rllmuk
deKay

Nintendo Wii U

Just ordered a Wii U with Lego City, Rayman Legends & Nintendo Land.

Mainly for the little boy but I'm sure I'll get plenty of enjoyment out of it too. Time to dust off the old remotes and Wii games.

Will no doubt pick up Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D World, Smash Bros and Monster Hunter in the near future.

• Upvote 2

I recently bought Wii U Monster Hunter for 350 yen(about 2 pounds I think). I haven't even put it in the wii u. I find the thought of starting that game intimidating and my occasional need for switching off my brain and grinding is being satisfied by Destiny on PS4 for the time being.

What's the game like when played alone? I read that the MH servers are region locked, so I can't play my Japanese version with people back home. I imagine 3 is fairly dead here in Japan, considering 4 has been out for ages.

I've been playing through Mario Galaxy 2 on my wii u recently. Never had a wii so its entire catalogue passed me by. I guess I don't need to mention that it's a fantastic game. I am pretty shocked at just how nice the graphics are. I was expecting a lot worse from a wii game.

Anyway I've been thinking of playing through more of the wii back catalogue while I wait for the wii u games I'm interested in to come out next year :)

I loved Wind Waker HD last year and I'd like to play one of the wii Zelda games. Reading metacritic suggests that they are both amazing, but reading this forum I think most of the mentions I see of them are people saying they are boring or rubbish etc.

Which is generally seen as the better game in hindsight? Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword?

Finally, I keep considering the recent Wii U Project Zero game when I see it on the shelves, but my recent experience with PT on PS4 leads me to think that maybe I shouldn't do that to myself :D

Love my wii u. Got a ps4 last month which I quite like too but even since then I've spent more time playing the wii u I bought over a year ago.

I loved Wind Waker HD last year and I'd like to play one of the wii Zelda games. Reading metacritic suggests that they are both amazing, but reading this forum I think most of the mentions I see of them are people saying they are boring or rubbish etc.

Which is generally seen as the better game in hindsight? Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword?

They both have issues. Twilight Princess is a bit too conventional in its design, is pretty dark and murky throughout and has RSI-inducing waggle, but on the upside it has absolutely tremendous dungeons and the best sidekick the series has ever seen. Skyward Sword is wildly inventive, looks gorgeous but has the worst pacing I've ever seen in a game and can get very repetitive - and you'll need a Motion+ remote if you don't already have one.

My personal recommendation is to go with Twilight Princess, but they're both fairly mediocre entries in the franchise IMHO.

Play the 3Ds A Link Between Worlds, it's awesome :)

That's high on my own to-play list, but I've become very cautious with new Zelda games after all the hype and praised heaped on Skyward Sword. :( Theoretically speaking though ALBW should be my ideal game, as it's a sequel to my favourite 2D Zelda.

I'm starting MH3U on Monday evening, wish me luck...

Link Between Worlds is probably my favourite Zelda game. It's beautifully paced and perfectly suited to the format.

I vastly preferred Skyward Sword to Twilight Princess, but it's a very marmite game. It has some of the most memorable moments from any Zelda game, and (if your motion plus works properly) is great fun to mess around in. I can see why people don't like it, but I never found it repetitive. It has probably the worst realised overworld of any 3D Zelda and a lot of handholding, but for me its well worth it for the high points and the combat.

Why, why, why didn't they unify the Wii U and Wii homescreens for ease of Virtual Console access?

As it stands I've got loads of titles on the (dusty, untouched) Wii but I don't want to transfer them over because it all seems so clumsy. Plus I don't want to lose Gamecube controller support etc.

It really is a baffling console.

I loved Twilight Princess, and thought it was every bit as good as Ocarina / Wind Waker (if lacking the magic of the latter), but I played it on the GameCube rather than the Wii, so I don't know how much the motion controls or flipped world affect things.

Yet to play Skyward Sword, but it's in my catch-up heap. I've heard it doesn't upscale as nicely as other Wii games?

Why, why, why didn't they unify the Wii U and Wii homescreens for ease of Virtual Console access?

As it stands I've got loads of titles on the (dusty, untouched) Wii but I don't want to transfer them over because it all seems so clumsy. Plus I don't want to lose Gamecube controller support etc.

It really is a baffling console.

Hack your Wii, back it up, then do the transfer and restore the Wii from the backup afterwards. You end up with all VC games on both machines!

• Upvote 3

Yet to play Skyward Sword, but it's in my catch-up heap. I've heard it doesn't upscale as nicely as other Wii games?

