rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Wii U

I'm fascinated by the fact that random thigns are still creeping on to the Wii U post Switch. Start of 2019 (or was it 2018?) there were loads of PC Engine games quietly released, including untranslated JRPGs. And every few months a handful of bottom of the barrel indie games. And Just Dance (although JD 2020 isn't coming to the Wii U, but is still getting a Wii release).

I like seeing odd stuff come out for dead machines.

Downloaded Shovel Knight: King of Cards for the Wii U just before Christmas but have been busy with other stuff. It's nice to know I've got a new Wii U game waiting for me when I find the time.

It's interesting how in the Youtube comments they state that they couldn't get this on Switch because this and Wii U apparently work on separate licenses and something to do with them not having a publisher prevents them having the other licence as well.

Since there has been confusion why the game is not releasing on Nintendo Switch: Switch requires a different license from Nintendo than Wii U, so in order to be able to port the game to Switch, we would first have to get a developer's license for Nintendo Switch, which is not easy for a three-person indie studio without a publisher.

Is shovel knight standalone? I have all the others. 

I just started wind waker, looks gorgeous. I'm sure it has some weird HDR in it is was nearly blinded at the beginning beach

46 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Is shovel knight standalone? I have all the others. 

I'm not sure, I got it as free DLC for the Treasure Trove edition of the original.

I just set up my Wii U again over the weekend, to play Breath of the Wild.

What a wonderful machine it is.

• Upvote 8

A hacked WiiU is an excellent Nintendo all-in-one console. Fully compatible with the GameCube and Wii (as well as those retro titles that came to the Wii and WiiU Virtual console), you can play allsorts of stuff on the Gamepad while lazing on the sofa. Like many earlier 3D titles that have come to the Switch, a smaller screen is kind to those older games. The GC controller adapter is also a bit of a gift; you only really miss out on the GC microphone games and memory cards as there's no port for that. But given the WiiU has an inbuilt mic and accepts external ones for stuff like U-Sing I think it's only a matter of time until you can play Odama halfway across your living room (and absolutely no further).

• Upvote 5

14 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

A hacked WiiU is an excellent Nintendo all-in-one console. Fully compatible with the GameCube and Wii (as well as those retro titles that came to the Wii and WiiU Virtual console), you can play allsorts of stuff on the Gamepad while lazing on the sofa. Like many earlier 3D titles that have come to the Switch, a smaller screen is kind to those older games. The GC controller adapter is also a bit of a gift; you only really miss out on the GC microphone games and memory cards as there's no port for that. But given the WiiU has an inbuilt mic and accepts external ones for stuff like U-Sing I think it's only a matter of time until you can play Odama halfway across your living room (and absolutely no further).

Any guides on how to do this?

It's criminal that they turned off Miiverse though.

I really wish some Miiverse/Streetpass style of features make it to Switch one day. I do feel it's missing something in this regard.

1 hour ago, Purin said:

It's criminal that they turned off Miiverse though.

I really wish some Miiverse/Streetpass style of features make it to Switch one day. I do feel it's missing something in this regard.

I never got involved with the Miiverse but I always feel faintly sad when I turn on my Wii U knowing all the tiny Mii's running around on the boot screen aren't real people on the internet any more.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Rob Rule said:

It is criminal, but at least the past has been backed up. I wonder if an app for the WiiU will ever be made to plug it back in, even if it can't be reactivated in the games themselves.

https://archiverse.guide/

Aaargh, that's amazing. Just looking at all my old posts. Thank you!

Yeh I finished Mario 3d World the other week and wanted to post a out it, but I couldn't. 

Xenoblade x seems built around a multi player mode which il never see 

Miiverse was so lovely, the worlds first and only non-toxic social platform. My son was only about 4 or something when we got the Wii U, and he would post ridiculous bad pictures and they would still get some thumbs ups.

• Upvote 3

I love it. I bought it last year off of here, not bought another game or console since. Perfect for a dip in and out. I never use thee shit pAd though, always use the pro controller