IGNORED

Nintendo Wii U

deKay

1 hour ago, JohnnyRyall said:

New Super Luigi Bros is the only game I've noticed going for a lot on the Wii U. I'm not sure but I think it was originally only available as a console pack-in.

I was glad when they eventually released the selects version as I'd been wanting to play it but not at £50.

Luigi was sold on it's own for £20-25 new. Mario + Luigi non-select would be the 'console pack in only' that you might be thinking of that's sort of a rarity.

I never quite understand how some games become sought after.

It's obvious why games like Panzer Dragoon Saga or Radiant Silvergun go for a lot - they're genuinely rare games that happen to also be good. But why on earth are people paying £60+ on ebay for History Legends of War on Vita? Surely no one plans on playing it.

I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years the Wii U game that goes for loads is something utterly shite. Something like Devil's Third.

Well for Saturn it's also a case of the games not having been ported.

Usually collecting goes hand in hand with nostalgia for what you had earlier in life, but in the Wii U's case who is going to have nostalgia with so few (relvatively) having owned it.

Saturn is 20 years ago. Yes it's exciting to hear x title of worth x amount now, but is that worth sitting on software for 20 years? (for those getting excited by the prospect of making money) Sounds silly to me.

2 hours ago, the_debaser said:

Here you go, you can thank me later:

1. Splatoon

2. MK8

3. SM3DW

4. Super Mario Maker

5. SMBU/Luigi

6. Bayonetta 2

7. Wind Waker HD

8. Pikmin 3

9. Yoshi Wooly World

10. Captain Toad

Lego City Underground just misses out because of its trash loading times

Reviewer sweethearts, DKC TF, W101 and Smash Bros all miss out simply because they are trash. 

Such madness. I mean, aside from your incorrect 'trash' listing, not a single game from that top 10 deserves to be there. The obvious top 10 is the following:

1. Super Metroid (semi-portable Super Metroid! The best)

2. Fire Emblem (despite being better in fully portable form)

3. Hyrule Warriors

4. Tokyo Mirage Sessions

5. F-Zero X (semi-portable 3D F-Zero! Which, as an added benefit, is considerably better than the original game by rights of not having the world's worst controller!)

6. Advance Wars 2 (despite being better in fully portable form)

7. Super Smash Bros

8. The Wonderful 101

9. Xenoblade Chronicles X

10. FAST Racing NEO (despite the stupid capitalisation)

(if we're disallowing virtual console games then Affordable Space Adventures, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and Mario Kart 8 would sneak in, in that order, though the last three would feel very much like padding)

(if we're disallowing virtual console games then Affordable Space Adventures, Bayonetta 2, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker and Mario Kart 8 would sneak in, in that order, though the last three would feel very much like padding)

And the Prime Trilogy is automatically excluded due to ruinous controls.

3 minutes ago, Wiper said:

And the Prime Trilogy is automatically excluded due to ruinous controls.

"Ruinous"?

Totally subjective. I love the independent aiming when coupled with the lock-on, you can hard-focus on one enemy whilst shooting the others. It works great and makes many parts of Prime 2 easier - that can only be a good thing, surely?

6 hours ago, the_debaser said:

As much as I loved the screen I think it was a huge misstep. The wiimote *was* the wii to most people. It's the reason why everyone bought it. So it's no wonder everyone was flummoxed when Nintendo announced a weird tablet controller for a console with the Wii name. 

A HD Wii with super accurate Wiimote technology would've sold far more than the Wii U.  I may not have had as much fun with this hypothetical machine but I'm sure it would've been best for business. 

But I don't care about what would've been best for business, I have had so much fun! So yay :)

I turned my Wii U on for the first time in months today to play the Wii U Mario Bros, which I've had on the shelf for over a year but hadnt got round to. I've completed the first zone already. So far it's like every other Mario Bros game I've ever played, only a bit prettier, and I can't say I'm especially enamoured with it. I'll keep playing though. 

Barring a sudden drop in price for Tokyo Mirage, which I can't see happening, I imagine this will be the last game I play on the console. It was my main console for all of last year and I've played some great games on it, but it's true that Nintendo need to move on now if they're to survive. 

And the best Wii U game is MK8, obviously. 

5 hours ago, JohnnyRyall said:

New Super Luigi Bros is the only game I've noticed going for a lot on the Wii U. I'm not sure but I think it was originally only available as a console pack-in.

I was glad when they eventually released the selects version as I'd been wanting to play it but not at £50.

It was available for about £25 when released. £18 on the eShop if you already had Mario.

4 hours ago, dataDave said:

"Ruinous"?

Totally subjective. I love the independent aiming when coupled with the lock-on, you can hard-focus on one enemy whilst shooting the others. It works great and makes many parts of Prime 2 easier - that can only be a good thing, surely?

Obviously it's subjective, but when I'm considering what to put in a personal top 10 I'm generally going to use my own preferences to guide me ;)

(and that whole 'making things easier' thing is why I don't like it; the fact that the game prioritised weighty controls over reactive aiming is part of their charm. See also those people who prefer the Gamecube/PS2 version of Resi 4. Though obviously they're wrong 'uns for liking Resi 4 in any form :P )

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I turned my Wii U on for the first time in months today to play the Wii U Mario Bros, which I've had on the shelf for over a year but hadnt got round to. I've completed the first zone already. So far it's like every other Mario Bros game I've ever played, only a bit prettier, and I can't say I'm especially enamoured with it. I'll keep playing though. 

