rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
deKay

Nintendo Wii U

I completely disagree. Bayonetta 2 is much more accessible and fun than W101.

For a few hours maybe, unfortunately there's nothing beyond the surface. TW101 is closer to Bayonetta than Bayonetta 2.

I wouldn't say Smash is an acquired taste either, I just had an evening on it with a bunch of non-gamers (10 ppl) and by packing up time they all wanted to get pizza and pull an all-nighter. It's no more an acquired taste than anything else on the machine, probably the least so infact.

Like DC07 said however, you should be sorted until after Christmas. Although there might not be tons of choice everything is brimming with content if you're a completionist.

Out of interest - what's the best way to expand the storage space? I'd like to go all digital as much as poss so will presumably need more than 32GB quite quickly...

An external USB hard drive is the best way - just make sure you order a Y-Cable to connect it up with as a lot of drives need one to provide the required amount of power. Something like this would be ideal:

1TB Drive: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008PABFX8 - £43

Y-Cable: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0047AALW6 - £4

Waited until today to find a better package deal than this but can't find anything.

Would people agree this is the best out there at the moment ?

Well the 4 games are worth £75 all day long making the console £125 plus you get a wii remote + and sensor bar so it seems a good deal to me.

You 'might' find a better deal in the next few days but I doubt it will be much better and I always think it's best to jump on an offer when I see it at a price I'm happy with. Waiting could end with you paying more or missing any deal completely.

With that bundle, it could be worth placing the order with amazon and, as it doesn't dispatch until next week, see what Flubit would offer in the meantime.

Also, you won't really need a 1TB hard drive for the Wii U. I went for a smaller sized one, even though there's a much worse £/GB ratio, and get a cheaper 320/500gb one which is more than enough.

Also, you won't really need a 1TB hard drive for the Wii U. I went for a smaller sized one, even though there's a much worse £/GB ratio, and get a cheaper 320/500gb one which is more than enough.

He said he was going to go 'mostly digital' - so I'd say it would be a sound move to go right to 1TB now given it's not that much more cost wise. SSB is 16GB for a start.

What's the cheapest thing to buy on the eshop? I need to spend £0.25 to qualify for a £5 voucher before the Wii U Premium thing ends at the end of the year?

I think it's Block Drop U - that's only about £1.30.

Be better to spend a tiny bit more a go for something like Toki Tori/Rush/Edge IMO - they're about £1.80

He said he was going to go 'mostly digital' - so I'd say it would be a sound move to go right to 1TB now given it's not that much more cost wise. SSB is 16GB for a start.

I've got every single demo, and MH3U, Pikmin, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, W101, Arkham Origins, Luigi U and about 25 eShop games and 20 VC games (plus all my saves and DLC), and still have 25GB free on my 120GB drive.

I've got every single demo, and MH3U, Pikmin, Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors, W101, Arkham Origins, Luigi U and about 25 eShop games and 20 VC games (plus all my saves and DLC), and still have 25GB free on my 120GB drive.

Yeah, but that's just 7 actual 'retail' games. How many games do you have on disc? If you had them all on the drive do you think you might need a bit more space? For example, if you now downloaded SSB you'd have just 9GB left - so not even room for one more game. You might just squeeze Toad in, but you'd deffo need a new drive before X/Zelda/Starfox et al hit.

My point more generally is, he can get a smaller drive now and save about a tenner, or get a bigger drive now and never ever have to worry even if he ends up with 20-30 retail downloads on it (which is not that many really if he really is going all digital).

For a few hours maybe, unfortunately there's nothing beyond the surface. TW101 is closer to Bayonetta than Bayonetta 2.

This is nonsense. Apart from the loss of a couple of arcane techniques, B2 has just as much depth as B1. B2 might feel over-familiar to someone with 100+ hours on B1 but its depth is still virtually bottomless. The W101 doesn't even come close.

• Upvote 4

Thanks for the the tips re sizes - I'd generally go for the larger one anyway - more user further down the line

My point more generally is, he can get a smaller drive now and save about a tenner, or get a bigger drive now and never ever have to worry even if he ends up with 20-30 retail downloads on it (which is not that many really if he really is going all digital).

Realistically, he's not going to end up with 20-30 retail downloads on it though is he. You'd struggle to do that even if you happened to like every single type of game going, and/or be willing to pay the premium to try. 10-15 would be more realistic, and even that's being optimistic. That being the case, better to save a tenner to put towards a game rather than have paid it for some useless space seeing as you can't share the drive for other use.

Is there anything good available for the U that isn't just old stuff recycled?

Nope, its the same as all consoles these days in that regard..

• Upvote 3

That link is going to the wrong bundle now - this is the stonking £199 one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P68FY0M

EDIT: Note it's now out of stock by the look of it - saying they expect more on Dec 5....

Boom! Been looking at WiiU offers for a while now - including used. This deal seems amazing. Contains all of the games I wanted....ordered!

Always loved nintendo. Even though I work for their biggest competitor I'm going nintendo all the way for my 4 year olds first console experience.

Just need to get one of those steering wheel attachments :)

edit -

hmmmmm... will I need extra storage space to install of the games that it comes with, or should I be alright with 8gb for a while?

HYRULE WARRIORS

hmmmmm... will I need extra storage space to install of the games that it comes with, or should I be alright with 8gb for a while?

None of the games need installing. Unless they're download codes, in which case you won't have enough for any of them.

Bought the £199 Amazon package for the boy's Christmas present. Though I suppose my partner and I will get roped into playing Mario Kart/3D as well. It's a hard life.

• Upvote 1

I'd absolutely recommend NintendoLand if you have a couple of Wii Remotes knocking about. Amazing fun and perfect for Christmas day.

We have like 5 somewhere but I'm buggered if I can find them, annoyingly. I did find my Wavebird pads in the garage when I was hunting though!