rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Wii U

If you haven't played them:

[What you've got is very good. Baseball in Party U is great fun, and we've had hours of laughs from Nintendo Land.]

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Super Mario 3D World- Best 3D platformers, the latter has co-op so could be ideal.

Rayman Legends- Best 2D Platformer on the system. Co-op for you and the boy.

Mario Kart 8, Sonic Racing Transformed (or MKWii)- Best kart racers, the former is better in MP, but the latter has a far better SP mode that can be tackled in co-op, with one player on the TV and another on the gamepad.

Zelda- Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword

Lego City Undercover is a great GTA for kids (and adults)

The Pikmin trilogy is magnificent. The first is dirt cheap whereas the third is better and a beautiful game that will show off what the console can do.

Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze are very solid 2D platformers, though can be very challenging.

If you like Bayo, you'll like The Wonderful 101.

• Upvote 2

Mario kart 8

Mario 3d world

NSMBU

Pikmin 3

Zelda wind waker

Zombi u

Deus Ex - so cheap and best version

Lego city - not so sure on this one, i got bored of it and has worst loading times in the history of gaming ;)

Those are my must haves, few others we have are good or multi plat

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Mario Kart 8

Wind Waker

Hyrule Warriors

New Super Mario Bros U

Super Mario 3D World

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Pikmin 3

The Wonderful 101

... Pretty much in that order

Also, if you've not got them multi-format:

Splinter Cell Blacklist

Arkham City

Rayman Legends

Tekken

Sonic & All Star Racing

Deus Ex Human Revolution

If you have a Wii Balance board, then Wii Fit U has some great mini games.

... The latter half should all be dirt cheap and all are better versions than the other consoles (maybe not Sonic), and it should be known that SSB is bloody fantastic and criminally overlooked.

Plus, you'll want a stack of eShop credit for NES Remix, Shovel Knight, Wii Sports, Tank! Tank! Tank! (Basically EDF junior), Bit Trip Runner 2... Virtual Console...

So.

Many.

Fantastic.

Games.

• Upvote 2

Oh my word...how good is the gamepad? I love remote play on the Vita, but this is a whole other level.

So many games to be bought, thanks all for the lists.

• Upvote 1

Oh my word...how good is the gamepad? I love remote play on the Vita, but this is a whole other level.

Yep, it's good. The range is terrible though unfortunately, plus I found it to be not so useful for Bayonetta 2 when I was playing on it yesterday, needs a big screen really - first game that hasn't really "worked" though.

So many games to be bought, thanks all for the lists.

Sadly, you'll note that everyone's list has the same games in it. It's got a high percentage of excellent games, but where shirubagan says "many" I'd say it's "enough". But enough for me evidently wasn't enough for most people to buy the machine in the end which is a shame, they're missing out on some cracking stuff and it'll mean it dies too soon.

• Downvote 1

Brad, get Nintendo Land for the family. It should be dead cheap and it's great for multiplayer.

All the Mario games are worth getting but priority for you should be Galaxy, 2, 3D World, NSMBU and if you enjoy the latter then try the Wii version.

3D World is brilliant but different to the Galaxies so you don't want to pass on those.

If you're not getting the new 3DS then Xenoblade Chronicles is a must. You'll need a Classic Wii Controller.

Pikmin 3 is so lovely.

Smash Bros is out in a month. Captain Toad next year. Eshop stuff too. I've not bought loads of games for mine, Mario 3d World and Mari Kart have had about 400 hours.

Get Rayman though; it's very good

Bloody hell, it came today and I thought I would be nice and get it all set up for the boy.

It is well packed isn't it, I have no idea how I am supposed to fit it all back in now I have taken most of it out. Updates are taking ages, but so be it.

So hit me... what are the top 20 (retail only for now) Wii/WiiU games I should get for this (We got Wii Party U, Nintendoland and Bayonetta 1&2 with it)

Mario 3D World - Superb, varied platformer with a great multiplayer.

Tropical Freeze - One of best 2D platformers in ages. Excellent level design, great presentation, a good challenge and the soundtrack of the year.

Wonderful 101 - Steep learning curve, it's advised to watch Saur's excellent system breakdowns first. But it's deep and rewarding when you get the hang of it. It also builds and builds to a batshit insane climax.

Zombi U - If you like survival horror that is. It's a true survival horror game, the type some people claim isn't made anymore.

Mario kart 8 - Just a ton of fun and gorgeous to boot.

Those would be my top picks for now. Also recommended: New Super Mario Bros U + NSLU (not a big fan of the art, but the gameplay is superb), Lego City Undercover if you like a fun open world game for the young and old, Wind Waker HD if you want to experience it again, Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends (if you haven't played it before, the Wii U version is probably the best one). Oh, and Shovel Knight next month.

Such a good little machine. :)

Well it is all packed away again (console and controllers anyway, left the leads out so it can just be plugged in).

Had a quick go of Bayonetta to "make sure it all worked" and I am rather surprised at how comfortable the controller is.

Think I am going to pick up a few Wii games (SMG, Donkey Kong, NSNB Wii) and one or two Wii U games to get him going (Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8) then go from there.

Thanks all for the advice, have it all listed down.

NSMB Wii just didn't grab me like NSMB U did. Maybe it's all the little extras, the challenges, the super play videos and so on that added that much more to it.

Am I the only one excited about Devil's Third?

I think I am.

Watching the Treehouse event again and it looks the right side of shit. Like EDF.

EDIT: I mean, you can catch a sword with your hands, steal said sword and use it to decapitate your attacker. :lol:

Not at all. I'm a huge fan of Itagaki's Ninja Gaidens, so I'm keeping an eye out for this. Technically it looked rough at E3, but the gameplay looks fun. Will be interesting to see how much it's been improved since June.

I think NSMBU suffers by associated with all the other NSMBs. It's miles better than any of them and genuinely comparable with SMB3 and SMW. There must be loads of people who've never even given it a second glance because they found the DS or Wii iteration lacking.

Basically Brad: get New Super Mario Bros U. Don't bother with the Wii version.

• Upvote 9

I think NSMBU suffers by associated with all the other NSMBs. It's miles better than any of them and genuinely comparable with SMB3 and SMW. There must be loads of people who've never even given it a second glance because they found the DS or Wii iteration lacking.

Basically Brad: get New Super Mario Bros U. Don't bother with the Wii version.

I agree with all of this. It's packed with content and the level design from around the second area onwards is ace.

It really winds me up when people say it lacks the "charm" of SMB3 or SMW as a cop-out excuse for not giving it more of a go. They're talking bollocks, all of them.

It really winds me up when people say it lacks the "charm" of SMB3 or SMW as a cop-out excuse for not giving it more of a go. They're talking bollocks, all of them.

Who says this stuff? Who are these people!?

Stealth inc 2 has been getting some great reviews (with the exception being edge and eurogamer). There have been 8's and 9's across the board. Another good game for the WiiU. Lovely.