Nintendo Wii U

deKay

Hmm. I've got NSMBU on order thanks to the price and praise it's received on here, but that Challenge Mode video has me worried; the gimmicky challenges look a lot of fun (the fireball dodging, balancing act et al.) but when it starts moving to the lengthy, scrolling-screen avoidance-based stages like the airship one it just makes me think of the unbearably tedious levels from the Mario games that ruined NES Remix 2 for me (no golf for me, alas, because I can't even finish the bloody Lost Levels or SMB 3 levels, or their related late-game Remix/Bonus levels, never mind three-starring all of them).

Still, if the main game is a little easy by your standards, hopefully that means it'll actually be enjoyable for me, rather than just frustrating!

I loved the Mario challenges in NES Remix!

The challenges are split by type; some are more straightforward time trials, some are collecting coins within a short time limit or finishing a stage with as few coins as possible. There's 80 challenges in all, each with a visible difficulty grade so there's definitely a load of variety. Plus you can save replays of your best performances so you can show your friends how good you are when they're over at your place last week and none of them care.

Do they unlock one after another, or can you jump around them? (I mean, obviously I'm going to find out soon anyway, but so's I know in advance...) If I can stick with the shorter, punchier challenges and just skip the 'get to the end of the stage while not sucking at a Mario game' parts I'll probably enjoy that mode, otherwise I'm not so sure...

(Re: NES Remix 2 - I three-starred every game completely, with the exception of Mario: The Lost Levels, Mario 3, and Kid Icarus, none of which I could finish. Everything else I loved,* so it stung to realise I couldn't unlock the final game due to not being able to beat those three games and the harder remixes based on them :( )

*with the exception of Zelda 2, which was genuinely awful, but easy

They unlock in sequence but I can't remember exactly how; it's definitely not a strict case of "beat this stage to unlock the next" though. Some unlock as you progress through the main game. You'll definitely have a few to choose from.

I've not tried those Zelda 2 challenges in NES Remix 2 but Zelda 2 terrifies me. I absolutely failed to beat that game as a youngster, for years. It's solid. And, uh, not really much fun.

I've not tried those Zelda 2 challenges in NES Remix 2 but Zelda 2 terrifies me. I absolutely failed to beat that game as a youngster, for years. It's solid. And, uh, not really much fun.

You should give them a go! I mean, they really are rubbish, but robbed of the actual levelling and general filler, it's very easy to plough through and get full marks on.

(Re: NES Remix 2 - I three-starred every game completely, with the exception of Mario: The Lost Levels, Mario 3, and Kid Icarus, none of which I could finish.

Ooh, get a load of mr. three stars on some of the stages.

rainbow stars on all the stages in nes remix 1 and 2, bitches!

Anyway, NSMBU's difficulty is like a lot of recent mario games. If you want to get to the end, then it's not so hard, but if you want to see and complete everything, it gets extremely challenging in places.

I've completed Mario 3, Mario World and NSMBU in the past few months and I think NSMBU has the most satisfying gameplay. Aesthetically, it's somewhat lacking compared to the others, in my opinion. With the notable exception of the lovely Van Gogh inspired stage, a lot of the design is a bit unremarkable. I find the nsmb style pretty crap in general. Also the soundtrack is nothing compared to the classic tunes of Mario 3, Mario World and more recently 3D world. The main theme in particular is bland and completely overused.

So yeah, I think it has the best gameplay of the 2d Mario games but in other areas it's missing a lot of the magic of the classics like 3 and world.

I have secured NSMBU and W101 from here in time for his birthday (101 is for me really) So all is looking good.

Quick question about pro controllers... do the ones that work with the Wii also work with Wii U?

I have secured NSMBU and W101 from here in time for his birthday (101 is for me really) So all is looking good.

Quick question about pro controllers... do the ones that work with the Wii also work with Wii U?

Yeah, you just have to plug them into a Wiimote, Wii U ones are totally wireless.... and the battery lasts a lifetime!!

Yeah, you just have to plug them into a Wiimote, Wii U ones are totally wireless.... and the battery lasts a lifetime!!

Cheers. I will get a Wii one for now (saw a few in GAME for pennies) then get a wireless one later.

Got hyrule warriors, wanted bayonetta but the indie shop in my home town got blacklisted by Nintendo for selling games before the release date like fucking idiots (still went because their trade in was double what GAME offered). Looking forward to it, most excited I've been for a zelda game since TP.

Got hyrule warriors, wanted bayonetta but the indie shop in my home town got blacklisted by Nintendo for selling games before the release date like fucking idiots (still went because their trade in was double what GAME offered). Looking forward to it, most excited I've been for a zelda game since TP.

I can report, as a first time Bayonetta player, it is fucking ace :)

Picked up the special edition from Gameseek for £36 delivered, but had it sent to my Mum's instead of here as I'm an idiot, so had to wait till I went round there yesterday to pick it up, now I am torn between that and FH2 on the X1 :P

Game price match trade in values now

Cheers. I will get a Wii one for now (saw a few in GAME for pennies) then get a wireless one later.

Sainsburys do a third party brand wii u pro controller for £14 and it's virtually identical to the official one except it's clear plastic, I have a couple and they're great.

Oh my word...how good is the gamepad? I love remote play on the Vita, but this is a whole other level.

So many games to be bought, thanks all for the lists.

Sorry this is late (been away with no internets) but I polled my kids (4 & 8) who said that Lego Marvel, Disney Infinity 2.0, NSMB U, MK8 and Batman Arkham City where their current favorites. Batman can be picked up for £5 from Game Collection at times.