Barring a sudden drop in price for Tokyo Mirage, which I can't see happening, I imagine this will be the last game I play on the console. It was my main console for all of last year and I've played some great games on it, but it's true that Nintendo need to move on now if they're to survive. 

And the best Wii U game is MK8, obviously. 

Buy Tokyo Mirage, it's totally worth any ( reasonable ) price.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

It's wonderful. One of my favourite 2D Mario games. Be sure to try the Challenge Mode once you've played a bit of the main quest; it's by far the best part of the game.

Wiper's top 10 does look like a bit of a joke - I mean it's got Xenoblade Chronicles X in it which is objectively a load of old bollocks on almost every level, and having put around 200 hours into it I feel well placed to judge that - but then I looked at the actual Wii U games I've played and while I've enjoyed all I've bought (bar Mario Maker, the biggest disappointment by far for me) and I do think it's a brilliant system it'd still end up in my top 10 as well, I don't think there are 10 better games than it. Whether that's damning or not I don't know, personal preference and all that isn't it and for me there's still more than enough superb games to be playing and replaying.

One of the the best things about the Wii U is that I've now got a handy best of Zelda and Mario box that I can force my daughter to play as she gets older. Or I will have, as various reductions make their incredibly rare appearances (currently on SMB3, SMW, SM64, SMG, SMG2, SM3DW, NSMBU, NSLU for Mario stuff and MM, WWHD, TPHD rather more sparsely for Zelda, but I'm looking to bolster that with LttP, OoT and SS). Binding of Isaac: Rebirth has been getting a lot of play recently as well, although that was purchased largely because the Vita version is remaining bizarrely and stubbornly undiscounted. Sales and cheap games have ruined me on that front.

10 hours ago, Wiper said:

Though obviously they're wrong 'uns for liking Resi 4 in any form :P )

That's a negging, Resi 4 is one of the best games ever created. I've lost count of the number of times I've bought it, completed it, laughed at it, marveled at it, wished I could forget it all and start fresh with it. It's glorious, and silly, and action-packed, and mental, and awesome.

I've only ever played and beat RE4 once, on GC at the time. Don't remember much.

Mario Maker just edges out Mario Kart 8 for me, though I've yet to play the RPG's. It's infinite limitless Mario that can also be shared the world over, how can that disappoint?! GamePad is also vital.

Played Splatoon recently and whilst it's certainly more'ish, it's content light all the same. Battle on 2 maps per day. Great fun, but it needs a lot more. Mario Kart offers more on the multiplayer front.

Wii U Pro Controller is the best controller ever made, I hope nothing changes about the feel on the Switch version.

2 minutes ago, NEG said:

Played Splatoon recently and whilst it's certainly more'ish, it's content light all the same. Battle on 2 maps per day. Great fun, but it needs a lot more.

Erm...no. It's 2 maps every rotation, for each mode. So every 4 hours (02:00, 06:00, 10:00, 14:00, 18:00, 22:00 for the UK) there are 4 maps in play (two in standard, two in ranked).

This thread - we've just had somebody having a pop at Resi 4, and now this on Splatoon. You don't deserve nice things you crazy loons.

1 minute ago, NEG said:

Well that's better, rather it changed sooner? Or had all maps all the time? Can I suggest that without getting burned?

No, no you can't. Back off of Splatoon, it's the best thing Ninty have done in years. It's glorious.

Expanding a little, the limited number of maps in each mode (in each rotation) means that the matchmaking is quick - the (relatively) small userbase is corralled into a couple of places and gets on with the 3 minutes of fun nice and quick. The more maps and modes that were available at any one time, the more fragmented the player base would be and the slower it would be to get games. It's all about simplicity for the players - turn on, boot up, get playing - you can spend time with your clothes/weapon to some degree, but once online it's right into things without too much bother about settings and modes etc. It also stops people just playing the same maps over and over - you have to get to know all of them because you can't just choose to avoid any and stick only to ones you want.

If you want full control you can go custom at any point and do what you like with friends of course still anyway.

I hope the inevitable Spla2oon has maybe 3 maps in each rotation (which they did for Splatfest events already), but I also hope they stick to the same basic formula as well once again - it worked, it's kept the game active and quick even on Wii U.

The Wii U kinda replaced my 3DS after I bought it. I don't really have the need to play games outside my house and played the majority of Wii U games on the tablet itself. I think the only game I don't really use the gatepad for is Smash brothers as we play on the TV multiplayer.

Mario Kart 8 is probably my most played game followed by Smash,  mario maker and 3d world.

Oh and resident evil 4 is still one of my favorite games of all time. definitely top 3!  it's one of the only games I can replay every so often. 

I am the master of Splatoon in my household, and it is simply the finest game to come out on any console in recent memory. The quality of the online play at the weekend was almost frightening.

I also have a major hard on for super smash brothers, me and the kids have had hours of fun with that, even if they did get bored of having their faces smashed in as I used little mac to my advantage. It's a great console, especially as it lets my kids play online without anyone calling them a cunt.