoluted badly written ending.
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

95% of Mass Effect 3 is excellent.

That the ending gets out-sized criticism doesn't change that the plot of 3 is almost entirely shit.

Everything involving Cerberus throughout the series is retarded, and 3 puts them more front and centre, with a character that exists as an obstacle to the player rather than someone with actual in-world motivations.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Oh maaan! ME3's cool. Sure, the ending was sucky, but...all the stuff on Tuchunka (probably spelled that wrong) was worth the entry fee itself.

Also, drunk Tali.