I've been playing it on the Wii U very recently and it looks superb.

Stop it! Don't open... that box!

attachicon.gifmh3umay2013.jpg

Oh dear... :lol:

Wait; what? Call me slow on the uptake (and the fact that I haven't hooked up my WiiU yet), but Wii games get upscaled when played on the WiiU?! I thought that was just NDF drivel...

It upscales in the way your TV will upscale an image, no fancy processing. My TV is crap, so the Wii U does a noticeably better job than it. Your mileage may vary.

The upscaling is really good, I think. A few extra jaggies, and text looks a bit odd (text anti-aliasing scales notoriously badly), but other than that it's fantastic.

My old Wii looked (and moved) absolutely awful(ly) through a component connection to my Samsung 5 series LED - this is night and day, although it's not a fair test as I'm using a Sony panel these days.

Could someone please briefly explain the appeal of Monster Hunter.

I recently picked it up dirt cheap(so cheap I had to buy it despite having no prior interest) but haven't played it. My image of it is that it's a massive grindfest with little to no story/characters etc, "go here and fight this monster, now go and fight another monster" etc etc, with a lot of complex leveling up and equiping items in between.

Am I missing something? Is there actually a story, or some sort of interaction with the world apart from killing monsters just because.

If my image of it is accurate it sounds like my experience with destiny, so I probably won't bother(don't need two games like that on the go at once).

The appeal is that what you're doing 99% of the time in it - fighting big monsters - is fucking fun.

There is a perfunctory story (with a fun script, as it happens) in the Village mode which is pretty much a thin layer over "now go and fight that monster". But whatevs to that because the game is fucking drowning in game mechanics, it is the antithesis of games that you slog through just to see the story out. There are so many systems on the go, which all add towards how fun the fighting is. But is it all about the fighting in the end, learning each monster, its moves, its tells, how it behaves differently when it's angry or exhausted, which zones it likes to flee to etc.; and there are a load of different weapons, each of which is has its own unique mechanics, each of which you'll need to find different openings on monsters to fight them effectively. There is a vast array of gear and weapons, and it's the armour that you use to customise your characters - there is no character levelling, (although a fairly meaningless XP-based ranking opens up once you reach the end game - you're talking hundreds of hours for a new player to even get there).

There is grinding due to some monster parts dropping rarely, but only if you want it. You can happily make your way through the game with a limited repertoire of weapons and armour, but it's really compelling once you understand the armour skill and weapons systems, trying to put together perfect sets for particular ways to play the game, or even for particular monsters or types of monster.

Did I even mention the co-op only online play? It's utterly glorious.

• Upvote 5

Could someone please briefly explain the appeal of Monster Hunter.

I recently picked it up dirt cheap(so cheap I had to buy it despite having no prior interest) but haven't played it. My image of it is that it's a massive grindfest with little to no story/characters etc, "go here and fight this monster, now go and fight another monster" etc etc, with a lot of complex leveling up and equiping items in between.

Am I missing something? Is there actually a story, or some sort of interaction with the world apart from killing monsters just because.

If my image of it is accurate it sounds like my experience with destiny, so I probably won't bother(don't need two games like that on the go at once).

Think of it as a slower more considered Street Fighter against Monsters, the more you play the better you get, it's very skill based, not about levels at all, every fight is different, and there is tons of loot to craft. The Monsters are brilliantly realised, total characters in themselves. Destiny stole loads from it and MH is the better game, in fact it's almost more a sport than a game.

The appeal is that what you're doing 99% of the time in it - fighting big monsters - is fucking fun.

There is a perfunctory story (with a fun script, as it happens) in the Village mode which is pretty much a thin layer over "now go and fight that monster". But whatevs to that because the game is fucking drowning in game mechanics, it is the antithesis of games that you slog through just to see the story out. There are so many systems on the go, which all add towards how fun the fighting is. But is it all about the fighting in the end, learning each monster, its moves, its tells, how it behaves differently when it's angry or exhausted, which zones it likes to flee to etc.; and there are a load of different weapons, each of which is has its own unique mechanics, each of which you'll need to find different openings on monsters to fight them effectively. There is a vast array of gear and weapons, and it's the armour that you use to customise your characters - there is no character levelling, (although a fairly meaningless XP-based ranking opens up once you reach the end game - you're talking hundreds of hours for a new player to even get there).

That does sound awesome. I think I'll take the plunge when MH4U arrives though. Animal Crossing/ Tomodachi Life/Fantasy Life are keeping me more than enough from productivity as it is...